ChasinDatPaper

Corey Davis Season Outlook 2017

2 minutes ago, CooL said:

1575 replies for this overhyped tease. Mariota was terrible but didn't Josh Gordon produce with some pretty crappy QBs? Thought this guy was going to be a second half league winner. Not looking like it.

Announcer had said Walker was his favorite target. Once a QB has that sort of preferential mindset to one or two receivers, everyone else pretty much suffers.

Edited by BurgundyBooger

Mariota was Captain Checkdown tonight. Dumping it off to his RBs and TEs all night. Hardly something to get excited about for the receivers

24 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

he could have came back to the ball on that second INT or at least tried to break it up

I thought that way about both interceptions.  He didn’t fight for the ball on either one of them.  He also seemed to be sucking wind for much of the game.  Still I’m not dropping him... he has talent and opportunity.

Lot of question marks here.

Last game: only caught 4/10 targets. 1 in which he fumbled. Another of those passes was picked.

Tonight: Mariota rarely looked his way. When he did, the steelers were running the other way with the ball. 

The rest of of this weekend and into next week people will be blaming Mariota, and rightly so. But I think his lack of production is a combination of things, and Davis isn't completely getting off my hook. So who's to blame? 

1. The coaching staff and management: they draft this guy at #5 obviously because they saw a freak athlete dominate s---y competition. Fair enough, when you watch his tape it's easy to tell he's gifted. However, there was obviously a disconnect between the front office and coaching staff. The coaches are trying to use him in ways he wasn't used in college.

2. Mariota and the O-line: WHEN he has time, his throws to ALL receivers have been awful. Davis, being an outside receiver, his routes take time to develop. So even if Mariota is granted that time, his inaccuracy is killing any possible production.

3. Corey Davis: Has anyone else watched his route running the last few weeks and been impressed? I haven't. Honestly it looks like the DBs just give him a nice cushion and then wait for him to make his very predictable breaks (hence all the picks on his targets). This could be a product of either his true route-running colors showing, missing a good chunk of the season, Mariota's ineptitude, or like I said, the coaches are putting him in a position to NOT succeed. I think it's a combination of all of those factors. Truthfully, I think he's been forcefed targets due to his draft stock, but they are beginning to realize how inefficient the offense is when they do so.

Am i giving up hope? Not quite yet. This could still go one of two ways, especially with their schedule getting easier.

1. The coaches find his strengths and figure out ways to get him the ball. Essentially, they look at the tape and say, "we aren't putting him in positions to succeed." Obviously this also hinges on the ability of Mariota and the O-line to improve. 

2. The coaches/Mariota don't figure out ways to put him in successful positions, or they lose faith in his ability, and he has a poor ROS.

BOTTOMLIME: While I believe Mariota's inefficiencies and an unintelligent coaching staff are likely inhibiting Davis' value, Walker and Matthews are still posting fine numbers. If Davis was this freak we all saw on film, he'd have made plays on his own by now. Sure, he's had a few nice sideline catches, but we need to see more. Many things can still go right for him to breakout, but for now I'd say let's slow this train down a tad.

I apologize for the longest analysis in history 

10 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Just curious who are you guys dropping him for? Im in a 12 team league and the wire is pretty bare...

Dropped Parker for him. Hoping to get him back. Josh Gordon has not been picked up in my league yet. Marlon Mack was dropped due to byes and Danny Woodhead is coming off IR.

3 minutes ago, Newtown said:

Dropped Parker for him. Hoping to get him back. Josh Gordon has not been picked up in my league yet. Marlon Mack was dropped due to byes and Danny Woodhead is coming off IR.

.....Devante Parker? In a 12 teamer?

7 minutes ago, Leibinger said:

Last game: only caught 4/10 targets. 1 in which he fumbled. Another of those passes was picked.

Tonight: Mariota rarely looked his way. When he did, the steelers were running the other way with the ball. 

The rest of of this weekend and into next week people will be blaming Mariota, and rightly so. But I think his lack of production is a combination of things, and Davis isn't completely getting off my hook. So who's to blame? 

1. The coaching staff and management: they draft this guy at #5 obviously because they saw a freak athlete dominate s---y competition. Fair enough, when you watch his tape it's easy to tell he's gifted. However, there was obviously a disconnect between the front office and coaching staff. The coaches are trying to use him in ways he wasn't used in college.

2. Mariota and the O-line: WHEN he has time, his throws to ALL receivers have been awful. Davis, being an outside receiver, his routes take time to develop. So even if Mariota is granted that time, his inaccuracy is killing any possible production.

3. Corey Davis: Has anyone else watched his route running the last few weeks and been impressed? I haven't. Honestly it looks like the DBs just give him a nice cushion and then wait for him to make his very predictable breaks (hence all the picks on his targets). This could be a product of either his true route-running colors showing, missing a good chunk of the season, Mariota's ineptitude, or like I said, the coaches are putting him in a position to NOT succeed. I think it's a combination of all of those factors. Truthfully, I think he's been forcefed targets due to his draft stock, but they are beginning to realize how inefficient the offense is when they do so.

Am i giving up hope? Not quite yet. This could still go one of two ways, especially with their schedule getting easier.

1. The coaches find his strengths and figure out ways to get him the ball. Essentially, they look at the tape and say, "we aren't putting him in positions to succeed." Obviously this also hinges on the ability of Mariota and the O-line to improve. 

2. The coaches/Mariota don't figure out ways to put him in successful positions, or they lose faith in his ability, and he has a poor ROS.

BOTTOMLIME: While I believe Mariota's inefficiencies and an unintelligent coaching staff are likely inhibiting Davis' value, Walker and Matthews are still posting fine numbers. If Davis was this freak we all saw on film, he'd have made plays on his own by now. Sure, he's had a few nice sideline catches, but we need to see more. Many things can still go right for him to breakout, but for now I'd say let's slow this train down a tad.

Mularkey and Robiskie are terrible coaches and we won't be able to see just how good this team can be until they're both gone.

2 minutes ago, rcarena said:

Just as the schedule's opening up?

You're going to start him after this putrid game? Would you start him if he had a good game next week? I probably wouldn't. So at the earliest, I'm starting him week 14. And that's if he strings together two good games. After seeing his performance, his QB's performance, and this whole offense's performance, not feeling great.

4 minutes ago, atrium said:

.....Devante Parker? In a 12 teamer?

12 team standard. Not PPR. I know PPR guys love Parker.

Couldn't trade him. He was the 5th on my WR depth chart. Probably wasn't going to start for me. Looking for upside with Davis. Not sure he's any better than Parker in 2017. I guess I was really banking on Mariota being better than Cutler, but the jury is out on that one.

Edited by Newtown

10 minutes ago, Leibinger said:

My analysis. Mariotta is just like cousins dumping balls off to his RBs and TE. Davis is just like doctsun. All the hype with no production. I just don't see it. Sure he may have a good game here against the colts. But I couldn't start him with confidence. Also if he was that good he would break away from coverage. I just didn't see any of that. 

31 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Go watch the film coach. 

Watch Corey’s awful route on the int thrown in his direction. His curl was so robotic and slow that the dB had no choice but to intercept it 

6 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

My analysis. Mariotta is just like cousins dumping balls off to his RBs and TE. Davis is just like doctsun. All the hype with no production. I just don't see it. Sure he may have a good game here against the colts. But I couldn't start him with confidence. Also if he was that good he would break away from coverage. I just didn't see any of that. 

Completely agree. I think he's talented enough where he would be effective in the right system, but not talented to the extent where he will take over games on his own. Mariota and that offense aren't designed for him and he's not getting great separation. Hoping for one good game then looking to deal

Edited by Leibinger

Just now, Leibinger said:

Completely agree. I think he's talented enough where he would be effective in the right system, but not talented to the extent where he will take over games on his own. Mariota and that offense aren't designed for him and he's not getting great separation. Hoping for one good game the looking to deal

Most trade deadlines should be ending here. The one in my leagues ends on the 22nd. I mean he's pretty much worthless. Even if he's dropped and he has a good game against the colts. Im not sure that he would get picked up off one good game. Unless it was a monster game. Which I just don't see. 

27 minutes ago, charliehustler said:

Watch Corey’s awful route on the int thrown in his direction. His curl was so robotic and slow that the dB had no choice but to intercept it 

Saw it. Meh. Bad choice by QB imo. 

Corey Davis caught 3-of-7 targets for 27 yards in the Titans' Week 11 loss to the Steelers.

Davis now has 17 targets over his past two games but hasn't cleared 50 yards since Week 1. Tonight, he may have quit on his route on one of Marcus Mariota's four interceptions. It was a play he'll spend 10 days dissecting on film before next week's game against the Colts. A playmaker who is being funneled targets, Davis is in the WR4 mix.

Nov 17 - 12:16 AM

Rishard Matthews caught 5-of-6 targets for 113 yards and a touchdown in the Titans' Week 11 loss to the Steelers.

The 100-yard game was Matthews' first of the season, while the touchdown was his third. It was a 75-yarder on the Titans' opening drive of the second half. With the help of a play fake, Matthews ran right by Coty Sensabaugh before staving off some tackle attempts on his way to the end zone. Despite the big night, Matthews was actually out-targeted 7-6 by Corey Davis. Davis' continued emergence as a factor has lowered both Matthews' floor and ceiling to that of a low-end WR3. He does have an attackable Week 12 matchup in the Colts.

Nov 17 - 12:06 AM

RW must have tons of stock in this rookie.  So let me get this straight, RW blurb writer, the guy that had 22.3 PPR points tonight is only a "low end WR3" because of the "emergence" of this rookie that scored 5.7 points, catching 3 of 7 targets and quitting on a route that led to an interception?  And somehow this rookie who has shown really nothing is a "WR4"?  I guess the fact that Corey Davis had 7 targets to Matthews 6 makes him the deficit #1 WR on the team.

I'm going to hold, but I'm getting really disappointed.  I thought this guy was going to be a great keeper selection for next year too, but not so sure now.  This whole Tennessee team is a mess.  Can't run.  Can't throw.  Not much positive going on there.

Sometimes you just really have to ignore the nonsensical, sensationalistic group think mentality you see in these forums. Corey Davis is an ultra talented player, but  the recipe for success isn't there. For one, Corey is a rookie playing in a team that employs an archaic playcalling scheme and favors preferential treatment for fossil-esque veterans  over budding young superstars. Moreover, Mariota isn't a great pocket passer, there are plenty of other talented receivers on this team, and as proven tonight, their coaching staff are absolute imbeciles. Some easy matchups are ahead, but if you're in a 12-team league or lower, you can do much better. Sure he might have a breakout game, but at this point it's not worth playing with fire and deal with the more likelier outcome - a flat-out dud or uninspiring average stat-line. 

Bad situation for Fantasy success. Drop in redraft. He’s so raw, will probably be good in a couple years

Edited by Steelers0087

3 hours ago, CooL said:

Corey Davis caught 3-of-7 targets for 27 yards in the Titans' Week 11 loss to the Steelers.

Davis now has 17 targets over his past two games but hasn't cleared 50 yards since Week 1. Tonight, he may have quit on his route on one of Marcus Mariota's four interceptions. It was a play he'll spend 10 days dissecting on film before next week's game against the Colts. A playmaker who is being funneled targets, Davis is in the WR4 mix.

Nov 17 - 12:16 AM

I saw the the game last night. 

7 targets?? Sure didn't seem like it. There were long stretches of that game where I wasn't even sure if he was on the field. 

I wish Yahoo had a feature where instead of just dropping a player, I could throw his avatar down a flight of stairs before landing on the waiver wiee

On 16/11/2017 at 5:08 PM, Boudewijn said:

All hype aside, and as much as he's talented, his numbers just haven't been amazing so far: 28 targets, 13 catches (catch rate < 50%), 149 yards (just over 10 yd/catch), no TDs.

So if he gets another 8 targets he's on track for 4/40, and given that they play against PIT (plus away plus TNF) makes this  a very tough one. I'm riding this out and waiting for the Indiana game next week.

Unfortunately it was even worse than I said and now I can't even start him against Indiana - so that's a solid drop. Thanks Corey, it's been fun... see you next year (or not).

Next week for sure