TX Babe Ruth

JuJu Smith-Schuster 2017 Season Outlook

A name like JuJu should earn him the starting role off the bat!! 

I doubt if Bryant will return and who else is going to catch passes besides Antonio Brown?

The competition for WR2 is wide open in steelernation.

Watch out for JuJu on that beat!!!

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review - Chris Adamski

Pittsburgh Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster said he wants to earn a starting role but is currently focused on learning learning the playbook and running the proper routes.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Smith-Schuster is hyper competitive and could very well be a high-volume possession receiver for the Steelers. That makes him a rookie WR to monitor closely in PPR leagues. The USC product has drawn comparisons to Anquan Boldin because of his size and ability to rip contested passes away from defenders.

Juju is going to be a nice player, but he's not going to just come in and push Bryant to the side... Bryant is way too good.

I assume you meant you doubt Bryant will return next season (2018) as he is already reinstated for 2017.

If Bryant produces & stays clean, he'll be back...

The Steelers are not going to let a high-end asset walk out the door.

Based on my reading, I expect Bryant to be just fine this season.

Fwiw, I did like the pick for Pittsburgh and think it is a great landing spot for Juju's future...

Having said that, I do not expect consistent production/fantasy relevance this season.

He fills the spot left behind by Wheaton and he will compete with Coates, Rogers, Heyward-Bey, and Hamilton.

Through this season's camp, I expect he will earn the #4 WR spot.... perhaps he'll nudge to #3, but not #2, not this season.

Edited by Winky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Winky said:

Juju is going to be a nice player, but he's not going to just come in and push Bryant to the side... Bryant is way too good.

I assume you meant you doubt Bryant will return next season (2018) as he is already reinstated for 2017.

If Bryant produces & stays clean, he'll be back...

The Steelers are not going to let a high-end asset walk out the door.

Based on my reading, I expect Bryant to be just fine this season.

Fwiw, I did like the pick for Pittsburgh and think it is a great landing spot for Juju's future...

Having said that, I do not expect consistent production/fantasy relevance this season.

He fills the spot left behind by Wheaton and he will compete with Coates, Rogers, Heyward-Bey, and Hamilton.

Through this season's camp, I expect he will earn the #4 WR spot.... perhaps he'll nudge to #3, but not #2, not this season.

I didn't know Bryant was reinstated. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

I know he was going through rough patches before his departure(dropped balls)Ben called him out for being soft. 

He's been out of football for a season,; I just don't think he returns back to his WR2 spot without competition from Juju...and the others(Coats, Rogers, Bey) were not consistent either.

It seems like WR2 is up for grabs. I could be wrong. 

The WR2 spot is Bryants to lose. Unless he relapses,  no other WR other than Brown will be of much relevance this year. That being said, I like Juju's long term outlook, but I wouldn't expect much this year.

3 hours ago, petekrum said:

The WR2 spot is Bryants to lose. Unless he relapses,  no other WR other than Brown will be of much relevance this year. That being said, I like Juju's long term outlook, but I wouldn't expect much this year.

Agreed all in all. I'm high on Bryant, hopeful on Bryant, and I plan on watching him on Sundays, praying he doesn't get into trouble after leaving the stadium. Has he learned his lesson? He's 25 now, let's hope so. But JuJu? I don't expect him to have relevance until Josh Dobbs is throwing him the ball, the 2019 season when Ben retires. Ben's going is coming.

4 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Agreed all in all. I'm high on Bryant, hopeful on Bryant, and I plan on watching him on Sundays, praying he doesn't get into trouble after leaving the stadium. Has he learned his lesson? He's 25 now, let's hope so. But JuJu? I don't expect him to have relevance until Josh Dobbs is throwing him the ball, the 2019 season when Ben retires. Ben's going is coming.

You're right. I'm guessing this is the last season for Ben. 

8 hours ago, petekrum said:

I think completely differently. I think JuJu is great. But look, Big Ben is on the heavy decline. Ben is probably going to retire soon and has already thought about it this offseason. He's getting hurt every season and there will come a point where he physically can't play football anymore. Supposedly he's not even going to practices. Once JuJu finally has the experience to become a solid WR2 for their team behind Antonio Brown, Big Ben will retire, and JuJu will not have a QB. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I have an aversion to trojan wrs.

I don't believe in unicorns. 

12 hours ago, boltup15 said:

"I think completely differently. I think JuJu is great. But look, Big Ben is on the heavy decline. Ben is probably going to retire soon and has already thought about it this offseason. He's getting hurt every season..."  

As do I, and agree that the circumstance with Rothlisberger, as well as Smith-Schuster's age, are more concerning than Bryant's presence. The narrative in those memes are so often misleading & when something new develops, seemingly out of nowhere, they simply adopt & propagate the new premise. The latest example I'm aware of pertains to CJ Anderson & Devontae Booker. A few months ago they were like; oh, Booker, yeah, we expect him to start the season well behind Anderson. It has since been reported that there's going to be a competition between the two. Colbert (GM), just prior to the draft & after Bryant's reinstatement, issued a release that was very nonchalant, like they would after blacktopping the parking lot. No personal connection, nothing heartfelt at all.

At ESPN, Yahoo & CBS, Smith-Schuster is way back there, likely a wire guy. I don't prefer him over Tyler Boyd, who is also back there, but if JuJu sees a lot of work with the 1st unit throughout the preseason, look out for this guy.  

Edited by markrc99

13 hours ago, boltup15 said:

I think completely differently. I think JuJu is great. But look, Big Ben is on the heavy decline. Ben is probably going to retire soon and has already thought about it this offseason. He's getting hurt every season and there will come a point where he physically can't play football anymore. Supposedly he's not even going to practices. Once JuJu finally has the experience to become a solid WR2 for their team behind Antonio Brown, Big Ben will retire, and JuJu will not have a QB. 

19 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

At ESPN, Yahoo & CBS, Smith-Schuster is way back there, likely a wire guy. I don't prefer him over Tyler Boyd, who is also back there, but if JuJu sees a lot of work with the 1st unit throughout the preseason, look out for this guy.  

It's deja vu all over again. Sammie Coates, Marcus Wheaton, Eli Rogers. This year the name is JuJu. I agree with petekrum (below), that Bryant will be relevant, and if Bryant relapses into stupidity than only ABrown will be relevant (and Bell, of course). Bryant's talent is leaps and bounds above these other WRs, and although I like JuJu he won't have a presence until the offense changes significantly (i.e. Ben retires). 

From the brief flashes we saw last year of Ladarius Green (underutilized do to concussion + head issues), I wonder if a healthy LGreen will be the one taking targets away from Heyward-Bey, Coates, JuJu.

21 hours ago, petekrum said:

Not enough balls to go around for JuJu.  If Bryant does something stupid, then JuJu becomes fantasy relevant.  If Bryant stays on the straight and narrow and Green is healthy, then JuJu is sitting behind Brown/Bell/Bryant/Green for touches.  Lets not sleep on Eli Rogers having something to say also as he could really put JuJu behind the 8 ball.

1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

"It's deja vu all over again. ... This year the name is JuJu. ... Bryant's talent is leaps and bounds above these other WRs, and although I like JuJu he won't have a presence until the offense changes significantly (i.e. Ben retires). "

Could be, but they went with Smith-Schuster for the QB they have now, not the guy who will be there tomorrow. At Clemson, Bryant didn't run a full route tree & does he do that now for the Steelers? He's at his best outside the numbers, going vertical & winning what's contested. While he certainly has the length advantage, JuJu, the more physical. They drafted him to do the same thing. He's still very young, but I think they're going to commit to him & do everything they can to get him up to speed. Could be wrong but I think he sees the field a lot.     

Edited by markrc99

^^^^I couldn't agree more and the reason I started this thread...

I don't see how a suspended Bryant is leaps and bounds over JuJu, especially Bryant being out a full season and was dropping balls the prior season.

He was called out for being soft by his QB. Reports in camp, is they are impressed with JuJu and he's focused on the playbook and going for the starter role.

It's wide open WR2 in my humble opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

^^^^I couldn't agree more and the reason I started this thread...

I don't see how a suspended Bryant is leaps and bounds over JuJu, especially Bryant being out a full season and was dropping balls the prior season.

He was called out for being soft by his QB. Reports in camp, is they are impressed with JuJu and he's focused on the playbook and going for the starter role.

It's wide open WR2 in my humble opinion. 

Its not. Bryant is the number two.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, petekrum said:

OK Mike Tomlin....

Edited by J.T. Marlin

10 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

OK Mike Tomlin....

If if you can't see it I can't help you.

2 hours ago, petekrum said:

It's an arrogant take, but a correct one. Bryant has the most natural ability and upside of any WR on the roster not named Brown. If he keeps his head on straight it's his job to lose. 

And I gotta believe Roethlisberger is going to keep playing for another 3-4 years. The offensive line is starting to gel, they are trying to surround him with more weapons and the defense is on the rise. They are positioned to be a perennial SB contender for the next several years. I don't think Ben is just going to walk away from this situation on a whim.

7 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

It's an arrogant take, but a correct one. Bryant has the most natural ability and upside of any WR on the roster not named Brown. If he keeps his head on straight it's his job to lose. 

And I gotta believe Roethlisberger is going to keep playing for another 3-4 years. The offensive line is starting to gel, they are trying to surround him with more weapons and the defense is on the rise. They are positioned to be a perennial SB contender for the next several years. I don't think Ben is just going to walk away from this situation on a whim.

I wouldnt even say it's arrogant, it's just common sense.

3 hours ago, petekrum said:

I wouldnt even say it's arrogant, it's just common sense.

It is arrogant. Bryant hasn't even been fully reinstated yet. Nonzero chance he's not reinstated fully before week 1. Where PIT drafted Juju doesn't lie. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

"It is arrogant. Bryant hasn't even been fully reinstated yet. Nonzero chance he's not reinstated fully before week 1. Where PIT drafted Juju doesn't lie." 

He will be, he just needs to show that he's in a support group in the Pittsburgh area. But you're right, they're often said to be deep at WR and they take a guy as early as they did and while Juju uses his elite upper body strength, he wins the same way. Bryant has that length and the ability to climb over people. There are certainly some offenses, but the Steelers aren't one of them. They're among those that are in multi-WR sets much of the time. The thing with Smith-Schuster though is his age, but it looks like while Bryant will have every chance to redeem himself, this kid is someone they're going to try to establish as well.   

Edited by markrc99

As I've said, short of a relapse or not being reinstated, he is their WR2. Nothing else to see here.

Source: Steelers.com - Teresa Varley

Pittsburgh Steelers second-round draft choice WR JuJu Smith-Schuster signed his four-year contract with the Steelers Wednesday, May 17. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Smith-Schuster may be the favorite to win the Steelers no.3 job at wide receiver (with Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant at no.1 and no.2 of course). The rookie from USC reminds some in the scouting community of Anquan Boldin because of his size, strength at the catch point and his run-after-the-catch ability. He'll compete with Sammie Coates for the third spot on the depth chart.

23 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Source: Steelers.com - Teresa Varley

Pittsburgh Steelers second-round draft choice WR JuJu Smith-Schuster signed his four-year contract with the Steelers Wednesday, May 17. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Smith-Schuster may be the favorite to win the Steelers no.3 job at wide receiver (with Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant at no.1 and no.2 of course). The rookie from USC reminds some in the scouting community of Anquan Boldin because of his size, strength at the catch point and his run-after-the-catch ability. He'll compete with Sammie Coates for the third spot on the depth chart.

Exactly. 

They are going to find a spot for JuJu in that offense. His hands are too good to be watching on the sidelines.

Source: ESPN.com - Jeremy Fowler

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie WR JuJu Smith-Schuster has the size and ability to serve as a successful slot receiver if that's where the Steelers want him to play, in the opinion of ESPN.com's Jeremy Fowler.