Professor Turgeson

Michael Chavis - 3B BOS

10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It's not about the money penalty.  They want to rebuild their farm which they can't with all these luxury tax penalties.  They are losing draft picks left and right and not just the ability to grow their own but also use them in crucial trades down the line.  You just can't go the FA route exclusively.

And I don't think Pedroia and his family were starving to death with what he was paid earlier.  Hell Yaz used to just take one year contracts and refused to have an agent.  Met with Yawkey each year and quickly agreed on a deal.  He never starved to death and never complained about being underpaid in the "bad old days" of player salaries.  There is more to life than greed.

yaz, as in carl yastrzemski, the guy who hasn't played since 1983? how is this relevant to pedroia?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

yaz, as in carl yastrzemski, the guy who hasn't played since 1983? how is this relevant to pedroia?

It shows another era when character still counted more than greed in baseball.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It shows another era when character still counted more than greed in baseball.

Right on papaw, can we get back to if/when/how chavis contributes to the Sox? 

Getting starts at second
April 14, 2019
Chavis has started four games at second base for Triple-A Pawtucket, the most starts at any one position in 2019, Christopher Smith of MassLive.com reports.
ANALYSIS
The Red Sox continue to move Chavis around the infield in preparation for what could be an introduction to MLB later this season. He hasn't made any errors in 18 chances at the keystone and has turned three double plays. In addition to starts at second base, Chavis has played three games at third and one game at first.
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, kwelch said:
Getting starts at second
April 14, 2019
Chavis has started four games at second base for Triple-A Pawtucket, the most starts at any one position in 2019, Christopher Smith of MassLive.com reports.
ANALYSIS
The Red Sox continue to move Chavis around the infield in preparation for what could be an introduction to MLB later this season. He hasn't made any errors in 18 chances at the keystone and has turned three double plays. In addition to starts at second base, Chavis has played three games at third and one game at first.

With Pedroia's recent injury history and age, I suspect the Sox see Chavis' best opportunity to get ABs at 2B.  Fingers crossed he can prove to be a capable fielder, because he has a lot of Dan Uggla in him, imo.

1-3 HR (4) and BB.  Playing 3B again tonight.  Interesting to see Pedroia leave tonight's game grimacing in pain with knee soreness.  Keep an eye on Chavis getting a call up if he keeps hitting, imo.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:32 PM, BigPapi44 said:

1-3 HR (4) and BB.  Playing 3B again tonight.  Interesting to see Pedroia leave tonight's game grimacing in pain with knee soreness.  Keep an eye on Chavis getting a call up if he keeps hitting, imo.

As noted above, Pedroia's injury looks to be putting him on the shelf for awhile.  Keep a watch on how he's being used at Pawtucket.  It would not surprise me that he's used significantly more at 2B moving forward and if he keeps hitting and performing adequately defensively there.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

As noted above, Pedroia's injury looks to be putting him on the shelf for awhile.  Keep a watch on how he's being used at Pawtucket.  It would not surprise me that he's used significantly more at 2B moving forward and if he keeps hitting and performing adequately defensively there.

Chavez better be playing full time at 2B.  That is a giant black hole in Boston.  Pedey's career is effectively really over but it takes time for a player to accept it let alone a true grit player like Pedroia and the organization has to walk on egg shells and say "all the right things" around the issue and wait for Pedroia to accept it.  Complicating things is Pedroia's damn long term contract.

And if anyone doubts how bad Pedroia's knee is?  Well color guy Jerry Remy mentioned in a recent broadcast that Pedroia had asked him when Remy was going through career-ending knee problems if he hurt at home outside the game.  Remy said yes and Pedroia confessed that he has major pain and trouble once he leaves carpeting and walks on wooden floors at home.  So yes his knee is that bad.  Most anyone not the dirt dawg wouldn't even have tried to come back this season.

Meanwhile the two regular infield utility players are a mess.  Nunez has on and off back problems and Brock Holt was on the DL with a scratched cornea.  Holt will be back soon but he couldn't see well before the DL (IL, gag me with that name) so I don't know if he is recovered enough to do much when he returns.

So yeah 2B is there for the taking for Chavis if he can seize the moment.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I can’t remember where I saw this but I read somewhere the Red Sox were probably going to sign Brad Miller to play second base

This is his moment with both Nunez now joining Holt on the DL.  Just seize it.

Red Sox recalled INF Michael Chavis from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Chavis is more of a third baseman, but he's played some second base at Pawtucket this season and will see time there with Dustin Pedroia (knee), Eduardo Nunez (back) and Brock Holt (eye) on the shelf. The 23-year-old missed a large chunk of last season following an 80-game PED suspension, but he hit well when on the field and had slugged four homers over his first 12 games for Pawtucket this season. He's worth a flier in deeper formats. Tzu-Wei Lin is also up and will see time at second base.

Lin is good defensively but a terrible hitter so could come in late in the game but on the whole the waves have parted for Chavis with all three regular 2B out at once.

Agreed the sox have a black hole at 2b if he hits the job is his to take. In what should still be one of the best lineups in the show. Pedey's career is over I think he just hasn't accepted the fact. Sad he was tough as nails for a long time.

17 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Well, well, well... that was fast. 😎

5 hours ago, Foolish--1 said:

It's amazing to me they showed no interest in D J Lemahieu considering.

Well they already had 3 people on their roster able to play 2B and were up against the luxury tax again.  They wouldn't pay him what he got essentially.