12to6

Enyel De Los Santos - SP, SD

Pitched last night and went 6IP, 0H, 0ER, 0BB, 7Ks. BA had this to say:

Enyel De Los Santos, rhp, Padres. San Diego’s No. 16 prospect has made Double-A look like a snap so far. After firing off six, two-hit innings in his first start, the 21-year-old Dominican did not allow a baserunner in six innings, striking out seven in a combined one-hitter against Northwest Arkansas (Royals). De Los Santos can touch 97 mph despite his wiry frame and his breaking pitches flash average, with his changeup showing above-average potential.

He's currently sporting a 13:2 K:BB in 12IP, having given up only 1ER, with a WHIP of 0.3.

Anyone else have any info on him? Worth keeping an eye on, for sure.

• Like 2

Daily Prospect Notes at FG today had this blurb on him:

The good-bodied De Los Santos, acquired from Seattle for Joaquin Benoit in November of 2015, missed bats with all three of his pitches last night, garnering swings and misses on his 92-95 mph fastball both within the strike zone and above it and with his fading changeup. De Los Santos also has a solid-average curveball that he can bend into the zone for cheap, early-count strikes the third time through the lineup, but he’s becoming more adept at burying it in the dirt when he’s ahead. He generally lives in the strike zone and is a good bet to start; the only knock I’ve heard from scouts is that the stuff plays down due to poor extension, which might explain the modest strikeout rate despite good reports on the stuff.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/daily-prospect-notes-725/

Off prospect radar but I expect that he is next Phillies minor league pitcher up if anything opens up in rotation. Been an amazing start to season for him at AAA. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

Off prospect radar but I expect that he is next Phillies minor league pitcher up if anything opens up in rotation. Been an amazing start to season for him at AAA. 

Looks like a projectable righty, 22 years old, 6`3 '170lbs.  What`s the FB velocity?  Is he the traditional 2-pitch guy trying to develop a 3rd average pitch?  Have not read much on him.

2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

What`s the FB velocity?  Is he the traditional 2-pitch guy trying to develop a 3rd average pitch?

FB sits 94-95 and touches upper 90's. Plus change and inconsistent curve that flashes above average. The plus change and vastly improved command are huge developments and can aid in overcoming the lack of a plus 3rd pitch to have success at the MLB level. Looks like a #3 ceiling with an ever increasing floor of a solid #4.

I am very surprised that de Los Santos is not getting more hype. He has been traded twice but is still young and has made significant improvements this year. 

In 12 starts, de Los Santos has given up 3 earned runs twice, 1 earned run 6 six times and 0 earned runs 4 times.

Both Jalen Beeks and de Los Santos are at AAA.  De Los Santos is two plus years younger.  Beeks has a better strikeout rate, but de Los Santos is still striking out a batter and an inning and their whip (.98 vs 1.01) and batting average against (197 vs 198) are virtually the same. 

Zach Eflin surprising success seems to be what is preventing de Los Santos from getting called up, but he will soon if he keeps it up.

2 hours ago, Lonny Baxter said:

I am very surprised that de Los Santos is not getting more hype. He has been traded twice but is still young and has made significant improvements this year. 

In 12 starts, de Los Santos has given up 3 earned runs twice, 1 earned run 6 six times and 0 earned runs 4 times.

Both Jalen Beeks and de Los Santos are at AAA.  De Los Santos is two plus years younger.  Beeks has a better strikeout rate, but de Los Santos is still striking out a batter and an inning and their whip (.98 vs 1.01) and batting average against (197 vs 198) are virtually the same. 

Zach Eflin surprising success seems to be what is preventing de Los Santos from getting called up, but he will soon if he keeps it up.

Agreed....As a Enyel owner, I would think that his gaudy 2018 numbers, in addition to his proximity to a major league call-up,  would warrant carrying a bit more hype than he presently does.

The fastball was always his calling card, hitting the mid-90's, but the change-up, slider and curve have all made strides this year, creating softer contact & more swing and miss.  He has ramped up his innings count in recent weeks, tossing at least 7 quality innings in each of his last three outings.  If he isn't clearly on the fantasy radar now, he certainly will be once he gets promoted, which should be in the not-so-distant future.

All-in-all not bad for a guy that was not-so-long ago written off as a bullpen arm and only cost the Phils Freddy Galvis

• Like 1

amazing that this guy was like the 17th rated in the Padres organization.  Tells you how deep they are

• Like 1

Vince Velazquez heading to DL. Is he next in line?

36 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Vince Velazquez heading to DL. Is he next in line?

They won’t need a fifth starter until the 10th, by which time VV might be ok.  But yes, I’d assume he’d be the first option for a spot start.

• Like 1

If he happens to get added to ESPN and anyone notices please post here. 

Will pitch in futures game, might be a spot start tuesday. Should get a shot this season, I'd think...

• Like 1

He's getting the call to start on Tuesday. Excited to see how he does!

• Like 1

And of course he's not in Yahoo's system...

On 7/1/2018 at 12:13 PM, Letitbe793 said:

If he happens to get added to ESPN and anyone notices please post here. 

Called up and still no add... :(

Snagged him yesterday in CBS. I dont see him sticking now but who knows.