Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

From Rotoworld:

Blue Jays 3B prospect Vladimir Guerrero Jr. went 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored on Tuesday for High-A Dunedin.

Guerrero Jr. continues to rake in his rehab assignment after missing a moth wit ha strained left patellar tendon. The 19-year-old is now 5-for-13 since coming off the disabled list with three doubles and a walk. Guerrero Jr. is expected to join Triple-A Buffalo in the coming weeks, and if he hits there, he should join the Blue Jays to finish the year. He's the best prospect in baseball. It is not close.

Dunedin is their spring training facility where A ball team plays (Florida State League). He can get at bats and continue rehabbing and or being monitored by Dr's there. If they sent him back to AA, that's all the way back in NH. 

Not sure why it would take "weeks" to get him to AAA.  He's healthy so just do it already.  What a joke.

Just out of curiosity, when is the last time we have seen a power hitting prospect this young? And.....what is his low ceiling when he down up to the bigs. With his great plate discipline, is .270 the lowest we see BA wise? I'm sure the power is there, jut not sure on the BA.

38 minutes ago, bgbg22 said:

Just out of curiosity, when is the last time we have seen a power hitting prospect this young? And.....what is his low ceiling when he down up to the bigs. With his great plate discipline, is .270 the lowest we see BA wise? I'm sure the power is there, jut not sure on the BA.

Outside of being a prospect there's zero reason to worry about the batting average. He's getting an 80 grade hit tool grade from scouts, which is ridiculous. He's got an AVG over 400 this year (330 over his career) and in his minor league career he has more walks than Ks (130:121). That's not supposed to happen. Harper, Trout, Bryant, Springer, Correa, Acuna...all the top minor league prospects to come up recently not one of them can say that and most aren't even close to those marks. It's not an understatement to say he's simply the best hitting prospect we've seen in recent memory. He's definitely not just a power hitter

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bgbg22 said:

Vlad’s age 19 season looks fairly similar to Pujols’ age 20 season to me. I’m not an expert at these things but I’d be willing to throw out Pujols as a comp. we haven’t seen a prospect that’s this complete of a hitter at such a young age. And, no, there’s no reason to worry about his BA. He’ll be a regular .300+ hitter year in, year out.

• Like 3

Just read that he's gone a full year without consecutive hitless days ???

My team's gotta fever and it needs more Vladbell. 

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2018 at 12:32 PM, Magoo said:

Why is he still in AA?

"Defense" - same as Kris Bryant circa 2015

22 minutes ago, Yanks#1 said:

"Defense" - same as Kris Bryant circa 2015

I meant vs AAA

I think they still don't want him to go to AAA and dominate there only for the union to file a grievance like the Bryant episode. It will be more of an issue the first couple weeks of 2019 though.

2 hours ago, Yanks#1 said:

I think they still don't want him to go to AAA and dominate there only for the union to file a grievance like the Bryant episode. It will be more of an issue the first couple weeks of 2019 though.

meh the grievance avoidance is a little much imo.  I get the feeling he is so comfortable in New Hampshire that that may be the reason.

2 hours ago, Yanks#1 said:

Never knew he filed a greivance. I brought up earlier the Union and lawyers never getting involved in the MLB service time so it's interesting to see that someone made an attempt. Unfortunately it looks like it was mostly posturing prior to the new CBA.  No changes came of it and the greivance is still pending to this day as far as I can tell. So doesn't seem like that's really much of an issue outside of some mildly negative press. Maybe they just want him in a place where he's comfortable so he's less likely to press or are just slow playing him in general knowing he won't be up till next year. 

Edited by Baur10

Funny because it was literally reported he was heading to AAA when he returned from injury. Guess they lied.

Also on a bright note, he homered yesterday.

The defense thing is legit.  I watched a couple of games and guy is a DH right now.  His glove just isn't showing up yet.  He's improving, but still has a career .939 fielding % and 30 errors so far in 2 1/2 years.  Also, whomever said something about the last young power hitter, we already have one going.  Juan Soto.  ESPN just had how there are like 4 guys with more HRs in their age 19 or lower first season.  It's crazy what he is doing.

20 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

The defense thing is legit.  I watched a couple of games and guy is a DH right now.  His glove just isn't showing up yet.  He's improving, but still has a career .939 fielding % and 30 errors so far in 2 1/2 years.  Also, whomever said something about the last young power hitter, we already have one going.  Juan Soto.  ESPN just had how there are like 4 guys with more HRs in their age 19 or lower first season.  It's crazy what he is doing.

That that to Devers from Boston. Defense is just an excuse, all guys make errors. His bat makes up for it 

I wouldn't say Devers bat makes up for much of anything, but I agree that Vlad's would. Kris Bryant is a better comparison for a multiple year look. Vlad's too young to be a DH IMO

• Like 1

By late August where's Vlad most likely to be playing?  Toronto's Triple-A affiliate is due to come to my town by that point.  Would love to see him hit live.

17 hours ago, Yanks#1 said:

I wouldn't say Devers bat makes up for much of anything, but I agree that Vlad's would. Kris Bryant is a better comparison for a multiple year look. Vlad's too young to be a DH IMO

Vlad's might.  He could tear up AA and even AAA then turn into Profar or Buxton in the majors.  You can't assume everything will transfer especially with a BABIP as high as his is.   His defense is atrocious as is and the majority of the Blue Jays rotation need strong defense behind them as they put the ball on the ground.  Boston doesn't have to deal with as many balls in play when they have guys like Sale take the mound.

27 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Vlad's might.  He could tear up AA and even AAA then turn into Profar or Buxton in the majors.  You can't assume everything will transfer especially with a BABIP as high as his is.   His defense is atrocious as is and the majority of the Blue Jays rotation need strong defense behind them as they put the ball on the ground.  Boston doesn't have to deal with as many balls in play when they have guys like Sale take the mound.

Who cares about his defense for fantasy purposes? He’ll probably be a below average defensive third baseman until they shift him over to first at some point in his career where he’ll be fine. And none of it will really matter when he’s putting up numbers similar to Pujols or Miggy year in and year out. There’s a reason his BABIP is really high - he hits lasers all over the field.

4 hours ago, daynlokki said:

They don't have starters like Sale. They have Sale then everyone else. And I don't ever see Vlad having the K-rate that Bux has.

7 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Time and time again I have read his defense is not awful. He also has plenty of time to improve, he's still a teenager. It's been said a lot that his glove is well behind his bat, which makes sense because his bat seems pretty special. 

• Like 2