TX Babe Ruth

Alex Smith 2017 Season Outlook

Could see Washington trading for Smith in a panic move to save face after Kirk Cousins signs a mega deal somewhere else.

You don't give up two 1sts and a 3rd for Mahomes, who's upside is insane, and then stick with Alex Smith and ensure you will stay a mediocre football team. 

The Chiefs are also way over the cap with Smith's salary on the books. He'll be traded for 2nd and 3rd round picks or something along those lines.  

If he ends up in Denver, which I don’t think is possible at all, I’ll just boycott the whole season and watch college ball

Nah, I’ve already lived through the Kyle Orton era once 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

They aren't even comparable...

15 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Gotta be better than the Tim Tebow era nad current era.

8 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Gotta be better than the Tim Tebow era nad current era.

To this day that playoff victory is my favorite live sporting event I’ve ever attended, so nah

23 minutes ago, devaster said:

They aren't even comparable...

Both bridge QBs, at best. The league’s best backups

Has everyone lost their minds?? Alex Smith is legit starter. I am not an Alex Smith fan at all but just look at his numbers this year. They are far from pedestrian.

- 4042 Yards

- 26 TDs

- 5 Ints

1 minute ago, South Carolina said:

Has everyone lost their minds?? Alex Smith is legit starter. I am not an Alex Smith fan at all but just look at his numbers this year. They are far from pedestrian.

- 4042 Yards

- 26 TDs

- 5 Ints

This.  You gonna tell me the Jags or Bills wouldn't love to have Alex Smith?

Yes! The Jags would be unbeatable with a legit QB: Bortles is a train wreck and they still win.

1 hour ago, South Carolina said:

Yes! The Jags would be unbeatable with a legit QB: Bortles is a train wreck and they still win.

Alex smith has always been good at minimizing risk and game managing.  This year he showed he can really let it loose if he needs to. With a defense like the Jags have, that is exactly what they need.

19 mill for Bortles or 20 mill for Smith seems like a no brainer. Problem is Smith is 33 next year and Bortles is 26 and also Smith is a FA after 2018.  So what exactly would you give up for a QB in that situation?  Also Bortles has shown he could be good and that he could be really bad.  So which Bortles do you get next year?

21 hours ago, South Carolina said:

The Jags are almost the same team offensively (roughly equivalent young stud RBs) but with no true WR1 and no Kelce.  Sure the DEF is an upgrade from KC but Smith would face the same problems in JAX as he would KC.  

How about a dark horse candidate, the Pats?  Alex Smith would be a great transition from the Brady era should his hype about "playing well into his 40s" gets exposed as nonsense.   Trading Garappolo seems like it was forced on BB, perhaps he talks Kraft into using the 2nd rounder from the trade to get Smith whose contract is probably about what G-polo will get paid by the Niners (and he would have expected from the Pats).  Restructure him with a extension in ~$20mm/year for 4-5 years and bam, Pats championship window extended for another 5 years.  

3 hours ago, jumper said:

The Jags are almost the same team offensively (roughly equivalent young stud RBs) but with no true WR1 and no Kelce.  Sure the DEF is an upgrade from KC but Smith would face the same problems in JAX as he would KC.  

How about a dark horse candidate, the Pats?  Alex Smith would be a great transition from the Brady era should his hype about "playing well into his 40s" gets exposed as nonsense.   Trading Garappolo seems like it was forced on BB, perhaps he talks Kraft into using the 2nd rounder from the trade to get Smith whose contract is probably about what G-polo will get paid by the Niners (and he would have expected from the Pats).  Restructure him with a extension in ~$20mm/year for 4-5 years and bam, Pats championship window extended for another 5 years.  

I'd argue the Jags have one of the better WR cores in the league assuming ARob is a full go.

Alex Smith will be a starter next year and likely a solid one wherever he ends up. I'll be looking for him preferably as a backup in 12-teamers. That will be tough though because some desperate teams will take him as a QB1.

8 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Alex Smith will be a starter next year and likely a solid one wherever he ends up. I'll be looking for him preferably as a backup in 12-teamers. That will be tough though because some desperate teams will take him as a QB1.

A backup QB is a waste of a roster spot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

QB will be so deep next season  he may be your bye week QB or streamer.

11 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

If you find yourself in a 12 team league where Smith  is drafted as a starter you need to search for a new owner or a better league.

2 hours ago, petekrum said:

If you find yourself in a 12 team league where Smith  is drafted as a starter you need to search for a new owner or a better league.

I disagree, he's fine as a back end QB1.  Only 3 probable no-brainer QB1s next year; Rodgers, Wilson, and DeShaun.  Then you have the "stud but will he retire?" tier composed of Big Ben, Brady, and Brees. Next up the "will he be healthy?" tier of Luck and Wentz. Then the "solid season-long QB1 but not  probably not going to win your league" guys like Cam, Ryan, Stafford, and maybe Cousins depending on where he ends up.  Then the gaggle of all the guys who are fringe QB1 guys that SOMEONE will need to pick as a starter just to fill their team and could probably ranked pick-em based on owner preference or matchup;  Rivers, Garoppolo, Alex Smith, Keenum, Bradford, etc.).  Any of which have the talent to give you top 3 numbers for the season if everything works out perfectly. All are capable of giving you either 3 or 30 points any given week and thus aren't automatic 'plug and play' guys.  All are easily replaced with one of their peers if he sucks.  If I waited to draft my QB I'd probably be comfortable with any of that last tier of guys as my starting QB although I might stream someone else for particularly bad matchups. 

29 minutes ago, jumper said:

I disagree, he's fine as a back end QB1.  Only 3 probable no-brainer QB1s next year; Rodgers, Wilson, and DeShaun.  Then you have the "stud but will he retire?" tier composed of Big Ben, Brady, and Brees. Next up the "will he be healthy?" tier of Luck and Wentz. Then the "solid season-long QB1 but not  probably not going to win your league" guys like Cam, Ryan, Stafford, and maybe Cousins depending on where he ends up.  Then the gaggle of all the guys who are fringe QB1 guys that SOMEONE will need to pick as a starter just to fill their team and could probably ranked pick-em based on owner preference or matchup;  Rivers, Garoppolo, Alex Smith, Keenum, Bradford, etc.).  Any of which have the talent to give you top 3 numbers for the season if everything works out perfectly. All are capable of giving you either 3 or 30 points any given week and thus aren't automatic 'plug and play' guys.  All are easily replaced with one of their peers if he sucks.  If I waited to draft my QB I'd probably be comfortable with any of that last tier of guys as my starting QB although I might stream someone else for particularly bad matchups. 

I'm of the school of thought that you don't need a stud QB to win your league and I honestly have never been in a league where a QB won the a team their title. Sure there are a couple of weeks here and there where the QB puts up a 30pt game but generally speaking i will take the consistent and reliable 15- 20pt a week QB over the guy that  randomly gets hot but gives you the 11-15pt weeks on the regular.  The position is too deep to roster a second QB in single leagues unless u drafted a rodgers and then u picked up a wentz or watson on the waiver to use for trade purposes.  My season went Palmer->Wentz->Bortles/Keenum and I won the title. 

Edited by dashoe

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm of the school of thought that you don't need a stud QB to win your league and I honestly have never been in a league where a QB won the a team their title. Sure there are a couple of weeks here and there where the QB puts up a 30pt game but generally speaking i will take the consistent and reliable 15- 20pt a week QB over the guy that  randomly gets hot but gives you the 11-15pt weeks on the regular.  The position is too deep to roster a second QB in single leagues unless u drafted a rodgers and then u picked up a wentz or watson on the waiver to use for trade purposes.  My season went Palmer->Wentz->Bortles/Keenum and I won the title. 

Yeah, I went Smith in the draft, picked up Keenum mid-year to replace Smith, and then went back to Smith for the 'Ship game.  CSB but it proves the point that picking someone like Smith as your starter in a 12-teamer isn't quite the kiss of death that some think it is.   That being said there are years where a stud QB can basically win the league for you, PFM in 2013 for example.  Problem is that people tend to way overdraft that guy the following year and he rarely returns the value invested in him (hello Cam Newton's investors in 2016 who followed "expert" advice to take him as overall QB1 in the draft and spent a 3rd round pick on him).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, petekrum said:

What is with the negativity towards Smith? He finished as the #4 QB in fantasy last season. Sure, there were injuries, but he is still a top-12 fantasy QB.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

What is with the negativity towards Smith? He finished as the #4 QB in fantasy last season. Sure, there were injuries, but he is still a top-12 fantasy QB.

Yep.  And two of my three leagues are 2QB leagues, including my dynasty league.  I actually just traded for Smith in that one.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

What was his rank after the bye?

Begining of the season was a  fluky. If you look at his career fantasy numbers, they are pretty  average.

3 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

What was his rank after the bye?

Begining of the season was a  fluky. If you look at his career fantasy numbers, they are pretty  average.

No idea, but he had a 37pt week. Two games above 17pts. 2 bad games, 1 mediocre, and 1 game he didn't play (week 17). Looks fine to me.