Rolling Thunder

Davante Adams 2017 Season Outlook

I could not find a thread for Adams.  

He strikes me as a player that is continuing to grow.  I also believe GB's defense will be more porous.   Durability scares me, but beyond that, Adams seems a safe bet at whatever his ADP ends up.    

Edited by Rolling Thunder

I love the guy, picked him off the waiver last year and performed like a stud until he didnt , it's just difficult to know which GB pass catcher gets fed by roders from game to game. Wouldnt hesitate to take him as a wr2 knowing on any given week he can be a wr1 or a wr3 in points

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1

He concerns me this year...he's a FA at the end of the year so for dynasty owners, he may not remain in GB if he has another great season. 

For 2017, if Cobb actually stays healthy, it could eat into Adams and Jordy's upside. 

I actually see Adams sticking around GB for awhile. Jordy is getting up there in age and Cobb has not performed up to his contract so I could see Cobb being released to make room for Adams contract. GB also doesn't have any real WR prospects either since Janis is clearly not the coaching staff's cup of tea and Montgomery is now a full time RB.. I guess it's probably too early to make a judgment on Trevor Davis and Geronimo Allison but Dynasty wise Adams could still hold good value.

As far as 2017 goes, I'd be very weary of his current ADP being back end of the 3rd/start of the 4th. There would be teams who may go RB/RB in the first 2 rounds that would realistically be staring at Adams as their WR1, a scary thought to some. Adams mostly just lacks explosion and high end speed, he runs pretty good routes, has good chemistry with Rodgers, and has better hands than most people want to give him credit for.. He can also jump to the moon but that isn't really part of GB's game plan on a regular basis.

• Like 3

In PPR last season, he was tied for 9th in PPG.  What I like is his steady improvement year to year, his established chemistry with Rogers and GB's vulnerable defense.  GB will be chasing points every week, and as always, the lion's share of those will come through the air.  Adams strikes me as a reliable selection, if nothing else.  I'd be happy to have him as my WR2.   .   

Edited by Rolling Thunder

On 5/11/2017 at 1:11 PM, joshua18 said:

He concerns me this year...he's a FA at the end of the year so for dynasty owners, he may not remain in GB if he has another great season. 

For 2017, if Cobb actually stays healthy, it could eat into Adams and Jordy's upside. 

Good point about the 2018 FA status, though MoonBlaster makes a good point too: it's Cobb's production that's lacking, not Adams'. Cobb had his big chance when Jordy took a year off:

Cobb:

2014 = 91 rec. / 1287 yards / 12 TDs (16 games) (with Jordy at 98 / 1519 / 13)

2015 = 79 rec. / 829 yards / 6 TDs (16 games) (Jordy's injury year, Cobb at #1)

2016 = 60 rec. / 610 yards / 4 TDs (13 games) (Adams finding his hands)

Adams

2014 = 38 / 446 / 3 ("Sloppy")

2015 = 50 / 483 / 1 ("Droppy")

2016 = 75 / 997 / 12 (handy, with 4 100+ yard games)

On 5/11/2017 at 1:33 PM, MoonBlaster said:

I actually see Adams sticking around GB for awhile. Jordy is getting up there in age and Cobb has not performed up to his contract so I could see Cobb being released to make room for Adams contract.

As far as 2017 goes, I'd be very weary of his current ADP being back end of the 3rd/start of the 4th.

I can see being weary when it comes to Cobb, though I'm also wary.

The key for Davante "Droppy" Adams is, he dropped his nickname / found his hands in 2016.

On 5/11/2017 at 5:05 PM, Rolling Thunder said:

In PPR last season, he was tied for 9th in PPG.  What I like is his steady improvement year to year, his established chemistry with Rogers and GB's vulnerable defense.  GB will be chasing points every week, and as always, the lion's share of those will come through the air.  Adams strikes me as a reliable selection, if nothing else.  I'd be happy to have him as my WR2.   .   

• Like 1

I think a bigger point is that neither Cobb nor Adams is great when they have to play through lower extremity injuries -- as Adams showed in 2015 and Cobb in 2016. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

I think a bigger point is that neither Cobb nor Adams is great when they have to play through lower extremity injuries

They should toughen up, be like all those other wide receivers that DOMINATE while playing through lower leg injuries.

• Like 2

On May 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM, joshua18 said:

I love a young wr in a contract year...not named Jeffery.

1 minute ago, psygolf said:

I love a young wr in a contract year...not named Jeffery.

... with Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball...

1 minute ago, Winky said:

... with Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball...

Takes it to "ah...ho...nutha...levah"

@96mnc has more info on this, but Jordy played a lot from the slot last year, which is where Cobb had his best seasons in this offense. With Jordy lined up on the inside, Adams ends up being the top threat lined up on the outside. While Cobb should be better assuming health, the chemistry Adams has developed with Rodgers can't be overlooked. TDs may be flukey, but Rodgers looked to Adams quite a bit in the red zone, and Adams, for the most part, answered the call.

I'm a bit curious to see how Bennett eats into the targets of Jordy/Adams/Cobb, as he'll arguably be the best all-around TE Rodgers has played with in his career. 

As for Adams, I do believe he's a solid pick at his current 3rd round ADP, and I think I'd rather take a chance on him than someone like Jeffery or Keenan Allen.

• Like 2

^^^ agree

wonder how people feel about taking adams, compared to landry in ppr

also would you shy away from adams if you took jordy

Edited by colepenhagen

4 hours ago, mrblonde1984 said:

@96mnc has more info on this, but Jordy played a lot from the slot last year, which is where Cobb had his best seasons in this offense. With Jordy lined up on the inside, Adams ends up being the top threat lined up on the outside. While Cobb should be better assuming health, the chemistry Adams has developed with Rodgers can't be overlooked. TDs may be flukey, but Rodgers looked to Adams quite a bit in the red zone, and Adams, for the most part, answered the call.

I'm a bit curious to see how Bennett eats into the targets of Jordy/Adams/Cobb, as he'll arguably be the best all-around TE Rodgers has played with in his career. 

As for Adams, I do believe he's a solid pick at his current 3rd round ADP, and I think I'd rather take a chance on him than someone like Jeffery or Keenan Allen.

In pre-season and training camp I'll be looking to see if Jordy has regained a step outside so he can excel there again.  It'd be best for GB if he has.

25 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Funny we don't hear the cries to get rid f him and play Janis anymore.

An interesting theory i heard about this:

Jeff Janis is a country-boy, real, salt of the earth, tractor-driving, middle America. Aaron Rodgers is a pseudo-intellectual from California. Their personalities don't match in any way, and Rodgers probably thinks Janis is dumb as hell. Had Janis been playing in simpleton Brett Favre's era, he would have been a huge hit. They would get along really well and instead of running complex routes, Janis would be catching deep bombs all game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

An interesting theory i heard about this:

Jeff Janis is a country-boy, real, salt of the earth, tractor-driving, middle America. Aaron Rodgers is a pseudo-intellectual from California. Their personalities don't match in any way, and Rodgers probably thinks Janis is dumb as hell. Had Janis been playing in simpleton Brett Favre's era, he would have been a huge hit. They would get along really well and instead of running complex routes, Janis would be catching deep bombs all game.

So....what exactly is Jordy Nelson?

CMKgLBSWIAA9BeK.jpg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

CMKgLBSWIAA9BeK.jpg

Exactly. My theory is Janis is a bum.

3 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Exactly. My theory is Janis is a bum.

Never understood the Janis love.  

Adams will have some games with mega volume- anytime GB has to sling it (often) and Jordy is shaded.

But some very modest games as well, with the wealth of other options available.

A great wr2 for your fantasy team.   tough sell as your 1...better have some stud rbs to compensate.

5 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

I'm just the messenger.

Here's that theory, in their own words:

I thought it was pretty funny.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mrblonde1984 said:

I like him over keenan but not over alshon. in the 3rd rd.  Alshon is litererally the best pass catching option on the Eagles whereas adams is one of many solid targets on GB. With 2 teams where the QB's love to throw I will take alshon over adams but i'm not trying to slice hairs.  I have alshon end of rd 2 as a wr1 and adams i view more as a wr2 with wr1 upside every single week.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:06 PM, dashoe said:

I love the guy, picked him off the waiver last year and performed like a stud until he didnt , it's just difficult to know which GB pass catcher gets fed by roders from game to game. Wouldnt hesitate to take him as a wr2 knowing on any given week he can be a wr1 or a wr3 in points

This is a perfect summation of Adams last year which is also his best year to date. Now Bennett is there and Cobb is healthy. Barring a huge preseason (and maybe even then) seems like 2016 was Adams' ceiling: boom and bust WR7 171 points in standard.

1 hour ago, FreakFries said:

This is a perfect summation of Adams last year which is also his best year to date. Now Bennett is there and Cobb is healthy. Barring a huge preseason (and maybe even then) seems like 2016 was Adams' ceiling: boom and bust WR7 171 points in standard.

Adams? WR7? This makes me weep, but I'm not sure if it's from laughter or pity.

2 hours ago, petekrum said:

Crazy right? In standard scoring he finished as the WR7 with 171 points last year. Great waiver wire pick up. Looks a little expensive to me this year.

3 hours ago, petekrum said:

You might be thinking that's a projection.  But that's what actually happened.

I'm expecting him to come down.  Wouldn't be terribly surprised if he didn't, though.