JakeSarna

Dane Dunning - SP CHW

Shocked their wasn't a thread on this kid. I've been a huge fan since watching him at Florida. 3 plus pitches (FB/SL/CH), plus command & control with it eventually both being double plus. And a groundball machine. And being as polished as he is, he should be a fast mover thru the minors. And I'm expecting him to be Promoted out of Kannapolis anyday now since its just too easy for him. 

And I love Alec Hansen too but would have to see how he handles better hitters in the higher levels with his command & control. I believe Dane Dunning and Michael Kopech are the 2 best future pitchers in the white Sox farm system. I'll post scouting reports later when I get home...

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 2

Funny, was about to start a thread on him. Great tout. Flying way below the radar now, but not for real long.

1st round pick by WAS last year, and most disregarded his inclusion in the Eaton trade--as it was headlined by Giolito and Reynlado--but I am thinking he was a key piece for the CWS.

3 starts in Low A ball has produced: 20 ip 11h 1er 1bb 26k. I agree that he's got a chance to bump at least 2 levels in the coming months.

• Like 2

After a bunch of rain delays he finally started again today

6IP, 2H, 0ER, 1BB, 7Ks.

Woof.

Finally has a start where he hasn't walked the world. His BB/9 in A+ is a stunning 4.065. Today, however:

7IP, 3H, 0ER, 1BB, 7Ks

He's definitely one to grab if he can get his walks under control.

Seems like a stud. I think I trust him to become a solid big league starter moreso than any young pitcher in the White Sox system. Looking forward to seeing what he does in 2018 at higher levels. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid the buy-low window has passed. He looks really good. Put in a generous offer for him, was met with "no thanks, I view Dunning as a huge part of my teams future".    Dagnabit! He was an afterthought in the original dynasty draft! Now he's a coveted asset. Same with Luzardo. I Dunn goofed. 

• Like 1

Promoted to AA. That was quick.

Starting to think early/mid-2019 should be his revised ETA. 

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 1

Was such a huge fan of this guy pre-injury but his elbow has it all up in the air for me. Reportedly headed to the White sox Arizona complex for rehab. If he can return to health maybe we see him in the Arizona Fall league?

He seems to be falling in many prospect rankings for 2019 compared to last year, which seems a bit strange to me, though I understand the volatility of prospect lists.

Edited by cltubbs

Well he is gone for a year or more now:

White Sox' prospect Dane Dunning underwent successful Tommy John surgery on Monday in Pensacola, Florida.

The highly-acclaimed Dr. James Andrews performed the operation. The 24-year-old hurler, who came to the White Sox in the deal that sent Adam Eaton to the Nationals, will miss the entire 2019 season and possibly the first few months of the 2020 campaign as well as he recovers. It's a tough break for a very promising pitching prospect.

Source: Scott Merkin on Twitter

Mar 18, 2019, 7:47 PM

Very unfortunate, looked really good at Birmingham last season and was more than likely going to be up in the bigs possibly by this summer. Hurts that him and Kopech are both out all year now.