Rolling Thunder

Bilal Powell 2017 Outlook

Unless you have to, I wouldn't start until we see more. Maybe he will get the ball more tomorrow but I'm not ready to take that chance until I see it. He could be a decent buy low for the 2nd half of the season, but for now, I think anyone who starts will be disappointed.

Straight hot garbadge... those fantasy experts look like geniuses valuing him as a fourth-fifth round pick pre-draft. This dude won't have any use until Matt forte breaks down, and even then he's only semi-flex worthy

1 minute ago, jdegs7 said:

Straight hot garbadge... those fantasy experts look like geniuses valuing him as a fourth-fifth round pick pre-draft. This dude won't have any use until Matt forte breaks down, and even then he's only semi-flex worthy

I never bought into it one bit, I have always been confused by the love affair people have with this turd knocker

Just now, Savatage79 said:

I never bought into it one bit, I have always been confused by the love affair people have with this turd knocker

Smh, just three exceptional games at the end of the season last year and his draft capital skyrocketed. There's a reason why this dude is 29 and has always played second fiddle - he especially has no shot of a renaissance year on this trash Jets team. 

11 hours ago, dlionsfan901 said:

What's everyone doing with this garbage can?  He's honestly droppable at this point 

He is still the best weapon the Jets have--even the Jets should eventually figure that out. I will give him another week or two but his leash is short.

• Like 2

Not really sure why people were thinking about this guy with a 4th round pick.

They thought we would usurp forte maybe? Lol

1 minute ago, pushaZ said:

Not really sure why people were thinking about this guy with a 4th round pick.

They thought we would usurp forte maybe? Lol

Yeah, the theory essentially was: 1) he would supplant Forte as the primary RB (remember, Forte was a very good, albeit up and down, RB2 last year as the primary RB before getting hurt.) 2) he would benefit from volume. The Jets only legitimate weapons are Powell and Forte. There should be enough touches to go around, similar to what Houston did this week with Miller/Foreman. Since Powell played better last year, is younger and fresher, and the passing down back in theory a disproportionate share of those touches should go to Powell.

Of course this isn't anywhere near how it is playing out but it was a logical scenario--and it isn't out the realm of possibility that it takes hold later in the season.

I still feel like they are trying to showcase Forte for a trade, but with this rookie essentially now in an even split with Powell for snaps I've lost all optimism. Feels like absolute best-case scenario now is for Forte to be traded and then Powell/rook are in a timeshare. Basically back to 2016 with this guy.

Also worth mentioning that while the other RBs had some pretty decent production Powell got absolutely nothing done with his looks. I'm not dropping yet but hard to tell how much pride is factoring into that decision. I drafted this guy expecting flex production floor and possible RB1/2 production with him supplanting Forte. The paths towards relevance now just aren't there.

• Like 1

Powell is not talented RB he has always been a back up and thats it, The Jets offense is terrible.  He is like James Starks a professional back up RB thats it.

13 hours ago, Crusaderfan said:

This may be my biggest whiff on an over-hyped RB since Kevin Barlow about 10 yrs ago. 

giphy.gif

On 9/18/2017 at 1:00 AM, dlionsfan901 said:

What's everyone doing with this garbage can?  He's honestly droppable at this point 

Dropped him like he's hot.

On 9/18/2017 at 2:18 AM, jdegs7 said:

I like other backup RBs on the WW much better than him. Foreman and Mack come to mind...

Edited by phatrat
CSB removed

This was my stab at picking the best player on a horrendous team.  I received the eighth best player on a horrible team.  Dropping if I can find something on the waiver I like better - maybe Kearse.lol

just let him go...Can get a backup on a great offense...I have a feeling I won't be back on this thread...Good luck to all

Edited by mar1kle

On 7/14/2017 at 12:19 PM, JSA2422 said:

just pick up Bilal off the WW around week 8 

Put him on your watchlists if you are dropping him at least 

I definitely think he is going to have value as the season goes on. Forte isn't going to hold up and with the same volume he had last season, he's going to be able to do some things. I think it's a tad too early to drop.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dlionsfan901 said:

He's had two horrible matchups. He's definitely not startable right now but I think he's worth a hold for a few more weeks 

It not the matchups driving the concern it's his utter lack of usage.

2 hours ago, martinjlm said:

It not the matchups driving the concern it's his utter lack of usage.

What do you mean?  His usage is actually up 29% this year compared to last.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, FFCollusion said:

Through week 13, while Forte was 100% healthy, Powell averaged 7 touches a game.

11 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

What do you mean?  His usage is actually up 29% this year compared to last.

D - Dumb to have selected him this year 

R - Relegated to mop up duties behind Forte

O - Offense stinks entirely

P - Pleasure not having him tying up a valuable bench spot

In an effort to make sure they lose all their remaining games, Jets OC John Morton said the team plans to use a three-man running back committee going forward.

Rather than separating himself from the pack, Bilal Powell was out-touched by both Matt Forte and rookie Elijah McGuire while seeing just 18 snaps in last week's loss to Oakland. Mired in a three-man timeshare in one of the league's worst offenses, Powell is looking like a wasted fantasy pick.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:48 AM, Iron-cock said:

I'm copying this comment from the Forte thread, since it's just as relevant here:

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/649355-matt-forte-2017-season-outlook/?do=findComment&comment=7154846

Forte is still the better pass catcher and route runner.

Forte was playing injured last season, he really only played in 12 games although his stat sheet lists 14.

The coaching staff obviously favored Forte last year, to the point of overworking him in the first two weeks and getting him injured.  (59 touches in two games).  His stat line was pretty impressive for those two games too.  52 attempts, 196 yards, 3 tds, 7 catches, 68 yards.

The Jets schedule was tough early, and easy late.  By the end of the season with Forte banged up and the Jets playing for nothing they featured Powell more.

In the last four games of the season Powell had 411 yards, and 5YPC and 21 catches for 141 yards.

But, Powell played awful defenses those last four games.  Judged by yards given up per carry, Powell played against:

San Fran Tied 31st,

MIA Tied 31st,

NE 8th,

BUF 28th

Powell scored less than 10 points in PPR vs the Patriots.  He killed the other teams.  Powell's end of season surge is being overrated.

All that said, Forte is old, and is on a bad team with a questionable offensive line.  Forte or Powell might be worth a flyer late, but I don't think either back is going to be great this year since the Jets offense isn't likely to score points.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:54 AM, Iron-cock said:

I agree.  His ADP seems really inflated on FantasyFootballCalculator.  I don't get it.  Here are the RBs around him:

64     6.04     Paul Perkins
65     6.04     Tevin Coleman
67     6.06     Mark Ingram
71     6.09     Derrick Henry
73     6.11     Bilal Powell
77     7.03     Frank Gore
82     7.08     Samaje Perine

Coleman and Henry have higher upside if the starter goes down.  Perkins, Gore and Perine all have starting Jobs.  Powell will at best split carries on one of the worst offenses in the league, yet he's being overdrafted like he's a feature back or a top notch backup.  

He's still a guy to keep an eye on as the season goes on and a Forte injury becomes more likely, but he seems really overvalued at 73.

Reminder:   Powell was overrated b/c he ran against a soft schedule at the end of last year.  If Forte goes away, that might help Powell a bit in PPR.   If someone drops Powell in a deep PPR league, he might have some value for you down the line.

Also, the blurb writers need to be mindful when reporting Rich Cimini's (Jets Beat Reporter) opinion as if it's a fact.  There is better info on the forums.

On 8/31/2017 at 5:42 PM, cousinal111 said:

Could be big for Powell.

One final note is the Jets OC comes from the Saints, where of course they like running crappy RBBCs.

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 1

Jets OC John Morton said the team plans to use a three-man running back committee going forward.

Rather than separating himself from the pack, Bilal Powell was out-touched by both Matt Forte and rookie Elijah McGuire while seeing just 18 snaps in last week's loss to Oakland. Mired in a three-man timeshare in one of the league's worst offenses, Powell is looking like a wasted fantasy pick.

Phenomenal news for someone like me who is playing Forte this week. Not that he was a huge threat, but to see my opponent starting him in a RB2 slot only makes it that much sweeter since he was getting the lion's share of carries.