Carlos Correa

Bradley Zimmer 2017 Outlook

86 posts in this topic

As a Tribe fan I wish for his success, but this guy is basically a Chris Carter/Joey Gallo without the power or walks and more speed.  He has more Ks than games played at nearly every step in his progression through the farm, never really showing any signs of improvement.  Now it's bizarro season this year so I suspect he will come up and hit 300+ like all the rest of these knuckleheads with no plate discipline, but I'm not buying.  I have enough flavor of the week albatrosses in my lineup already.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, arthurpete said:

Stole 38 in AAA last year

Is the speed legit? O/U on 30 ROS in the bigs?

You have to  bake in the fact that he's probably going to struggle for a while getting on base like most rookies with high K rates do and he'll probably be hitting at the bottom of the order. In other words he's not going to have as many opportunities as he did in AAA. Not to mention catchers are better at this level. Joc Pederson was a 30 SB guy in the minors too.  I'd set the over under at 15 ROS.

Edited by fletch44
1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

You have to  bake in the fact that he's probably going to struggle for a while getting on base like most rookies with high K rates do and he'll probably be hitting at the bottom of the order. In other words he's not going to have as many opportunities as he did in AAA. Not to mention catchers are better at this level. Joc Pederson was a 30 SB guy in the minors too.  I'd set the over under at 15 ROS.

but but bellinger...

he had a comparable AAA K%. I agree though, more often than not rooks struggle.

These calls ups should always be grab now ask questions later . Hope lighting in a bottle and then sell him high . I've done this with Bellinger , Happ and now Zimmer .  Like other poster said could just keep guys like Gardner on your bench or grab Zimmer and hope he hits . Then sell the guy . 

Eh...Zimmer isn't even on the same tier as pure hitting ability as Bellinger.  Good odds he'll have a rough first taste to MLB pitching. Get demoted and possible come back in august or something for a 2nd chance for owners.  I'm not gonna overreact in shallow leauges (I.e. spend a bunch of FAAB/cut a decent player to fit him in etc etc)

I get the power speed allure though

I want to be optimistic and there is good potential, but that K% in the minors is alarming.

2016 AA - 28.3%

2016 AAA - 37.3%

2017 AAA - 29.9%

1 person likes this

Ok so I understand the alarm at his K%. 

But Goldy has succeeded for years with a high K rate, right? At one point it was around 33%?

Is that possible to replicate?

A big thing I look for in prospects are their willingness and ability to make adjustments. Bradley seems to have done that in AAA, so I remain optimistic even though his debut could look as bad as Judge's last year. 

Honestly, there's more and more guys with high K rates who succeed in the majors every year. The game is changing a bit. 

I'd be cautiously optimistic, but it would be negligent to not hang onto to Zimmer for a little while to see how he adjusts coming up.

2 hours ago, terminator10 said:

For those super optimists:

He has reworked his mechanics this year and changed his swing. This is documented. Started the year slow, but now seems to be really picking it up:

Stats: (since 5/07) 33 PA, .407/.515/.704, 2 HR, 3 SB,

Maybe, just maybe this is what the Indians looked into closely and think this new trend is for real. Could be a 20/30 guy with a .270 BA producing in a good spot in a strong lineup.  Overall, this gives us 90/20/90/30/.270 type player :D

Hey, the stats Lindor put up were also what a super optimist would have said....so its possible...

So, he's basically Wil Myers/Ian Desmond?

So weird Cleveland was keeping that in AAA.  

1 person likes this

2ups 2 Ks. I guess that's why Jake Odorizzi doesn't pitch in AAA...

Never seen him play but not wasting a move or spot with this strikeout record.  I don't see him as the next Bellinger.  I could be wrong.

LOL yeah he's never done anything but struck out in the bigs.

1 person likes this

I'll give him a game or two to adjust to big league pitching.  The talent is there.

Hey, where are my instant results!?!!

11 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Hey, where are my instant results!?!!

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that the Rays pitchers have 6 Ks so far and half of those are from Zimmer's hat trick.

Instant results are one thing. Looking totally overmatched is another.

Edited by Fiveohnine

3 hours ago, countseth said:

Ok so I understand the alarm at his K%. 

But Goldy has succeeded for years with a high K rate, right? At one point it was around 33%?

Is that possible to replicate?

Goldy's career worst was 29.9%, and that was as a rookie in 2011. Since then the highest it's been is 23.0%. Zimmer's is substantially worse than Goldy's, and that's not even accounting for the fact that Zimmer's is in the minors.

There are examples of high K rate success. Goldy just isn't one of them (K rate is manageable)

1 person likes this

Either of these guys could have struck out 3 times today.

Image result for bradley zimmer

Image result for ben stiller

Edited by Fiveohnine
2 people like this

Leading the league in K% with a .000 ISO. Worst player in baseball history?

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Leading the league in K% with a .000 ISO. Worst player in baseball history?

Indeed

4 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Either of these guys could have struck out 3 times today.

Image result for bradley zimmer

Image result for ben stiller

Why does he have that Lonzo ball face...

1 person likes this

Fellow redraft owners- is he really worth a roster spot? Barring injury he won't sniff the top of the order, and that K rate looks like a real concern 

Personally, I would be much more interested in folks breaking down the swing changes Zimmer made in the AFL and spring this year (when either as a result of the change or just correlated with the change, his numbers took a leap in AAA), rather than posting which celebrity or other baseball player he looks like.

I've read many references to the swing changes, but I haven't managed to find a piece that sums them all up -- exactly what he did and why it's going to make him more successful now (and unfortunately I'm not very good at analyzing swing mechanics myself).  A lot of the prospect reports on Zimmer are based on what he had done prior to this year, but we've seen swing changes make a major, major difference for other players -- ones with arguably much less raw talent than Zimmer.

Does anyone have any information on that they could add to the thread?  That would be highly interesting.

2 people like this