Professor Turgeson

Michael Chavis - 3B BOS

10 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

For those who hung onto Chavis, he returned tonight from his 80 game PED suspension.  Red Sox assigned him to Lowell of the Appy League, where he went 0-3 with BB tonight.  It seems the Sox want to get him back into playing shape and get some ABs before he gets back to advance competition.  Will be interesting to see if he can get back some prospect hype, or whether his power surge was PED related. 

I'm very curious as well. I kinda think he will most likely be fine. If steroids were  the primary reason he was a prospect, he'll probably just be more careful how he goes about it. I'm under the impression getting caught means you're dumb more than anything. Good chance almost all these guys are doing something

Edited by brockpapersizer

11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Hopefully he's back,very dominant game 

Agreed, but he was brought back up to Portland (AA) for two games, struck out something like 5 times in 8ABs and was promptly sent back to Lowell.  Not sure if they saw him in those two games and thought he still needed more ABs before seeing advanced competition or what the rationale was?  In any event, he's likely back with Portland soon if he has a few more games like this one.

26 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Agreed, but he was brought back up to Portland (AA) for two games, struck out something like 5 times in 8ABs and was promptly sent back to Lowell.  Not sure if they saw him in those two games and thought he still needed more ABs before seeing advanced competition or what the rationale was?  In any event, he's likely back with Portland soon if he has a few more games like this one.

To correct my above post, Chavis was sent back to Lowell because Portland is on it's All-Star break.

Yeah I saw that in the game logs. I’m like there’s no way he got demoted for the sole reason of two game starts worth of stats.

• Haha 1

2 Homers today, his line for the season since he's come off suspension. Sucks this was mostly a wasted year, i hope the sox make room for him next season or the trade him away.

.294 .392   .574  
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

2 Homers today, his line for the season since he's come off suspension. Sucks this was mostly a wasted year, i hope the sox make room for him next season or the trade him away.

.294 .392   .574  

A little Steve Pearce in this guy?

I’m having a hard time figuring out how to rank Chavis for dynasty purposes. How does he compare to other prospect 3B now with the long suspension interrupting his progression?

3-5 today. En fuego.  He's making up for lost time, should start making it back up lists if he can keep this up.

15 minutes ago, beezer said:

Where do you think he’ll end up in top 100 rankings beginning next year ?

Im not sure, but I think for fantasy he should be in somewhere in the 70-90s, I'd have him in.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Im not sure, but I think for fantasy he should be in somewhere in the 70-90s, I'd have him in.

I'm with BPS.  I would think for fantasy he should be moved up with his return from the suspension, especially given his proximity to the majors.

Posted (edited)

Without taking into human considerations, Chavis' best chance logically is at 2B so a lot depends on how he can adjust to that position.  Next year at 1B is possible or mid-year with possibly Moreland let go. 

3B?  No.  Devers is here to stay at 3B so forget that position. Devers continues to work on his D and he doesn't have the long body type to move over to 1B really and the Sox remain sky high on him.  And JD Martinez is working with him a lot concerning his hitting too and look what JD has done with Mookie and now JBJ.

But back to 2B and that "human considerations" bit.  Though the front office will remain discrete and diplomatic and will continue with all the positive PR stuff; I'd say most sports writers that follow the Sox feel Pedroia will never come back completely.  That his career could well be over.  Or should I say, should be over.  Trouble is he has a long, expensive contract and he would rather die than give up baseball cause he truly is the dirt dawg.  So the awkwardness of dealing with his situation may keep him at 2B longer than someone else in the same situation not named Pedroia would remain there.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

So if Chavis starts the season in the minors do you select him over Madrigal, Br. Lowe, N. Lowe , Brujan , L. Robert  or Nolan Jones?

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Without taking into human considerations, Chavis' best chance logically is at 2B so a lot depends on how he can adjust to that position.  Next year at 1B is possible or mid-year with possibly Moreland let go. 

3B?  No.  Devers is here to stay at 3B so forget that position. Devers continues to work on his D and he doesn't have the long body type to move over to 1B really and the Sox remain sky high on him.  And JD Martinez is working with him a lot concerning his hitting too and look what JD has done with Mookie and now JBJ.

But back to 2B and that "human considerations" bit.  Though the front office will remain discrete and diplomatic and will continue with all the positive PR stuff; I'd say most sports writers that follow the Sox feel Pedroia will never come back completely.  That his career could well be over.  Or should I say, should be over.  Trouble is he has a long, expensive contract and he would rather die than give up baseball cause he truly is the dirt dawg.  So the awkwardness of dealing with his situation may keep him at 2B longer than someone else in the same situation not named Pedroia would remain there.

Dustin Pedroia was underpaid for the first 11 years of his contract. He's barely paid over a 1 win player for the next three years. Totally disagree with your Pedroia assessment here outside of the fact that he may never be the same again. Certainly possible. For what he's given the team, this last 50 million is a nice well deserved send off package. It's not preventing them from profiting or signing someone else. 

I have no idea if Chavis will be able to handle 2b, but that certainly the most sensible position if he can. I think he's too short for 1b and lacks the arm for 3b. I'm sure they might give him looks at either position, butI'm genuinely stumped where he can play.  Maybe LF, but not on this team. Really strong chance he gets traded.

4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Dustin Pedroia was underpaid for the first 11 years of his contract. He's barely paid over a 1 win player for the next three years. Totally disagree with your Pedroia assessment here outside of the fact that he may never be the same again. Certainly possible. For what he's given the team, this last 50 million is a nice well deserved send off package. It's not preventing them from profiting or signing someone else. 

I have no idea if Chavis will be able to handle 2b, but that certainly the most sensible position if he can. I think he's too short for 1b and lacks the arm for 3b. I'm sure they might give him looks at either position, butI'm genuinely stumped where he can play.  Maybe LF, but not on this team. Really strong chance he gets traded.

OT:  Actually it is as Pedroia puts them well over the luxury tax and it was one of those stupid, insane mega-contracts from the get go.  And yeah I agree with the beat reporters.  His career is really over.  His range is screwed.

And now it is possibly going to block Chavis reaching the majors as well.

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

OT:  Actually it is as Pedroia puts them well over the luxury tax and it was one of those stupid, insane mega-contracts from the get go.  And yeah I agree with the beat reporters.  His career is really over.  His range is screwed.

And now it is possibly going to block Chavis reaching the majors as well.

The Red Sox make far more than their payroll above the luxury tax. I think there’s a chance Pedroia surprises this year. Also I could be misremembering but unless he signed two contracts , Pedroias contract was super team friendly when signed. It’s surely poop now, but I think there’s a chance he breaks even this year and I think the red Sox paid him less than his worth for 11 straight seasons, he deserves all of it and more.

• Like 1

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

The Red Sox make far more than their payroll above the luxury tax. I think there’s a chance Pedroia surprises this year. Also I could be misremembering but unless he signed two contracts , Pedroias contract was super team friendly when signed. It’s surely poop now, but I think there’s a chance he breaks even this year and I think the red Sox paid him less than his worth for 11 straight seasons, he deserves all of it and more.

It's not about the money penalty.  They want to rebuild their farm which they can't with all these luxury tax penalties.  They are losing draft picks left and right and not just the ability to grow their own but also use them in crucial trades down the line.  You just can't go the FA route exclusively.

And I don't think Pedroia and his family were starving to death with what he was paid earlier.  Hell Yaz used to just take one year contracts and refused to have an agent.  Met with Yawkey each year and quickly agreed on a deal.  He never starved to death and never complained about being underpaid in the "bad old days" of player salaries.  There is more to life than greed.