Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

Yea Defense can always be improved or more or less honed as a skill.  Not sure why people want to banish him to cheerleader role on D so quickly.  He's freaking 19.  

Realizing that fielding metrics aren't the greatest in the MLB yet along in MiLB, but Guerrero Jr. has made big strides defensively according to Baseball Prospectus' Fielding Runs Above-Average (FRAA) metric where he ranks 0.5 runs above-average this year at AA.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/card/107184/vladimir-guerrero-jr.

He's never going to be a great defender at 3rd, but the plan is to start him there and transition him to 1st and then DH when/if necessary. He's already made progress at 3rd and he very likely will continue to as he gets more professional coaching and experience. His D won't hold him back from a promotion to the majors, it's all about team control and $ with a talent like him. I've been saying it for a while but he will get AAA playing time this year and start next year back in AAA until 2 or 3 weeks into the season when they secure the extra year of control, and he'll likely be called up then. Recent other examples of that timeline are Ronald Acuna this year and Kris Bryant back in 2015.

Edited by garlando
  • Like 3

judging by the 29% ownership in yahoo...in a redraft i'd say no. for dynasty, he should have been owned 2 years ago.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, larfboy said:

judging by the 29% ownership in yahoo...in a redraft i'd say no. for dynasty, he should have been owned 2 years ago.

To be fair 29% for a guy with no clear call up timeline is pretty impressive

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

To be fair 29% for a guy with no clear call up timeline is pretty impressive

agreed!

• Like 1

Hoping for a September call up... but doubt it will come. No reason why Vlad cant do what Soto is doing if not more... Defense however - different story.

14 hours ago, Yanks#1 said:

They don't have starters like Sale. They have Sale then everyone else. And I don't ever see Vlad having the K-rate that Bux has.

Buxton didn't have a high K rate in the minors.  329 ks in 1504 PAs for a 21.9% rate.  While Vlad's is lower, the environment he is in is very offensive minded, as seen by his other teammates like Cavan Biggio and Bo Bichette.  

18 hours ago, meh2 said:

Who cares about his defense for fantasy purposes? He’ll probably be a below average defensive third baseman until they shift him over to first at some point in his career where he’ll be fine. And none of it will really matter when he’s putting up numbers similar to Pujols or Miggy year in and year out. There’s a reason his BABIP is really high - he hits lasers all over the field.

Well his defense matters for fantasy right now.  If he can't get INTO the game, he gives you exactly 0 stats.  They have Donaldson at 3b and still are reluctant to bring him up even to DH.  That shows something.  They aren't gaining extra control, it's well past the Super Two deadline.  So unless they are planning on keeping him down to gain an extra year of control NEXT year, there is something there.  Watching him, he struggles with some routine plays.  

11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Time and time again I have read his defense is not awful. He also has plenty of time to improve, he's still a teenager. It's been said a lot that his glove is well behind his bat, which makes sense because his bat seems pretty special. 

Scouts have said his defense is bad from the get go.  From his Baseball America scouting report: He’s not a natural defender at third base. His first-step quickness and lateral range are below-average...He’s in a race against time pulling at him from both directions, as he needs more time to improve his hands, footwork and other technical aspects of his defense, yet due to his size, he might physically outgrow the position at some point

10 hours ago, STLSU said:

Yea Defense can always be improved or more or less honed as a skill.  Not sure why people want to banish him to cheerleader role on D so quickly.  He's freaking 19.  

Not banishing him, just know what the future holds.  He won't be any better than average at 3b and right now every scout is saying he's definitely below average.

50 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Well his defense matters for fantasy right now.  If he can't get INTO the game, he gives you exactly 0 stats.  They have Donaldson at 3b and still are reluctant to bring him up even to DH.  That shows something.  They aren't gaining extra control, it's well past the Super Two deadline.  So unless they are planning on keeping him down to gain an extra year of control NEXT year, there is something there.  Watching him, he struggles with some routine plays.  

See Garlando’s post above. The only reason he isn’t in the majors is 100% due to the extra year of control they gain by waiting until the 3rd week of next year. This is the same thing the Cubs did with Bryant and the Braves did with Acuna. Do not believe what the Jays front office is trying to spin here.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:15 AM, JDL88 said:

Funny because it was literally reported he was heading to AAA when he returned from injury. Guess they lied.

I think the original report was that Vlad Jr would be called up to AAA shortly upon returning from his injury. Though I'm sure that was twisted to make it sound like he'd be promoted right away. But I'm sure the plan was always to give him some rehabs starts before calling him up. I figure before / shortly after the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline would makes sense. More moving parts at this time of year, so there'll likely be an opportunity to naturally bring him up to AAA rather than making room for him in AAA to play. If he's not called up by the first week of August, then I'd say the reports were wrong or something changed along the way.

Bombs on back to back nights. Anyone heard of him? Seems pretty good. 

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

oh hes ready for AAA

Maybe if he homers tomorrow, then maybe, he’s ready. We have to be absolutely sure about his readiness before he makes that quantum leap from AA to AAA. I think he may need to hit .450 before they feel comfortable.

• Like 3

the treatment of Vladdy is pretty much determining my view of this front office... trades and other moves be damned. we pretty much know what's going on here and we can gauge their truthfulness/aptitude/priorities by how this thing continues to play out and how they speak about it.

13 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

oh hes ready for AAA

But can we be sure about his glove being ready for AAA.........:lol:

Watching what juan soto is doing for the nationals makes the blue jays look like a terrible organization.

When a guy is beyond ready you should give him a shot, service time be damned.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Watching what juan soto is doing for the nationals makes the blue jays look like a terrible organization.

don't disagree but i wonder if they would have brought him up if harper hadnt been doing so poorly

19 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

don't disagree but i wonder if they would have brought him up if harper hadnt been doing so poorly

I think it had more to do with the Robles injury, and the Eaton injury. Figured Robles was the next guy up.

On 7/25/2018 at 7:28 PM, meh2 said:

See Garlando’s post above. The only reason he isn’t in the majors is 100% due to the extra year of control they gain by waiting until the 3rd week of next year. This is the same thing the Cubs did with Bryant and the Braves did with Acuna. Do not believe what the Jays front office is trying to spin here.

They aren't going to call him up to DH... which is where he would play if he did come up as Donaldson is FAR SUPERIOR defensively.  So why stunt his defensive growth and bring him up in a lost season?  They aren't going to want to bench Kendrys as they want him to get at least some value so they can trade him during the waiver trade month.  I highly doubt they are that worried about the extra year of control at this point.  It's nice, but honestly if Vlad performs as he's supposed to he will have a long contract extension within the first two years of being in the majors.

10 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Soto came up because Eaton, Robles and then Kendrick got injured.  They weren't going to give full time at bats to Andrew Stevenson.

2 hours ago, daynlokki said:

They aren't going to call him up to DH... which is where he would play if he did come up as Donaldson is FAR SUPERIOR defensively. 

What are you talking about?! Donaldson hasn’t played in 2 months. You might as well reference Kelly Gruber at this point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1