Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coach George

Updated top 100: May 15th, 2017

Recommended Posts

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baseball America "updated" their list. I like to be ahead of the curve on these things and I'm sure most lists won't update until midseason.  I thought I'd go ahead and throw my new list out there.  Feel free to tell me where I've got it wrong or if you happen to agree. The most valuable part of this exercise is always the discussion.

 

1.     Yoan Moncada

2.     Cody Bellinger

3.     Eloy Jimenez 

4.     Ian Happ

5.     Michael Kopech

6.     Brendan Rodgers

7.     Ahmed Rosario

8.     Victor Robles

9.     Gleyber Torres

10.   Rafael Devers

11.   Kolby Allard

12.   Franklin Barreto

13.   Austin Meadows

14.   Vlad Guerrero Jr

15.   Alex Reyes

16.   Anderson Espinoza 

17.   Mickey Moniak

18.   Brent Honeywell

19.   Lewis Brinson

20.   Ronald Acuna

21.   Mitch Keller

22.   Clint Frazier 

23.   Reynaldo Lopez

24.   Francis Martes

25.   Walker Buehler

26.   Yadier Alvarez

27.   Triston McKenzie

28.   Jose De Leon

29.   Jason Groome

30.   Kyle Lewis 

31.   Cal Quantrill

32.   Josh Hader

33.   Kyle Tucker

34.   Dylan Cease

35.   Nick Senzel

36.   Willy Adames

37.   Bradley Zimmer 

38.   Lucas Giolito

39.   Mitchell White

40.   Ozhaino Albies

41.   Juan Soto

42.   Tyler Mahle

43.   Yohander Mendez

44.   Braxton Garrett

45.   A.J. Puk

46.   Max Fried

47.   Rhys Hoskins

48.   Leody Tavaras

49.   Kevin Maitan

50.   Mike Soroka

51.   Zack Collins

52.   Dominic Smith

53.   Luke Weaver

54.   Ian Anderson 

55.   Jorge Mateo

56.   Jesus Sanchez

57.   Sandy Alcantara

58.   Dane Dunning

59.   Brandon Woodruff

60.   Tyler O'Neil 

61.   Jorge Alfaro 

62.   Luis Gohara

63.   Justin Dunn

64.   Luis Castillo

65.   Franklin Perez   

66.   Sean Newcomb

67.   Blake Rutherford

68.   Matt Manning                         

69.   Fernando Romero

70.   Corey Ray

71.   Francisco Mejia

72.   Patrick Weigel

73.   Isan Diaz

74.   Thomas Szapucki

75.   James Kaprielian

76.   Sean Reid-Foley

77.   Jeff Hoffman

78.   Carson Kelly

79.   Jake Bauers

80.   Tyler Beede

81.   Sixto Sanchez

82.   JP Crawford 

83.   David Paulino

84.   Oscar De La Cruz

85.   Jack Flaherty

86.   Riley Pint

87.   Christin Stewart

88.   Forrest Whitley

89.   Lourdes Gurriel

90.   Stephen Gonsalves

91.   Alex Verdugo

92.   Adrian Morejon

93.   Willie Calhoun 

94.   Alec Hansen

95.   Fernando Tatis Jr.

96.   Luis Urias

97.   Delvin Perez

98.   Bo Bichette

99.   Anthony Alford

100. Erick Fedde

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Verdugo way too low. 20yr old hitting well at AAA

 

Mejila also way too low. Possibly the best pure hitter in minors. 

 

Tyler mahle? Look at what he is doing at AA and he has the build to last. 

 

Where is Andres Gimenez? If you like Maitain Gimenez should be on this list. 

 

Bichette will be top 20 this time next year

 

Good list all around tho!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'd say tucker is too low

 

You're probably right...he's having a big year and has been pretty highly touted all along.  He's going to be really good.  I could easily move him up 10-15 spots.  Good call on Tucker. I do like him a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I see I absolutely missed mahle on your list. My bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Verdugo way too low. 20yr old hitting well at AAA

 

Mejila also way too low. Possibly the best pure hitter in minors. 

 

Tyler mahle? Look at what he is doing at AA and he has the build to last. 

 

Where is Andres Gimenez? If you like Maitain Gimenez should be on this list. 

 

Bichette will be top 20 this time next year

 

Good list all around tho!!

 

I've never been a huge Verdugo guy...I don't usually put him in my top 100.

 

I'm super high on Mahle...just hope the Reds don't screw him up.

 

Gimenez wasn't a consideration for me.  Maitan has gotten much more hype along the way. Is that warranted? Probably so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I wanted to nitpick I'd say senzel is ranked too low

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also Luis Urias is somehow improving on his numbers from last year. 

 

Could he win batting titles?

 

Should be higher than late 90s. More like in the 30s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the aggressive ranking for Acuna, but I still believe it's too low. I'd like to see him in the mid-teens.

 

I'd even move McKenzie up. Probably closer to Keller than where you have him right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isan is too low, but it's a great list overall man. Maybe I missed him but Erceg still sits in the 50 range for me, and also I have really bumped Carter Kieboom up my ranks as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

If I wanted to nitpick I'd say senzel is ranked too low

 

I think Senzel has an extremely low bust rate.  He's safe.  His skills don't really jump out at me.  I don't see a tremendous amount of upside but I do think he will be a solid major leaguer for a lot of years.  There's value in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not convinced about Kopech yet and so to me 5 is a bit high. I'd personally put him in the late teens, mid-20s. Also nitpicking: I'd swap Fried and Soroka. I think Soroka will be the better pitcher.

 

Edit: to be fair, I mean that Kopech, while wildly talented and having the results to match, has yet to deserve a #5 ranking IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

I like the aggressive ranking for Acuna, but I still believe it's too low. I'd like to see him in the mid-teens.

 

I'd even move McKenzie up. Probably closer to Keller than where you have him right now.

 

I had to back McKenzie down a little because I was afraid that I let my personal; bias inflate him too far.  I LOVE McKenzie and didn't want to get too carried away, but I still wanted to give him the respect he deserves.

 

Acuna is awesome...the only question I have with him is the Ks.  Overall, there is a ton to like there.  He's got as much upside as anyone on the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Isan is too low, but it's a great list overall man. Maybe I missed him but Erceg still sits in the 50 range for me, and also I have really bumped Carter Kieboom up my ranks as well.

 

Kieboom would've been the next guy on the list for me.  I like him quite a bit...and had his name in there. I  guess we can consider him my #101.

 

There's a lot to like with Erceg, but I'm not 100% on that bandwagon yet.  Lots of potential though. He was certainly in the mix too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Coach George said:

 

I had to back McKenzie down a little because I was afraid that I let my personal; bias inflate him too far.  I LOVE McKenzie and didn't want to get too carried away, but I still wanted to give him the respect he deserves.

 

Acuna is awesome...the only question I have with him is the Ks.  Overall, there is a ton to like there.  He's got as much upside as anyone on the list.

 

I love McKenzie too, but I think it's warranted. Personally I'd put him around 12, after Allard. As for Acuna, yeah the Ks were something to watch out for, but in AA his K% is 14.8, which is far more in line with the rest of his career than his awful 31.7% at A+.

 

I believe Acuna is a Top 10 prospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's how my Top 20 working off of your Top 20 would look, I (hurriedly) think:

1.     Yoan Moncada

2.     Cody Bellinger

3.     Eloy Jimenez 

4.     Ian Happ

5.     Michael Kopech Brendan Rodgers

6.     Brendan Rodgers Amed Rosario

7.     Ahmed Rosario Victor Robles

8.     Victor Robles Rafael Devers

9.     Gleyber Torres Ronald Acuna

10. Rafael Devers Gleyber Torres

11. Kolby Allard

12. Franklin Barreto Triston McKenzie

13. Austin Meadows Michael Kopech

14. Vlad Guerrero Jr Franklin Barreto

15. Alex Reyes Vlad Guerrero Jr

16. Anderson Espinoza  Alex Reyes

17. Mickey Moniak Anderson Espinoza

18. Brent Honeywell Mitch Keller

19. Lewis Brinson Brent Honeywell

20. Lewis Brinson

21. Mitch Keller Austin Meadows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

I'm not convinced about Kopech yet and so to me 5 is a bit high. I'd personally put him in the late teens, mid-20s. Also nitpicking: I'd swap Fried and Soroka. I think Soroka will be the better pitcher.

 

Edit: to be fair, I mean that Kopech, while wildly talented and having the results to match, has yet to deserve a #5 ranking IMO.

 

I spent some time debating Soroka and Fried.  They're really close in my opinion...they could easily be flip flopped.  I think Fried has a little better stuff, but also has more health questions.

 

Kopech can be a polarizing figure, but his tremendous upside has sucked me in.  I understand that there's risk there, but if he reaches his full potential (unlikely) then he could be really special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

Here's how my Top 20 working off of your Top 20 would look, I (hurriedly) think:

1.     Yoan Moncada

2.     Cody Bellinger

3.     Eloy Jimenez 

4.     Ian Happ

5.     Michael Kopech Brendan Rodgers

6.     Brendan Rodgers Amed Rosario

7.     Ahmed Rosario Victor Robles

8.     Victor Robles Rafael Devers

9.     Gleyber Torres Ronald Acuna

10. Rafael Devers Gleyber Torres

11. Kolby Allard

12. Franklin Barreto Triston McKenzie

13. Austin Meadows Michael Kopech

14. Vlad Guerrero Jr Franklin Barreto

15. Alex Reyes Vlad Guerrero Jr

16. Anderson Espinoza  Alex Reyes

17. Mickey Moniak Anderson Espinoza

18. Brent Honeywell Mitch Keller

19. Lewis Brinson Brent Honeywell

20. Lewis Brinson

21. Mitch Keller Austin Meadows

 

We're working with the same parts...I understand why a lot of people would hesitate to put Kopech in the top 5. He's got some big questions about command, character and his ability to stick as a SP.  However, I see the guy pitch and I'm just amazed at how talented his is and what could be.  Pitching prospects are all a gamble...I'll take my chances on the guy with the best possible outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Coach George said:

 

We're working with the same parts...I understand why a lot of people would hesitate to put Kopech in the top 5. He's got some big questions about command, character and his ability to stick as a SP.  However, I see the guy pitch and I'm just amazed at how talented his is and what could be.  Pitching prospects are all a gamble...I'll take my chances on the guy with the best possible outcome.

 

Yeah there isn't much to quibble about. I think it's a matter of personal preference, especially for players like Acuna and Keller/McKenzie.

 

I think someone like Giolito falls off this list quick, though, if he can't make it as a starter anymore, which is just so bizarre to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

 

Yeah there isn't much to quibble about. I think it's a matter of personal preference, especially for players like Acuna and Keller/McKenzie.

 

I think someone like Giolito falls off this list quick, though, if he can't make it as a starter anymore, which is just so bizarre to think about.

 

Giolito still has huge upside and potential.  I could see him bouncing back at some point, but I've had enough of him.  I'll let him explode on someone else's team.

 

It's hard to put a rank on Giolito right now, but I know that I'm really frustrated with him.  Everyone says Don Cooper can fix him, but I'm really not holding my breath.  I just traded him in my dynasty league to an owner that's still holding on to the dream. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kopech seems a little high right now, but you're right about his upside, if everything comes together for him, he has really high ceiling.

Id probably rank Soto over Adames, but that's splitting hairs, for fantasy purposes you put together a good list.

 

Thanks Coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

love to see the Brendan Rodgers... love

The combination of middle infield + Coors + elite bat tool are a recipe for an awesome fantasy player. 

 

what is his ETA? Any chance the Rockies are super aggressive and he moves up a lot quicker than expected? (same question for Eloy)

 

fun to see Eloy at #3... sell us on why you love him so much. I currently have Meadows occupying my Minor League slot, but Eloy was just inexplicably dropped. open to a switch or stash. 

 

and speaking of Meadows, both rankings in this thread are significantly below his widespread ranking (top 8ish). Is that mostly because he isn't lighting tripleA on fire? I am a strong believer in Meadows, and I'm confident that in retrospect your rankings of him will prove overly conservative 

 

good stuff. enjoyed looking. 

 

EDIT: can someone give a solid player comp for Ronald Ocuna? I haven't gotten around to watching any video yet 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you're right on Allard, seems like you're awfully high on him rankings wise. I feel like all the pitchers are quite risky and I can't be too confident on any of them, especially after Giolito being a cant miss guy. I have no idea how I'd rank a top 5-10 pitchers in the minors and I'd have even more trouble fitting them in next to hitters. I might have Reyes or Honeywell #1/2 for prospect arms because of proximity and in Reyes case (some track record). Maybe Martes should be higher up too.  

 

Love the ranking on Mitchell White, but not sure it's earned yet. 

 

Love Jesus Sanchez getting major love, might be a little high but he could be this year's Acuna/Soto.  If he's available in your league and those afformentioned guys are no doubt owned, he should be owned too.

 

Justin Dunn seems like not a t100 guy.

 

Tucker to me seems like a guy who could be the #1 prospect heading into 2018. Not calling my shot or anything, but I think he has that kind of potential.

 

I agree with @bigbossman that Giminez is a guy I'd have in my top 100

 

All in all, thanks for your list and putting in the work, your opinion is very much respected here.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eloy is a thoroughbred.  He's big, fast and has all the tools to be a superstar.  He's still really young and just now coming back from injury, but I think he's going to be awesome.  I love that kid. Plus, when you take out some graduates then everyone else has to slide on up. Keep in mind that he's in the Carolina League...which definitely favors pitching and never produces big HR totals.

 

I've never been super aggressive on Meadows.  Is he a guy that does everything well or a guy that isn't really great at anything?  Does he have the arm for RF or the range for CF?  He doesn't have huge power or speed, but he does seem like a guy that's a good ball player.  I think he's like a lesser version of Andrew Benintendi.

 

Ronald Acuna comp? He's so young and talented that the sky is the limit.  He's a hard guy to comp...he's going to play elite defense.  The Ks are somewhat troublesome but he's still so young for his level.  Gun to my head, I guess the comp is Andrew McCutchen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Justin Dunn seems like not a t100 guy.

 

I was pretty high on him heading into the season, but he's certainly sucked so far in the FSL. I might be riding that preseason hype too much on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites