Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

From RotoGrpahs:

Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 3B, Blue Jays: I guess I can’t talk about the one stud 19-year-old hitter at double-A without addressing the other one. Things have gone a lot easier for the Jays prospect than they have for the Padres phenom. Guerrero Jr. is hitting .321 through 14 (chilly) games — and even has more walks than strikeouts at 6-5 (which is a trend throughout his career). He’s even showing signs of growing into his raw power with a slugging percentage well above .500. With the suddenly injury prone Josh Donaldson all but gone at season’s end via free agency, this young prospect may actually be ready to assume the third base job for the Jays at the age of 20. Heck, he may even get a cup of coffee in The Show this August or September if he keeps producing and stays healthy. And the closest comp I can think of for Guerrero Jr. is the late, great Tony Gwynn for the incredibly natural feel for hitting, the amazing eye, and the ability to put bat to ball with ease.

• Like 1

This kid is going to be fun to watch for the next 20 years in the league.

11 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Key words: this year

Key word: Moist

• Like 2

The real question is what are the odds he can stick at 3rd?

That bat, at that position, whew. That is a rare commodity for real. 

3 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Keith Law just had this to say..

2018-04-26_14-00-11.png

I want to pull the trigger so bad on this, but there's no telling when he'll really be up.

4 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Keith Law just had this to say..

2018-04-26_14-00-11.png

shhhhh_keep_it_down_walking_dead.gif

• Like 2

Acuna's celebrated accelerated development, where he improved his performance at almost every level:

R (17 yo) wRC+: 145

A (18)      wRC+: 139

A+(19)     wRC+: 135

AA (19)    wRC+: 159

AAA (19)  wRC+: 162

Vlad so far:

R(17)        wRC+: 122

A(18)        wRC+: 151

A+(18)      wRC+: 179

AA (19)     wRC+: 185

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Currently has a K% of 8.8% and a BB% of 9.9%. It's not often that a kid his age has a K% that low. Can't wait to see him towards the end of this year or in 2019.

bat is definitely ready. are they just waiting for super 2 deadline? or does his glove need some more time? could put him in an OF corner right now but they probably want to develope his glove at 3B. they say he has improved there but probably not quite mlb ready. might be a september callup. 

his bat will be great, K/BB rate is great and power is also coming. could use a few less balls on the ground but that is really nit picking.

23 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

bat is definitely ready. are they just waiting for super 2 deadline? or does his glove need some more time? could put him in an OF corner right now but they probably want to develope his glove at 3B. they say he has improved there but probably not quite mlb ready. might be a september callup. 

his bat will be great, K/BB rate is great and power is also coming. could use a few less balls on the ground but that is really nit picking.

As both a Josh Donaldson owner and Vlad Jr. holder, the issue is a spot to play. Vlad's defense at 3B could best be described as adequate or perhaps slightly below average. Given the strength of his bat, I bet they'd be willing to look past his glove if they didn't already have Josh Donaldson at 3B.

I suspect the Blue Jays are really trying to decide how to play this. Right now, they're in the playoff hunt. If they stay there between now and early June, I could definitely see the Blue Jays trying to figure out a way for Vlad to play. They'd probably combo 3B/DH him with Josh Donaldson potentially playing some combination of 3B/DH/1B. Kendrys Morales looks totally done and, if that holds true for another month while the Jays continue to hand around the playoff race, then there could be some action on Vlad. Alternatively, if the Jays are out of it, they could deal Donaldson to a contender and potentially call up Vlad as means of keeping fans in seats and viewers for games (Rogers broadcasting owns the team, so there is a greater ownership stack in keeping fans interested this year).

• Like 2

Agreed on Kendrys. He's toast. Opens up an opportunity if they cut bait. Really excited for this kid! 

I love this kid and think he will mash. I am extremely worried about his weight and that he may only be a dh 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

I love this kid and think he will mash. I am extremely worried about his weight and that he may only be a dh 

His bat will play anywhere in real life and your fantasy team. He's already projected 1b long term, I dont see much of a difference between 1b and UTIL.  Most of the time Im playing a 1b/OF there anyway. 

BA up to .380. The video of his triple last night looked like there were 5 fans in attendance. Wonder if he'll soon get bored at AA

Promote this boy wonder to AAA so I can go see him play in Buffalo

4 hours ago, bigbossman said:

Promote this boy wonder to AAA so I can go see him play in Buffalo

Honestly, I think they don;t want to because he might mutilate AAA, then they'll have nowhere else to put him.

5 minutes ago, Fifabing said:

AA is tougher than AAA, no?

Depends on the league. Buffalo isn't in the PCL, which is largely viewed as offense friendly. International league probably plays relatively even with New Hampshire.

• Like 1

What is the best comp on this kid if we were comparing him to a major league player?

3 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

What is the best comp on this kid if we were comparing him to a major league player?

Miguel Cabrera

Someone (maybe in this thread?) dropped an Edgar Martinez.

Ted Williams?