Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

it's ridiculous at this point.....they have him locked in for the extra year...he's clearly healthy.....and is raking....what exactly are they waiting for?  It's early enough in the season to plug him in and hopefully go on a run to contend now....each game they wait could hurt them if they get into contention....just terrible management....even the friggin Mets did it right....and they even lost an extra yr....how are Jays fans not going crazy?  

• Like 1

we went crazy long ago, now we are just numb

The Jays next home game is 4/23.  That's why this date keeps getting mentioned in the thread.  They also have an off day on 4/22.  Bring him in on 4/22, put his name on the locker, let him do some press stuff, and play his first game in front on the home crowd.  I'd be surprised if they called him up on the road. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

The Jays next home game is 4/23.  That's why this date keeps getting mentioned in the thread.  They also have an off day on 4/22.  Bring him in on 4/22, put his name on the locker, let him do some press stuff, and play his first game in front on the home crowd.  I'd be surprised if they called him up on the road. 

So they are willing to not have a possible top bat in the lineup the next few games for optics?  This is why certain teams are just losers I guess.....

1 minute ago, Big Tuna said:

So they are willing to not have a possible top bat in the lineup the next few games for optics?  This is why certain teams are just losers I guess.....

They're 5-11...nobody pegged them to be good this year.  Tons of holes on their depth chart for position players.  Rotation is pretty forgettable as well.  Vlad will not fix all of this.  They have some nice help coming up the ranks in the minors, but this was a lost year before the season started.

• Like 3

Would be a great day to promote him on Jackie Robinson Day! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

They're 5-11...nobody pegged them to be good this year.  Tons of holes on their depth chart for position players.  Rotation is pretty forgettable as well.  Vlad will not fix all of this.  They have some nice help coming up the ranks in the minors, but this was a lost year before the season started.

I hear you but if I was a fan of the team that wouldnt fly with me.....he could be helping with 6 gmes under .500 vs 8-10 games for no good reason....but then again I dont surrender in April....you add the top prospect in some time it breeds excitement and possibly instant win streak....I just see zero reason to keep him down at this point and so many positives to bring him up....most of all winning. 

• Like 1

I really think they're trying to get his weight / diet / regimen under control more than anything right now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

....I just see zero reason to keep him down at this point and so many positives to bring him up....most of all winning. 

He's only now ready this year, so another week doesn't get my goat. He's still a kid. It's a 2 hour drive from Buffalo to Toronto. Celbrating your call-up on the road is no place to cement any newly developed, good eating habits. Nice to take your 1st ever AB in front of a big, excited, supporting crowd. I'm furious at the Jays and the universe for him not getting a cup of coffee last fall. But I can wait another week if it makes even a little sense.

Timing is there, however. AAA .500/.583/.900, he's seeing the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

I really think they're trying to get his weight / diet / regimen under control more than anything right now.

seems like something they should have been doing the past few years, if that's really why they are keeping him down

3 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

Mariners were thought to have a rebuilding losing year.  Look at them now.  You can't just give up the season right away.  What dumb managements!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbossman said:

we went crazy long ago, now we are just numb

Numb and Dumb!

3 hours ago, Maximus14 said:

Numb and Dumb!

Well they have legalized it up here 😉

16 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

seems like something they should have been doing the past few years, if that's really why they are keeping him down

Supposedly they did.  He just slipped up last year.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Maximus14 said:

Mariners were thought to have a rebuilding losing year.  Look at them now.  You can't just give up the season right away.  What dumb managements!

Still too early to say the Mariners aren't rebuilding.  I don't see them averaging 7 runs a game all year, and they are giving up more than 5 runs a game... which isn't good.

Edited by daynlokki

21 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

17 hours ago, Maximus14 said:

Rushing players through injury who are studs, in their prime, on good teams expected to compete isn't smart....

Here we are dealing with a 20 year old who has never played in the majors and even if he hits 40 Home Runs with a 300 average, they most likely don't make playoffs. I don't think the point is that they are giving up, they are trying to put Vlad in the best position to succeed. This year anyway. Last year they were just being greedy.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Rushing players through injury who are studs, in their prime, on good teams expected to compete isn't smart....

Here we are dealing with a 20 year old who has never played in the majors and even if he hits 40 Home Runs with a 300 average, they most likely don't make playoffs. I don't think the point is that they are giving up, they are trying to put Vlad in the best position to succeed. This year anyway. Last year they were just being greedy.

I just don't see how another week or 2 in the minors while he's healthy and raking makes any difference in his ability to succeed....

Posted (edited)

Who would he even replace if they called him up?  That lineup is just oozing with .140 hitters so I don’t see the logic replacement.  (Sarcasm).  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

I just don't see how another week or 2 in the minors while he's healthy and raking makes any difference in his ability to succeed....

To make sure he's healthy when he starts, and doesn't have to defend a slow start by claiming he isn't 100%.  Unless they hold him down for Super 2 until June or whatever or until next year, then there's no financial benefit to keeping him down for an extra week right now. Fantasy owners need to take a step back and realize major league franchises aren't playing for your fantasy  team.... nor should they.

5 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Who would he even replace if they called him up?  That lineup is just oozing with .140 hitters so I don’t see the logic replacement.  (Sarcasm).  

Drury

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

It makes a big difference in Toronto's ability to succeed 7 years from now.

15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

To make sure he's healthy when he starts, and doesn't have to defend a slow start by claiming he isn't 100%.  Unless they hold him down for Super 2 until June or whatever or until next year, then there's no financial benefit to keeping him down for an extra week right now. Fantasy owners need to take a step back and realize major league franchises aren't playing for your fantasy  team.... nor should they.

what teams should be doing is putting the best players on the field as possible. the blue jays are not doing this, and to imply this is merely impatient fantasy owners is misguided. a minor league rehab stint is perfectly acceptable for injury recovery, and is normal, but to leave a player who is clearly ready for the major leagues in the minors for no valid reason has nothing to do with fantasy managers lack of real world understanding.

if there is a valid reason to hold him down, i'd be glad to hear it. "when he's healthy" is not a valid reason, though. if he's not healthy, then he shouldn't be playing in the minors.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

what teams should be doing is putting the best players on the field as possible. the blue jays are not doing this, and to imply this is merely impatient fantasy owners is misguided. a minor league rehab stint is perfectly acceptable for injury recovery, and is normal, but to leave a player who is clearly ready for the major leagues in the minors for no valid reason has nothing to do with fantasy managers lack of real world understanding.

if there is a valid reason to hold him down, i'd be glad to hear it. "when he's healthy" is not a valid reason, though. if he's not healthy, then he shouldn't be playing in the minors.

Why are they holding him down in your opinion? There is 0 financial benefit in doing so unless you think they are waiting until Super 2, which I do not believe they are. I can't rule it out, but I'd imagine they pushed that envelope enough already. There are lots of players who should be up right now, but aren;'t because of service time manipulation.  I don't think Vlad being up yesterday vs next week has to do with that.

Edited by brockpapersizer

23 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Why are they holding him down in your opinion? There is 0 financial benefit in doing so unless you think they are waiting until Super 2, which I do not believe they are. I can't rule it out, but I'd imagine they pushed that envelope enough already. There are lots of players who should be up right now, but aren;'t because of service time manipulation.  I don't think Vlad being up yesterday vs next week has to do with that.

imo, i don't see a valid reason.

his bat is certainly ready, without question. from what i've read, his defense is adequate. maybe not spectacular, but certainly nothing that's going to jeopardize the MLB club, especially considering they're not in contention for a playoff spot. diet/fitness? not sure how that would be related to the minor/major league status. he can eat healthy and exercise just as well with big league club as he can with the minor league team.

why do i think they're holding him down? no idea, if not financial..