Sign in to follow this  
urban2014

Ian Happ 2017 Outlook

7 minutes ago, montgrove said:

Happ isn't going down guys. He's hitting and they are squeezing him in anywhere they can. Don't complicate things, Cubs arent.

Also, Maddon wants Heyward to do a rehab assignment.  They are buying Happ as much time as possible.

48 minutes ago, montgrove said:

Happ isn't going down guys. He's hitting and they are squeezing him in anywhere they can. Don't complicate things, Cubs arent.

I wouldn't say that with any real certainty.  The Cubs called Schwarber up, he raked, they promptly sent him down and subsequently called him up a month later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

I wouldn't say that with any real certainty.  The Cubs called Schwarber up, he raked, they promptly sent him down and subsequently called him up a month later.

Unlike Schwarber, however, Happ can be trusted to play the field everyday. In fact, he's rather versatile defensively much like Kris Bryant. Schwarber is a DH stuck on an NL team, which is why the Cubs toyed around with his promotion from the minors. Also they weren't yet expected to compete when Schwarber made his debut.  I agree there's no telling what they'll do but the situation isn't all that similar to Schwarber or Bryant. They're trying to win games, and Happ is helping them win.

K looking that discerning eye he used last night to get praise got him tonight...

2 hours ago, hard1 said:

K looking that discerning eye he used last night to get praise got him tonight...

Wut??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hard1 said:

2 hours ago, the real donny baseball said:

Do you write instruction manuals for cheap electronics?

1 hour ago, hard1 said:

Why yes I do

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Wut??

I honestly didn't think the first post was that confusing, but let's see if I can help explain what he meant (or at least what I think he meant).

I think he's saying:

"Happ just struck out looking. That patient plate approach (which warned him Madden's praise the other day) bit him on that one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hard1 said:

I got what you're saying, bruh. Poetic. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Wut??

Translation:  Strike out. Looks like that discerning eye that Maddon praised him for when he walked to bring in a run, failed him tonight.

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I got it. Lame attempt at humor. However, punctuation is good. 👍

I don't think it was an attempt at humor at all.

Starting in LF today, so he'll have OF eligibility after today in Yahoo leagues.  The big question is...will it matter?  It's nice seeing him back in the lineup today...the cleanup spot no less...after his "worst" game of the season.  Cubbies seem to be changing pieces around already to accommodate him in the lineup, but that's going to be even tougher when Heyward gets back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

Starting in LF today, so he'll have OF eligibility after today in Yahoo leagues.  The big question is...will it matter?  It's nice seeing him back in the lineup today...the cleanup spot no less...after his "worst" game of the season.  Cubbies seem to be changing pieces around already to accommodate him in the lineup, but that's going to be even tougher when Heyward gets back.

Schwarber was called up for 6 games in 2015 and had a lot of success, only to be optioned back to AAA for a month. Hopefully Happ stays up

Hayward back tomorrow. Fingers crossed that Happ stays up!

15 hours ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

http://mlb.mlb.com/r/video?content_id=1401734983

Skip to 1:00 in and listen to how Maddon regards Ian Happ. I find it very encouraging 

Did I miss something...Maddon doesn't say at word about Happ in this video.  He talks about Lester and Starting Pitching importance to start, and at 1 min he switches to statements about "just catching the ball" while showing an error by the 2nd baseman, and how that stuff affects starting pitchers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

You must be on some good s*** because he doesn't talk about Happ at all in this video. 

I'm thinking MLB must have changed the video on that link.  I clicked on that late last night and it was a longer video and at the 1 minute mark he talked about Happ for 30 seconds or so.

• Like 1

Rotoworld just reported that Happ is batting cleanup again and starting in CF. They note Heyward will be activated tomorrow. The corresponding move is not known at this time. Let's cross our fingers it's not Happ. Or maybe it depends on what Happ does today. Also, I wonder, if they think so highly of him that they bat him cleanup, how do you send him down and remove him from the lineup?

43 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

You must be on some good s*** because he doesn't talk about Happ at all in this video. 

Yes I indeed was on some great s--- last night, but it looks like MLB.com changed the video from a 7+ min interview to a 1:30 clip. Here is the actual video

http://www.csnchicago.com/video/maddon-decision-keeping-happ-it-tough-or-easy 

Edited by to_be_quite_frank
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

Rotoworld just reported that Happ is batting cleanup again and starting in CF. They note Heyward will be activated tomorrow. The corresponding move is not known at this time. Let's cross our fingers it's not Happ. Or maybe it depends on what Happ does today. Also, I wonder, if they think so highly of him that they bat him cleanup, how do you send him down and remove him from the lineup?

surely one game won't determine whether he deserves to be with the major league team or not. i mean, i guess he could have a horrible golden sombrero game with 3 errors in the field or something, but even still...it's one bad game.

not saying you're wrong, just that i hope major league teams have more to go off of than one arbitrary game.

He's not going anywhere. 

Almora has options, I would send him down. The everyday at bats are good for him and creates less a log jam for everyone else.

Edited by ryno1980

1 hour ago, lassetjus said:

Just curious because I haven't studied the Cubbies roster closely.  If Happ stays...barring injuries...who goes down?  Happ's ability to play 2B and OF only helps the cause he was started with his hitting prowess.