Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppy

Nelson Cruz, OF, TEX

The guy is hitting .380 with 9 HR's, 27 RBI, 9 SB and a 1.322 OPS! Why isn't he starting in Texas over guys like Bradley, Murphy, Catalanotto and Boggs? I know he's 27, but come on this guy can jack 25 in the show easily!

The guy is hitting .380 with 9 HR's, 27 RBI, 9 SB and a 1.322 OPS! Why isn't he starting in Texas over guys like Bradley, Murphy, Catalanotto and Boggs? I know he's 27, but come on this guy can jack 25 in the show easily!

Every year it's the same story with Cruz. He tears up AAA and sucks it up big time in the majors. Normally, I shrug that kind of thing off as growing pains, but he's had enough major league AB's to make you wonder...

2006: AAA - .302/.378/.528, Majors - .223/.261/.385

2007: AAA - .352/.428/.698, Majors - .235/.287/.384

Totals in the Majors: 145 Games, 442 AB's, .231/.282/.385

I'm not completely giving up on him, but he's not nearly as sure a thing as you're making him out to be.

I'm not saying he's the next star by any means. I'm just saying he's tearing up AAA right now and they have guys playing that shouldn't be. Broussard, Catalanotto, Bradley, Murphy & Boggs, now come on. Why not just give him another shot and see what he can do. I think it's a given that he would outproduce those guys...

I think it's a given that he would outproduce those guys...

Again, not necessarily disagreeing with you, but these were the same words that were said last year when Wilkerson, Botts, Catalanotto, and Hairston were hitting something like a combined .240. And again, Cruz was called up and took over RF and ended up posting numbers worse than all of them.

Now this actually seems to be the start of another real AAAA player.

Hopefully he turns it around, though.

Now this actually seems to be the start of another real AAAA player.

Hopefully he turns it around, though.

So do I. He plays good defense and hustles. At some point this year he'll get a call and get another chance to prove himself. I really hope he figures it out this time.

I think he will. Has a ton of power and might have finally figured it out. Come on Nelson!

Why should he start over Milton Bradley right now? The guy is raking theres no reason for them to bench him, same with Murphy. Boggs was just called up and hes proving he deserves to be up there right now, but not sure if he will be staying. If he keeps hitting like he has Byrd wont have anywhere to play. The rangers pay Cat too much money for him to be benched or released and no body wants him to play, not to mention he can play multiple positions. Also like codename said, Cruz isnt much more then a AAAA player, he rakes in AAA but sucks it up in the majors.

Bradley's a game or so away from injuring something and I don't think Murphy's as good as he's been playing. Boggs please! By next week he'll be back down in the minors. Cruz has struggled in the show I agree. But he's onlly 27 and maybe has finally found it. He's already got 11 HR's, 11 SB & 32 RBI in only 96 AB's!

He's already got 11 HR's, 11 SB & 32 RBI in only 96 AB's!

Yes but like it has been said, Hes a AAAA player. He rakes at AAA but is terrible at the bigs. They will probably give him a shot later this year but when he was designated for assignment and NO teams claimed him, that says something.... And you cant play the what if games, Yes Bradley is an injury prone player but he is playing very well right now, no reason to bench him. Same with Murphy, hes been terrific thus far and if your manager benches him, your never going to hear the end of it from your GM. If marlon keeps struggling, the rangers are going to wish they traded him for Matt Murton real fast and Boggs could kick him out of a roster spot.

Whether or not he's a AAAA player or not he's still worth watching. He's currently hitting .359-11-32-11-1.251 in AAA. Those are great numbers and I could still see them dealing Bradley in July and giving Cruz one last shot.

Oh im sure they will trade Bradley should he stay healthy and have a great year, so they can get some prospects.

Not more than a month into the season he can't

Duh

Maybe a change of scenary would do him good as it did Quentin. The Reds could use a right handed bat and the Blue Jays have plenty of pitching to offer. He might do well in the Rays line-up as well. I think the guy just needs to get out of Texas.

Maybe a change of scenary would do him good as it did Quentin. The Reds could use a right handed bat and the Blue Jays have plenty of pitching to offer. He might do well in the Rays line-up as well. I think the guy just needs to get out of Texas.

He's homered in three straight to bring his season total up to 18. He has 45 RBI to go along with 14 SB and an OPS of 1.171. He didn't play this well last season in the minors. I think they should wake up in Texas and get rid of scrubs like Boggs & Catalanotto and give Cruz another shot.

He's homered in three straight to bring his season total up to 18. He has 45 RBI to go along with 14 SB and an OPS of 1.171. He didn't play this well last season in the minors. I think they should wake up in Texas and get rid of scrubs like Boggs & Catalanotto and give Cruz another shot.

Washington seems to like Boggs' production. I think you'll need to see Murphy to slow down to get a shot.

Rangers dont have much faith in Cruz, he has never shown anything in his chances in the majors, not a hot run, not a good week or anything. Just extremely mediocre.

Right now with Murphy hitting, Hamilton a beast, and Bradley hitting there is no spot for him anyway. He is not the type to be a pinch hitter. Best case scenerio here is a team sees his numbers and offers the rangers a young pitcher for him or something. Or, if Bradley gets dealt near the deadline maybe he gets one last shot.

Yeah I dont see him being called up either. Cat plays because we need a 1st basemen with Blalock out and he has a big salary and we have a crowded OF as it is. Murphy, Jham and Bradley have been raking and byrd and boggs have done very well with there Playing time. I think if anything he will be used as trade bait along with Laird or something..

Up to 22 HR's, 65 RBI and 17 SB's. Also hitting .359!

This is usually where I step in and say his K-rate is too poor to hit in the majors, but his isn't! His K-rate finally went down in AAA last year, and his walk rate went up. Both of those continued into this year. He turns 28 next week, so the fact he's crushing the ball in the "PCL" is not a surprise at all. If he has solid talent, he should destroy AAA at his age(especially the offensive paradise that is the PCL). He's shown power and speed in the past and finally has a solid BB/K rate, so he could be successful in the majors(esp. in TEX).

One problem is that there is little room. Blaylock just returned, and C.Davis is a superior prospect and also ready(INF's I know, but still will cause other to move around). Cruz wasn't called up when Bradley got hurt last week, and if you consider the following players aren't playing for the RAngers right now, and should be next month(Davis/Bradley/Blaylock), then it's hard to see Cruz getting playing time.

This is usually where I step in and say his K-rate is too poor to hit in the majors, but his isn't! His K-rate finally went down in AAA last year, and his walk rate went up. Both of those continued into this year. He turns 28 next week, so the fact he's crushing the ball in the "PCL" is not a surprise at all. If he has solid talent, he should destroy AAA at his age(especially the offensive paradise that is the PCL). He's shown power and speed in the past and finally has a solid BB/K rate, so he could be successful in the majors(esp. in TEX).

One problem is that there is little room. Blaylock just returned, and C.Davis is a superior prospect and also ready(INF's I know, but still will cause other to move around). Cruz wasn't called up when Bradley got hurt last week, and if you consider the following players aren't playing for the RAngers right now, and should be next month(Davis/Bradley/Blaylock), then it's hard to see Cruz getting playing time.

Good points. I know he has no place to play in Texas, but if they do trade Bradley or he gets hurt and needs a DL stint they should give him another chance. He's better than Boggs, Cat & Murphy IMO and it's a shame that he's stuck in AAA. The dude has 20/20 potential and I'd love to see him up again or get traded to a team that could use an OF (KC, SEA, OAK).

I think Cruz would make a good fit for the Tampa Bay Rays in RF - They're all about giving guys second chances and letting them take off.

Good points. I know he has no place to play in Texas, but if they do trade Bradley or he gets hurt and needs a DL stint they should give him another chance. He's better than Boggs, Cat & Murphy IMO and it's a shame that he's stuck in AAA. The dude has 20/20 potential and I'd love to see him up again or get traded to a team that could use an OF (KC, SEA, OAK).

He's definitely better than Boggs and Cat, but absolutely not better than Murphy.

He's definitely better than Boggs and Cat, but absolutely not better than Murphy.

Since you're a MA boy I'll take your word. Interestingly though Cruz #'s in 2007 were .235, 9 HR's, 34 RBI, 35 runs, 2 SB's and .671 OPS in 307 AB's. Murphy has 1 more HR, 17 more RBI, 7 more runs and 3 more SB's in 11 less AB's this year. The big difference is the advantage in BA .274 to .235 and OPS .760 to .671. So Murphy's #'s are better, but Cruz didn't have Hamilton or a healthy Kinsler last year in the lineup either.