Updated top 100: May 15th, 2017

how close were:

cedric Mullins

Colton Welker

Branyan Hernandez

Austin Slater

Wander Javier

Daniel Brito

to the list...or what thoughts in general on any of these players ability to crack top 100 in future years?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

how close were:

cedric Mullins

Colton Welker

Branyan Hernandez

Austin Slater

Wander Javier

Daniel Brito

to the list...or what thoughts in general on any of these players ability to crack top 100 in future years?

I'm super high on Colton Welker...he could have easily made the back end of the top 100.  He's going to be in the top 100 eventually in my opinion.

Cedric Mullins is still in the emerging category.  He has some nice looking tools, but I'd like to see him put it together a little more long term before I consider him to be a top 100.

Brayan Hernandez is so young that it's hard to consider him.  It's not an age thing as much as the fact that he hasn't really done anything. Wait and see.

Austin Slater sure looks like a "just a guy" to me. His on base skills could turn into something useful at some point, but I just don't see much upside here. He's not my type.  Sorry, it's not you...it's me.

Wander Javier?  Same deal. Make it out of the Dominican Summer League and we'll talk.

Daniel Brito is fine.  I didn't really consider him for the top 100 but I keep hearing and reading good things about his skills.  He's super young and could be a guy that turns into something special.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coach George said:

Valid concerns on Allard.  His body isn't the prototype but it's not terrible either.  He will add weight and strength as he matures.  I am slightly concerned that he's had some back problems early in his career, but overall I think his future is extremely bright.

My issue with Allard is his mechanics and arm action.  I like everything else.

Just want to thank you for putting in the time to do this update and sharing your opinion. This is a great list and I love your attitude towards the exercise in that you value the discussion that it generates. This is why you're one of the most valued members of the MiLB forum community! Anyway, onto a few of my thoughts on the list and some questions.

Michael Kopech - I know you really like him, and I see the upside in him to justify that ranking which is higher than most. What is it that leads you to believe he can reach his upside?
Yadier Alvarez - Slow start to the year, but I see a guy with 4 potential above average pitches highlighted by an elite fastball. In terms of upside, how high does he rank for you among SPs in the minors and how does he compare to Kopech?
Forrest Whitley -  Small sample size but 25 Ks with just 3 BBs in 15 innings at A-ball. Big dude that seems to be able to repeat his delivery and has a chance for 4 above average pitches. Does he have a chance to move up your rankings soon?
Jesus Sanchez - One of the more aggressive rankings I've seen of him but I really like it. What sort of ceiling do you see with him? I'm not one for comparison but am I wrong in saying he could look a bit like Matt Kemp in the future?
Corey Ray - He has been coming around lately after a slow start after injury, still no HRs yet though. For one of the top college bats available last year, he seems to not always play up to the scouting reports. Do you think it's injury related recovering from the torn meniscus? Thoughts on his hit tool and power?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Interested to hear where you'd place Luis Robert now that he's signed.

Have to say that Nick Gordon not being on here, is a pretty glaring omission. Had a solid year last year, went down to the Fall league and preformed very well, and is slashing .305/.372/.488 (.859) in AA this year so far. 

On 5/15/2017 at 10:22 AM, Coach George said:

Baseball America "updated" their list. I like to be ahead of the curve on these things and I'm sure most lists won't update until midseason.  I thought I'd go ahead and throw my new list out there.  Feel free to tell me where I've got it wrong or if you happen to agree. The most valuable part of this exercise is always the discussion.

98.   Bo Bichette

Bichette is getting a lot of helium lately. Any thoughts on where he ends up at mid-season or year's end?

Good list. I agree with most of it and like that they weren't scared to move players up a LOT in some cases.

Do we think Acuna has a faster route to the majors than Eloy?

Curious if Derek Fisher and Rhys Hoskins went up on your list since your update considering the seasons they're having. I admit I had never heard of Fisher for one until he was recently called up and his numbers looked wow.

7 hours ago, tywalson said:

Good list. I agree with most of it and like that they weren't scared to move players up a LOT in some cases.

Do we think Acuna has a faster route to the majors than Eloy?

I don't think so. I think Eloy comes up first. He's been mashing at higher levels for longer than Acuna who is still very young. 

The only thing that might swing it the other way in my opinion is the aggressiveness of the parent club and room on the MLB roster/need. 

2 hours ago, 12to6 said:

I don't think so. I think Eloy comes up first. He's been mashing at higher levels for longer than Acuna who is still very young. 

The only thing that might swing it the other way in my opinion is the aggressiveness of the parent club and room on the MLB roster/need. 

Isn't Acuna in AA already though? And Eloy still in High A?

It appears that the Braves are fast tracking him more so than the Cubs are Eloy. He's also hitting .322 in AA so far.

7 hours ago, elrey said:

Thoughts on Scott Kingery?

I was a little late to his party...but he's convinced me that he's a nice prospect. He should be around #50 with the potential to move down into the top 30 with continued success.

He's pretty good. I think he could be a nice power/speed MI in roto leagues.

On 6/16/2017 at 6:04 PM, 12to6 said:

Some guys at MinorLeagueBall put out an updated 181 prospects list a few days ago. I like the way he's structured them by FV.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/6/12/15781454/top-180-prospects

I like when people do future value but the way this author does it makes no sense.  There should be future value and then risk.  Several of the guys towards the top (like an Austin Meadows type) are more of a safe bet to be very solid while guys lower may have much higher upside but tons of risk being, maybe a SP in A-ball but with amazing stuff (so far)

• Like 1