Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppy

Nelson Cruz, OF, TEX

People will come on here and say he's a AAAA player and already had his chances in Texas, but he's 27 and that's the magic age. Could he possibly have figured things out? Give the dude another chance!

Peppy and I agreed on this one

Peppy and I agreed on this one

Thanks Tribefan!

3 more RBI last night for Mr. Cruz! Last ten games for Cruz he's hitting .400, 10 HR, 21 RBI, 12 R & 3 SB!

his numbers are insane, someone has to give this guy another shot

You would hope...

Theres speculation that if Bradley goes on the DL or Byrd gets traded then Nelson Cruz would get called up. Heard it on the rangers game last night

even i have to agree that at some point you have to get the guy up here and see what he can do. platoon him, spot-start him, something...

Now, the Reds are interested after dealing Griffey

Feel sorry for the kid that he didn't get dealt. Hopefully he gets a chance at some point.

Not that it matters, but I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the park that he plays in.....? Hitters park I'm assuming?

i do not know what kind of park he currently plays in, but i am pretty sure it would not matter.... bombs are bombs.... and with a batting avg. and steal totals like his, he needs to be in the pros....i wish the reds would have traded for him yesterday, i guess they still can i would love to see him at great american and bring some right handed thunder with him.....

i do not know what kind of park he currently plays in, but i am pretty sure it would not matter.... bombs are bombs.... and with a batting avg. and steal totals like his, he needs to be in the pros....i wish the reds would have traded for him yesterday, i guess they still can i would love to see him at great american and bring some right handed thunder with him.....

I agree to a certain extent, but I am curious if it's a Arlington like park, a nuetral park, or a pitchers park. I know bombs are bombs, but if he is in a pitchers park now and goes to Arlington when he is called up things could be even nicer B)

Cruz should be up right now starting in one of the OF spots in Texas. Obviously his numbers wouldn't be this incredible, but he's a guy that could hit 30 bombs annually and steal 20 bags. He's not a AAAA player, he's just finally figured things out. David Ortiz didn't have things click for him until he was 27-28 and guess what, that's what age Cruz is now! No one, I don't care what they tell you, expected Ortiz to turn things around like he did when he hit that magical age. No I'm not saying Cruz is the next Big Papi, but just saying that he's turned the corner in his career and should be up starting somewhere months ago.

I agree to a certain extent, but I am curious if it's a Arlington like park, a nuetral park, or a pitchers park. I know bombs are bombs, but if he is in a pitchers park now and goes to Arlington when he is called up things could be even nicer B)

true. i just know i would love to have him on the reds and my fantasy team when he gets the call...

true. i just know i would love to have him on the reds and my fantasy team when he gets the call...

I think I read somewhere that he passed through waivers, so the Reds could still make a deal to get him.

You read that he passed through waivers in the spring. They were waiting for the Griffey money part of his deal to be approved by the leaugue befor ethey started negotiations.

I hope something happens soon. I have him stashed on 2 leagues and hoping he catches fire to help me down the stretch.

And Arlington is considered a hitters park. That's why i'm sitting Marcum tonight

Cruz is now on the DL! So much for all of that hope.

They say he'll be out no more than a week.

You can't compare Pappy to Cruz. Pappy had 9 MLB homeruns at the age of 22, the same total Cruz has as a 28 years old. Pappy was well established at 26 in the majors when he had a 20 HR campaign and 75 rbi's, and then at 27 he hit over 30 hr's and over 100 rbi's. Cruz still has holes in his swing that are exposed when he faces MLB pitching. I've watched him play and

I would love to see him succeed, but I don't seem him as anything more then a 4th outfielder in the majors. It's easy to see an older player put up huge numbers in the minors and get excited, but he's 28, still in AAA.

You can't compare Pappy to Cruz. Pappy had 9 MLB homeruns at the age of 22, the same total Cruz has as a 28 years old. Pappy was well established at 26 in the majors when he had a 20 HR campaign and 75 rbi's, and then at 27 he hit over 30 hr's and over 100 rbi's. Cruz still has holes in his swing that are exposed when he faces MLB pitching. I've watched him play and

I would love to see him succeed, but I don't seem him as anything more then a 4th outfielder in the majors. It's easy to see an older player put up huge numbers in the minors and get excited, but he's 28, still in AAA.

It's Papi by the way.

It's Papi by the way.

I know it's Papi, I was combining Peppy and Papi. I just figures you weren't much of a Papi fan when you mentioned "No one, I don't care what they tell you, expected Ortiz to turn things around like he did when he hit that magical age." when in reality he was producing at 24 years old in the majors and owned in both of my leagues at 23.

I know it's Papi, I was combining Peppy and Papi. I just figures you weren't much of a Papi fan when you mentioned "No one, I don't care what they tell you, expected Ortiz to turn things around like he did when he hit that magical age." when in reality he was producing at 24 years old in the majors and owned in both of my leagues at 23.

Wow, you're one tricky guy adding names together like that. I'm a Sox fan, so of course I'm a Big Papi fan...No one expected him to put up the numbers he's put up since he joined the Sox. Papi was 24 years old in 2000, lets look at his great numbers that season for the Twins. .282, 10 HR, 63 RBI.... In 2001, .234, 18 HR, 48 RBI.... In 2002, .272, 20 HR, 75 RBI.... Let's see what the numbers were when he turned the magical age of 27 in 2003. .288, 31 HR, 101 RBI....In Ortiz's six seasons with the Twins he averaged a HR one in every 25.5 AB's (58 HR in 1477 AB's). Cruz in his two seasons with the Rangers has averaged a HR one in every 29 AB's (15 HR in 437 AB's)...Again never said Cruz is Big Pappy as you call him, but just stating you never know unless you give him a shot...

I guess my point would be that Cruz has had oppurtunities and he hasn't hit in the majors. He would probably be better served getting traded to another organization. I don't think Texas beleives in him as a major leaguer. No comment anymore on the Papi comparisons, obviously your trolling, when you compare the two players.

I guess my point would be that Cruz has had oppurtunities and he hasn't hit in the majors. He would probably be better served getting traded to another organization. I don't think Texas beleives in him as a major leaguer. No comment anymore on the Papi comparisons, obviously your trolling, when you compare the two players.

You obviously never got the point I was trying to make, but oh well.

I don't think Nelson has REALLY had the opportunities everyone is talking about. He has only 442 ML AB's. 15HR's and .231 average don't make him a bust. The fact he is 28 and absolutely devours AAA pitching 'could' mean he is ready to do the same in the Show.

Getting hurt is another example of getting opportunities. He may have been traded in a waiver deal bit now but is on the DL. I still wonder if there is some conflict with management that has prevented him from getting promoted. Boggs and Byrd are nothing to write home about.