SpecialFNK

Taylor Motter 2017 Outlook

126 posts in this topic

He could take over 1B.  Danny Valencia is rotten garbage and Motter has gotten reps at 1B.

If he keeps hitting and the rest of the non Mitch Hainger M's keep slumping i'm sure he'll find a path. He's play some OF in the minors.   How long with the M's put up with Dyson/Martin's horrid bats for good defense?

6 XBH already is pretty impressive and worth noting..

Edited by Slatykamora

He should play everyday based off his hair alone

mlbf_1275497383_th_43.jpg

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

He could take over 1B.  Danny Valencia is rotten garbage and Motter has gotten reps at 1B.

That's kinda what I'm thinking as well.

His HRs haven't been wall scrapers either.  He's putting them up above the scoreboard at Safeco, which is not messing around.

If he keeps hitting, he'll get ABs, probably at 1st and in the OF.

If someone can post that hair flip from that article...Harper would be proud, LOL.

This kid had a 66 WRC+ last year with Tampa and only 2 HR in 93 PA.  It's obviously not unheard of for a 27 year-old to have some skills growth, but I'm thinking it's just a bit of cluster luck.

2 people like this

Apparently #MotterPop is trending.  Sigh.

3 people like this

Dude just put one to the wall in left.  Just missed a 2 HR night.

Ichiro made one of his patented "made to look difficult when it really wasn't" leaping catches.

1 person likes this

Damn, this is one bad Motter! 

Edited by Sonny_D
2 people like this

By the time Segura comes off the DL, Motter should have 10 games at SS. Hes already got OF and if they stick him at 1B...

Lol what geek wrote this for rotowire 

"The 27-year-old has already surpassed his homer total with the Rays in 2016, but his days of fantasy relevance in AL-only leagues will disappear once Segura is back from the DL -- likely later this week."

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Joesh said:

Lol what geek wrote this for rotowire 

"The 27-year-old has already surpassed his homer total with the Rays in 2016, but his days of fantasy relevance in AL-only leagues will disappear once Segura is back from the DL -- likely later this week."

Well, thats fantasy, isnt it?

He could continue to get playing time at 1B and LF as widely speculated, if he continues to hit.

Or, he could go back to being a bench guy.

Given the premium the Mariners are placing on speed/outfield defense, I could see 1B being Motter's best shot at daily PT against RHP (putting Valencia on the bench), although against LHP Mother in LF/Valencia at 1B could make sense if it's a bad matchup for Dyson.

The organization is a lot more invested in Dyson than Valencia (who almost got the job by default with Vogelbach not seizing it), so given the extra's Dyson brings with his speed/defense, Motter taking PT from Valencia once Segura returns is the outcome I see as being more likely. The Mariners absolutely need to keep him in the lineup as long as he's anywhere near this hot at the plate, so 1B could be his for the taking.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, King Felix said:

Given the premium the Mariners are placing on speed/outfield defense, I could see 1B being Motter's best shot at daily PT against RHP (putting Valencia on the bench), although against LHP Mother in LF/Valencia at 1B could make sense if it's a bad matchup for Dyson.

The organization is a lot more invested in Dyson than Valencia (who almost got the job by default with Vogelbach not seizing it), so given the extra's Dyson brings with his speed/defense, Motter taking PT from Valencia once Segura returns is the outcome I see as being more likely. The Mariners absolutely need to keep him in the lineup as long as he's anywhere near this hot at the plate, so 1B could be his for the taking.

Could Dyson also play some CF?  He is eligible at that position in my leagues so I assume he played more than a few games there for KC and Martin's bat has been garbage so far.

Motter would have to go into a slump to be removed from the line-up right now. 

He also seems to be an instant fan favorite.  Front office would love to see him succeed given that alone.  Never can find enough avenues for promoting ticket sales and TV ratings etc.  Baseball, like all sports, is an entertainment in the end and he sure is fun and entertaining right now.  Add that into his bat production and the Mariners would be hard pressed to just bench him now unless he falls off the cliff into some massive slump.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
2 people like this

That was a smash in the upper deck last night!

This guy already has a hair flip dugout greeting with Cano...no way he is sitting.

3 people like this

10 hours ago, King Felix said:

I think Martin is more in jeopardy of losing playing time than Dyson at the moment.  Yea, OF defense, but how long can you keep trotting -12 wRC+ & a .319 OPS out there.  :huh:

2 people like this

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Could Dyson also play some CF?  He is eligible at that position in my leagues so I assume he played more than a few games there for KC and Martin's bat has been garbage so far.

Motter would have to go into a slump to be removed from the line-up right now. 

He also seems to be an instant fan favorite.  Front office would love to see him succeed given that alone.  Never can find enough avenues for promoting ticket sales and TV ratings etc.  Baseball, like all sports, is an entertainment in the end and he sure is fun and entertaining right now.  Add that into his bat production and the Mariners would be hard pressed to just bench him now unless he falls off the cliff into some massive slump.

Absolutely Dyson can play CF. He's probably the best defender we have there (over Martin), but Martin is also good and Dyson is now comfortable in a corner.

What I'm hoping to see for as long as Motter is hot is Motter at 1B vs RHP (Valencia to the bench) and in LF vs LHP (Valencia at 1B and either Dyson or Martin to the bench, possibly both if you want to get Heredia some PT)

2 people like this