Professor Turgeson

Michael Chavis - 3B BOS

Recommended Posts

I wonder. Could Chavis play 2B? He was one of the better bats coming out of that draft and seems to be figuring some things out. Devers obviously blocks him but I'm wondering if the Sox try to keep him instead. This of course only works if he could be a 2B one day after Dustin retires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, I like baseball said:

Probably starts at third for the White Sox in a year or two... if the trade goes down.

 

Sounds like the Yankees might get Frazier. I want no part of that guy in a Sox uniform if it means giving up any of our top 10 prospects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Red Sox Nation said:

I think there's a solid 50-50 chance he's going to be dealt at the deadline. Even if Devers doesn't end up sticking at 3B, that's more speculation, and Chavis is pretty movable right now imo. Given Chavis turns 22 in a month and was a 1st rounder just three years ago, this could just be him starting his ascend to good MLB player. But his stock is probably as high as it'll get, and I think the Red Sox can package him to fix some holes (extra bat + rp). 

Agree. I would deal him in their situation so id be amazed if dealer Dom didn't. Who needs a 3B of the future whos in sell mode? Bucs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Agree. I would deal him in their situation so id be amazed if dealer Dom didn't. Who needs a 3B of the future whos in sell mode? Bucs?

 

I am not a big follower of other teams farm systems. A Moustakas/Herrera package would be awesome though. I'd be all for Harrison/Neshek in other deals. Sox farm system is pretty gutted though, so unless someone is in love with Chavis, Red Sox might have to settle for a Lowrie + lower tiered reliever 

Edited by Red Sox Nation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

I wonder. Could Chavis play 2B? He was one of the better bats coming out of that draft and seems to be figuring some things out. Devers obviously blocks him but I'm wondering if the Sox try to keep him instead. This of course only works if he could be a 2B one day after Dustin retires.

Pedroia is signed through 2021 so unless he gets a career-ending injury Chavis isn't making his way to the majors through Pedroia.  Especially since Pedroia has no  real trade value to other teams and is worth far more to the Red Sox for just not his skills at 2B but for the clubhouse/fan base thing. 

1B could be open next year if Dombrowski sees Sam Travis as a better trade chip since Moreland was just on a one year contract.  Year after there is an opening at DH.  Otherwise Dealin' Dave is just seeing Chavis as a nice trade chip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness, how much can you really project for Chavis? I like him, but he's far from a sure thing and this realistically might be the highest his stock ever gets. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean he was the 26th overall pick. He's not some out of no-where. He's always had high expectations.. The 5th overall prep bat taken 

 

As many of the toolsy high school position players raise questions about their hitting ability, the players that teams are confident will hit have moved up draft boards, and Chavis is one of the better bats in the class. He has a chance to go in the first round, a testament to his consistency as a 5-foot-10, 192-pound righthanded hitter. Chavis has tremendous strength through his hands and wrists and produces plus bat speed from a short, compact stroke. He hit consistently on the showcase circuit, including sending a 94 mph fastball from Touki Toussaint right back up the box at East Coast Pro. He has plus raw power that translates to game action. Currently a high school shortstop, Chavis will likely move off the position as a pro. Third base remains his most likely destination because of his first-step quickness, body control and above-average arm. Catching is an option and he has the necessary physical attributes, but he has spent limited time behind the plate. He has slightly above-average speed that will likely settle in around average with his strong, compact build. The Clemson commit is a high-effort, gamer who endears himself to scouts with his style of play, and scouts lauded his work ethic.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then Read the pre-season write up

Scouting Report
Chavis was drafted in the first round as a stocky little maxed-out third baseman with electric bat speed and present but unprojectable raw power. He hasn’t hit in pro ball because his swing has some effort to it, his bat isn’t in the hitting zone for very long, and his approach is a bit overaggressive and geared for pull-only contact. He has an above-average arm, but it’s his lone defensive asset at third base where his footwork and actions both vary wildly. He may have to move to an outfield corner, which would put more pressure on an already teetering offensive skillset. He’s still just 21 and you can’t teach this kind of bat speed, but Chavis is tracking like a corner platoon bat right now.

 

Part of the reason he was talked down pre-season because people were not buying he could translate his bat speed and raw power in games. Though he probably DOES end up a corner OF with plus arm. Its obvious the bat could now play to it.. Where before people were seeing a fringe hitter with corner OF profile with plus arm.

 

Basically. It would be foolish for the Red Sox just toss him in a trade to get a lower tier RP or depth bat. Kids probably got bat speed that only Bichette and Calhoun could beat..and he DOES profile to OF if he can't handle 3B... unlike Calhoun who is a DH trying to play 2B.

Edited by Slatykamora

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2017 at 5:02 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Pedroia is signed through 2021 so unless he gets a career-ending injury Chavis isn't making his way to the majors through Pedroia.  Especially since Pedroia has no  real trade value to other teams and is worth far more to the Red Sox for just not his skills at 2B but for the clubhouse/fan base thing. 

1B could be open next year if Dombrowski sees Sam Travis as a better trade chip since Moreland was just on a one year contract.  Year after there is an opening at DH.  Otherwise Dealin' Dave is just seeing Chavis as a nice trade chip.

 

I like the 1B idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Swear it feels like this guy hits a home run every day.

 

 

Not only that, but my favorite part is the fact that he has been able to cut his K% from 22.8% in A+ to 15.2% in AA.... if he can maintain that..... look out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who is the 3Bman of the future?  Do you guys think that Devers is shifted over to 1B at some point next season or is it more likely Chavis ends up there?  I always thought it was a lock Devers was moved but the reports are that his defence has improved and his arm is strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

So who is the 3Bman of the future?  Do you guys think that Devers is shifted over to 1B at some point next season or is it more likely Chavis ends up there?  I always thought it was a lock Devers was moved but the reports are that his defence has improved and his arm is strong.

Based off what I've seen on TV Devers looks pretty damn good at 3B and better than advertised. Have heard Farrell complimenting his D a few times already this year. Ultimately, I believe it's Chavis who makes the move, it'll be interesting to see if they give him some time over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For fantasy purposes I'm hoping Chavis gets the future 3b job in Boston or gets traded elsewhere to play that position. Seems like he's really taking a major step forward this year. Interesting to see what will happen in the offseason.

Edited by cltubbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cltubbs said:

For fantasy purposes I'm hoping Chavis gets the future 3b job in Boston or gets traded elsewhere to play that position. Seems like he's really taking a major step forward this year. Interesting to see what will happen in the offseason.

 

I dont see him playing 3b over Devers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

I dont see him playing 3b over Devers.

I agree. I hope if Boston keeps him as a 1b he gets some spot starts at 3b spelling Devers to gain/keep yahoo fantasy eligibility. I have Chavis & Andujar stashed in dynasty, need someone to pan out next year since Franco is my current 3b. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks like a .250, 35 home run guy-- especially with the Green Monster to toy with 

he has a smoother swing, and better coordination than Dan Uggla. Numbers wise I can see him being similar to what Longoria turned out to be-- though visually they'd get there a different way.

I'd comp him to Greg Vaughn, minus those couple monster homer years. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I really hope the Sox go cheap at 1B and bring him up to take the job this season.

 

It just doesn’t seem a thing the Sox will do. Can’t imagine them not signing at least one slugger. That being said, I still think he’s probably up this year at some point. He’s a real trade candidate too.

 

Ive hear on various podcasts that he’s capable of playing 2b. I’m hoping somehow that works out, whether for Boston or elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

It just doesn’t seem a thing the Sox will do. Can’t imagine them not signing at least one slugger. That being said, I still think he’s probably up this year at some point. He’s a real trade candidate too.

 

Ive hear on various podcasts that he’s capable of playing 2b. I’m hoping somehow that works out, whether for Boston or elsewhere.

Yeah, I realize it is unlikely, but we have been cursed with big name free agent signings. They need to take a page out of Yankees playbook and let the young kids play. Worked out well for them, and has as well for Sox when they have brought guys up recently. (Benintendi, Devers, etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

Welp.  That’s gonna leave a mark.

 

suspended 80 games....

 

Man I have all the bad boys this year.  Whitley and now Chavis and even took over a team this spring with Jorge Polanco on it.  Can't wait to see who I own will be next.  Anyway guess this helps explain how Chavis got his power all of a sudden last year.

 

And, unlike Whitley's 50 game stay awake stimulant slap on the wrist, this 80 game one says it is the real PED deal with Chavis.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who hung onto Chavis, he returned tonight from his 80 game PED suspension.  Red Sox assigned him to Lowell of the Appy League, where he went 0-3 with BB tonight.  It seems the Sox want to get him back into playing shape and get some ABs before he gets back to advance competition.  Will be interesting to see if he can get back some prospect hype, or whether his power surge was PED related. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now