Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppy

Nelson Cruz, OF, TEX

Since you're a MA boy I'll take your word. Interestingly though Cruz #'s in 2007 were .235, 9 HR's, 34 RBI, 35 runs, 2 SB's and .671 OPS in 307 AB's. Murphy has 1 more HR, 17 more RBI, 7 more runs and 3 more SB's in 11 less AB's this year. The big difference is the advantage in BA .274 to .235 and OPS .760 to .671. So Murphy's #'s are better, but Cruz didn't have Hamilton or a healthy Kinsler last year in the lineup either.

But Murphy is proving he can do it at the MLB level...when has Cruz ever done that? He's had ample opportunities, but has been nothing but mediocre for the Rangers.

I disagree. The previous post was making the point that Cruz DID hit when he was up. 9 homes is not great but he proved he can hit mlb pitching. There must be something else about his character they don't like ir he would be up

Is Texas ever bringing this guy up?

most likely not unless a few OF go down with an injury. With Byrd, Murphy, Hamilton, and Bradley where would he play? The guy is a AAAA player. He has always excelled in AAA and struggled in the big show, best case is another team trades for him.

the guy straight up mashes triple a pitching but when he comes up he cannot hit his weight when he was a junior in high school.... i think he is like 27 now so if he did get a shot, if he was going to ever become a major league ball player it has to happen for him now....love the "talent" just needs to use it when he gets here.....

Mayberry can't be far from passing him on the depth chart. Tex very badly wants to show something for Mayberry's high draft pick and will soon have nothing less to prove in AAA.

Nelson Cruz Drawing Interest

28 year-old Rangers minor league outfielder Nelson Cruz has a career line of .231/.282/.385 in 478 plate appearances. So why is he drawing trade interest right now?

Cruz has utterly destroyed Triple A pitching this year, hitting a monstrous .343/.444/.689 in 80 games. He's even cut down on the strikeouts somewhat. Of course, this is his fourth extended stint at Triple A and he's mashed there before. But perhaps after Jack Cust last year teams will give these Quad-A types a closer look. Cruz, unlike Cust, can play right field. He does not appear to be in the Rangers' plans.

From sportline.com blog

Nelson Cruz Drawing Interest

28 year-old Rangers minor league outfielder Nelson Cruz has a career line of .231/.282/.385 in 478 plate appearances. So why is he drawing trade interest right now?

Cruz has utterly destroyed Triple A pitching this year, hitting a monstrous .343/.444/.689 in 80 games. He's even cut down on the strikeouts somewhat. Of course, this is his fourth extended stint at Triple A and he's mashed there before. But perhaps after Jack Cust last year teams will give these Quad-A types a closer look. Cruz, unlike Cust, can play right field. He does not appear to be in the Rangers' plans.

From sportline.com blog

Maybe the Rangers will wake up and deal him and other prospects for a starting pitcher that's actually decent.

Three homers last night.

Cruz is now batting 345 with 30 homers, 21 steal and 80 RBIs. I picked Cruz up early in the year as a back up in case Milton Bradley got hurt.

Why don't the Rangers give him another chance for a couple of months instead of the Boggs and Byrd platoon?

Three homers last night.

Cruz is now batting 345 with 30 homers, 21 steal and 80 RBIs. I picked Cruz up early in the year as a back up in case Milton Bradley got hurt.

Why don't the Rangers give him another chance for a couple of months instead of the Boggs and Byrd platoon?

I've been pimping Cruz here all season and I have the same question. Dude is having an incredible season and has a shot at the triple crown. Either deal him to a team that will give him a chance or call him up!

Cruz is out of options. That is why we haven't seen him.

Boggs can be sent to the minors, while Cruz cannot. If the Rangers called Cruz up, they would have had to have kept him on the roster all season long or they would have lost his rights. They weren't willing to take that chance on a guy that they have already taken an extended look at. So, in this case, it actually works against him that he has played so well since they would be afraid to lose his rights.

The last thing you want from your 4th-5th OF is a guy that is out of options since it limits your flexibility, especially for a team with a young pitching staff in flux and a propensity to be injured at other positions as well (Bradley, Blalock, Byrd, half their pitching staff). They probably would have been forced into a tough spot if he was on the roster at the beginning of the year. You also have to remember that Boggs got off to blazing hot start. He is fading badly. I think we see Cruz very soon.

He deserves another shot, but he better be ready for the Rangers sake, since they can't afford to bring him up to sit the bench or perform poorly again.

Are you kidding me, 2 more dingers last night and 8 in the past 6 games! Up to .342 with 34 HR, 85 RBI, 21 SB and 1.164 OPS!

The Mets are supposedly looking at Cruz. That would be sweet if they could get him for a steal.

The Mets are supposedly looking at Cruz. That would be sweet if they could get him for a steal.

Any link?

3-5 with another HR last night. Season line now looks like this.

.347, 36 HR, 91 RBI, 90 R, 22 SB, .443 OBP, .729 SLG, 1.172 OPS! He's tied for third in AVG, leads the league in HR, RBI, TB, OBP, SLG, OPS and is tied for the lead in SB. This guy is having a montser season even if you guys believe he's a AAAA player! I still think he's a player that would be a good MLB player!

2-5 today with his 37th HR, 2 RBI to bring him up to 93, oh and he stole two more bases to bring his total up to 24!

Just sayin...

2-5 today with his 37th HR, 2 RBI to bring him up to 93, oh and he stole two more bases to bring his total up to 24!

Just sayin...

IS ANYONE IN TEXAS PAYING ATTENTION?

IS ANYONE IN TEXAS PAYING ATTENTION?

People will come on here and say he's a AAAA player and already had his chances in Texas, but he's 27 and that's the magic age. Could he possibly have figured things out? Give the dude another chance!

People will come on here and say he's a AAAA player and already had his chances in Texas, but he's 27 and that's the magic age. Could he possibly have figured things out? Give the dude another chance!

BINGO!! Couldn't have said it better. Play him while he is hot! He could hit anybody right now.