Sign in to follow this  
Stutin

Eric Sogard 2017 Outlook

Recommended Posts

anyone have any insight on this guy?

 

The unstoppable Eric Sogard went 4-for-4 with two doubles Tuesday in leading the Brewers to a 6-2 win over the Padres.

 

Advice: Sure, it was great to see Cody Bellinger and Ian Happ come up and make an impact right away, but neither can match what Sogard has done; the former #FaceofMLB runnerup (we still say MLB rigged it for David Wright) is 6-for-10 with two homers, two doubles and a steal in three games. At this point, it's hard to say whether .400 or 70 HR is more likely. Maybe he'll just make a run at both.

(Rotoworld.com)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Beakman said:

Does he still wear those dorky glasses?

 

Who ya calling dorky brah!

1600755.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copying from the GDT ...

 

Can someone please explain to me WTF is going on with Eric Sogard?  30-YO utility IF called up by the Brewers when Braun hit the DL.  He's 4-4 again today. 

 

He's 10/17 since being called up.  He's made starts at SS, 2B, and 3B.  He's got 2 HRs and 3 doubles.  He's walked 3 times and has yet to strike out.  He's attempted 2 SBs (cause it's Milwaukee), and has successfully stolen 1.

 

Is this another swing change revolution guy?  I have to ask, cause what he's doing looks nothing like the rest of his career. He hit .283/.400/.435 in ST, took an assignment to AAA, and smoked a .330 AVG with 3 bombs and a .421 OBP there. 

 

He was hitting leadoff today ... and that's a pretty strong Brewers lineup. Maybe he doesn't find a spot to play long term once Shaw is fully healthy and Braun is back, but it's not like Arcia or Villar are killing it. Very, very crowded situation, but as hot as he is right now -- may be worth riding the lightning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is swing plane revelation the new roids are back excuse?  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a statcast search for xWOBA where .320 is average player and Sogards super small sample is resulting in a .485 xWBO so he is doing something different that is pleasing the exit velocity and launch angle gods at statcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's 5'9/180/ The white Mookie Betts?

Edited by pbjfb
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangraph's writeup of Sogard from pre-2016

 

"I guess if Harry Potter can't hit at a big league level, what hope do the rest of us have? If you want one home run per year from your middle infielder to go with maybe 10 steals, then Sogard is the player for you! For the rest of us, feel free to avoid him and his #NerdPower."

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this on the internet about Sogard.  Writen poetically by some baseball guy who calls himself Neil Diamond.

 

Where it began

I can't begin to knowin'  

But then I know it's growing strong. 

 

Was in the spring (training)
And spring became the summer
Who'd have believed you'd come along.

Hands, touchin' hands
Reachin' out, touchin' me, touchin' you

Sweet Caroline
Good times never seemed Sogard! Sogard! Sogard!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 At this point, it's hard to say whether .400 or 70 HR is more likely. Maybe he'll just make a run at both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so presumably the chemical engineer isn't going to magically blossum into the next Mike Trout at age 30. But it got me thinking, is there any precedent for someone busting on the scene at an older age, out of no where in a sustained kind of way? I'm sure there is but I'm kinda drunk and having trouble thinking of some good examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Bautista, Donaldson

 

Well that should have been more obvious. Maybe not to this extent but still. He doesn't rock the rec specs but Donaldson does braid his hair I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Ok so presumably the chemical engineer isn't going to magically blossum into the next Mike Trout at age 30. But it got me thinking, is there any precedent for someone busting on the scene at an older age, out of no where in a sustained kind of way? I'm sure there is but I'm kinda drunk and having trouble thinking of some good examples.

 

Well Eric Thames is the first to come to mind, but never got consistent playing time in the majors he had this weird had the layoff in Korea where he remade himself.

 

Bautista might be the best example of a guy who got real playing time and was real mediocre for a long time before his breakout, and he was 29 when it occurred which is not that much younger than Sogard.

 

Donaldson and JD Martinez were only 27 and 26 at their breakouts, and hadn't spent as much time being terrible in the majors as Sogard.  All 4 of these guys though you could argue always had power and/or looked like they had power and had just failed to tap into until the breakout.  Sogard is like 3-6 inches shorter than all of those guys and doesn't really look or project to have power anywhere near those guys though, but he's a middle infielder so I have no idea why we'd expect that.

 

V-Mart had been a good .300/20 hitter in his past, but at age 35 went ape and had that 2014 league-winning type season where by midseason I think he had hit more dingers than he had struck out.

 

Daniel Murphy might be the best comp as an infielder, age 31 breakout, but he's still way bigger than Sogard, and had least been a league-average hitter for many years whereas Sogard has been an awful hitter.

 

Sogard has never struck out much, but right now he's got an epicly low 14% O-swing and I think he still has yet to whiff on a single pitch this season. He's already matched his career high in home runs, with two.  I don't really know where this is all going but my guess is that he got a new pair of glasses and it's given him laser K-zone vision.

Edited by Thwerve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Ok so presumably the chemical engineer isn't going to magically blossum into the next Mike Trout at age 30. But it got me thinking, is there any precedent for someone busting on the scene at an older age, out of no where in a sustained kind of way? I'm sure there is but I'm kinda drunk and having trouble thinking of some good examples.

 

David Ortiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Thwerve said:

 

Well Eric Thames is the first to come to mind, but never got consistent playing time in the majors he had this weird had the layoff in Korea where he remade himself.

 

Bautista might be the best example of a guy who got real playing time and was real mediocre for a long time before his breakout, and he was 29 when it occurred which is not that much younger than Sogard.

 

Donaldson and JD Martinez were only 27 and 26 at their breakouts, and hadn't spent as much time being terrible in the majors as Sogard.  All 4 of these guys though you could argue always had power and/or looked like they had power and had just failed to tap into until the breakout.  Sogard is like 3-6 inches shorter than all of those guys and doesn't really look or project to have power anywhere near those guys though, but he's a middle infielder so I have no idea why we'd expect that.

 

V-Mart had been a good .300/20 hitter in his past, but at age 35 went ape and had that 2014 league-winning type season where by midseason I think he had hit more dingers than he had struck out.

 

Daniel Murphy might be the best comp as an infielder, age 31 breakout, but he's still way bigger than Sogard, and had least been a league-average hitter for many years whereas Sogard has been an awful hitter.

 

Sogard has never struck out much, but right now he's got an epicly low 14% O-swing and I think he still has yet to whiff on a single pitch this season. He's already matched his career high in home runs, with two.  I don't really know where this is all going but my guess is that he got a new pair of glasses and it's given him laser K-zone vision.

 

Good list. Still you nailed it, there are some guys who turned it on late, but they at least had some signs they might have power and we're at least "mediocre". Sogard hasn't had an OBP over 300 in the minors other than his first year in the league and one other year and has only ever hit 2 HRs in a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

 

David Ortiz

 

I wouldn't say Ortiz busted out of nowhere at an older age. Yes, he became a star at age 27 in Boston, but in his age 25-26 seasons, he had 38 HR in 715 AB. There was some inkling that he was capable of his 2003 season. 

 

The name I would throw out there would be Edgar Martinez. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a bit of digging on Sogard, and what's interesting is that not only has Sogard not struck out yet, he hasn't even swung and missed at a pitch yet. He's also averaging about 4.28 pitches per plate appearance, which is about 0.7 pitches above his career average, so his approach seems to be improved. He's hitting a ton of ground balls, which tells me he's due for a bit of regression, but if his LD% stabilizes, it could counteract that since he has alot more hard hit balls. Total small sample size alert, but anytime a guy goes 29 plate appearances without even taking a swinging strike, that's definitely flier material.

 

The best comp that I came up with player wise would be David Eckstein. Similar batted ball profile, had some speed and a little power that popped up from time to time, low swinging strike rate and decent walk rate, and of course he was 5'7". If Sogard gets enough playing time and can perform like Eckstein did during his Angels days, I'd say that's pretty serviceable for a guy who could be eligible all across the diamond.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 BB's yesterday. 2 for 2 today. I in my entire life of following baseball have never seen anything like this after such a large sample of garbage OPS's in Oakland. 13 K's / 2 BB. I never thought I would ever comment in this guys thread. Villar won't be batting leadoff any time soon with the way Sogard has been.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mexi1024 said:

3 BB's yesterday. 2 for 2 today. I in my entire life of following baseball have never seen anything like this after such a large sample of garbage OPS's in Oakland. 13 K's / 2 BB. I never thought I would ever comment in this guys thread. Villar won't be batting leadoff any time soon with the way Sogard has been.

 

Opposite of that -- 13 BBs to 2 Ks. 

 

He's rocking an OBP of .566 after another 2/4 day today.  That brings his line to .410/.566/.667.

 

His primary competitors in the MI are slashing .251/.293/.368 and .213/.284/.322.  At some point, Sogard is going to get an everyday gig until he cools off.  The Brewers are trying to win games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

 

Opposite of that -- 13 BBs to 2 Ks. 

 

He's rocking an OBP of .566 after another 2/4 day today.  That brings his line to .410/.566/.667.

 

His primary competitors in the MI are slashing .251/.293/.368 and .213/.284/.322.  At some point, Sogard is going to get an everyday gig until he cools off.  The Brewers are trying to win games.

My bad. I meant 13 BB / 2 K's. How incredible is that haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just grabbed him and I'm gonna play him when ever he starts over Lemiehu (slumping) .. If he keeps hitting in very limited opps, he'll get a regular job at some point. Counsel and the Brew Crew fittin to give the Cubs all they can handle all summer long. 

 

- A die hard Cubs fan, section 140 for life 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mexi1024 said:

3 BB's yesterday. 2 for 2 today. I in my entire life of following baseball have never seen anything like this after such a large sample of garbage OPS's in Oakland. 13 K's / 2 BB. I never thought I would ever comment in this guys thread. Villar won't be batting leadoff any time soon with the way Sogard has been.

 

 

He's David Newhaning! For those that don't remember the name, Newhan was a career minor leaguer who basically parlayed one hot month in 2004 into several more seasons in a utility role. He was pretty much crap after that 30-40 day stretch, but Newhan's not complaining

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this