Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12to6

Zac Gallen - SP STL

Just came across this guy - another STL pitching prospect who's putting up some really gaudy numbers in High A. He skipped Low-A after pitching really well in the Rookie league last year.

Through 52IP this year, he's got a 1.47ERA, 1HRA, 0.93 WHIP and a 10.67 K/9 and 1.67 BB/9

I don't, however, know anything about what he throws or how hard. Here's a blurb from milb.com:

A third-round pick out of the University of North Carolina last year, Gallen is best known for his control, and he's exhibited that by walking only 4.3 percent of the batters he's faced. That helps explain why his 1.80 ERA is bettered by a 1.71 FIP that trails only Vladimir Gutierrez's 1.50 in the FSL. As a college pitcher with three above-average pitches in his fastball, cutter and changeup, Gallen always had a chance to thrive at the lower levels before settling in at the back end of higher rotations, but an opening stretch like this shouldn't be discounted.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/prospect-roundup-games-of-may-10-featuring-ronald-acuna-tyler-eppler-taylor-clarke/c-229627462/t-185364810

A more recent piece talking about his ability to adapt:

Zac Gallen picked up something in the first inning of his start on Wednesday.  

"We kind of noticed early that they might've been sitting on my cutter," he said. "So I was just trying to get ahead with the fastball instead. It seemed like they were taking the first pitches, so I just tried to establish that and go from there."

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/st-louis-cardinals-prospect-zac-gallen-fires-eight-shutout-innings/c-230843442/t-185364810

Anyone know more?

I'm a die-hard Tar Heel. Gallen along with jb Bukauskas have been my favorite pitchers these last 3 years. I was waiting until someone started a thread on him. He fits the class mold of the type of college pitchers the Cardinals target. An advanced command and control pitcher with an advanced changeup. Following a long line of others with those same attributes as Marco Gonzales, Luke Weaver, Michael Wacha, etc. Now even tho Gallens changeup isn't anything close to as advanced as wachas, weavers and Gonzales. Those 3 had double plus changeups when they were drafted out of college. But what makes Gallen in that same mold is his Ability to mix his 4 pitch mix very effectively making his changeup and cutter that much more effective. Now at UNC Gallen thru a cutter along with a slider to go with his low to mid 90s FB and above average changeup (he also threw a curveball but had a hard time throwing it for strikes). But I believe I read somewhere that he does not throw a slider now but I find that hard to believe. If anything, he should scrap his curveball. 

Now I want to see how Gallen does in the upper levels of the minors. He is too advanced for HiA especially to be pitching in a pitcher friendly league. But another area id like to see improvements is with his groundball percentage. Gallen is showing a high strikeout rate right now because he's too advanced for these hitters. But I don't expect Gallen to be a high strikeout pitcher in the majors. His bread and butter is relying on his double plus command and control, throwing strikes, mixing pitches, hitting corners. And at the moment he can strike guys out with ease. And he isn't a horrible groundball pitcher, but once he goes up against more advanced hitters, he will have to rely on groundballs much more then strikeouts. I'm not saying he will be a below average strikeout pitcher at all. Actually I believe when he's in his prime and has experience pitching in the majors, he'll atleast average a k per 9. I'm a high on Zac Gallen. I'm just as high on him as I am on Eric Lauer. Besides one being a lefty and one being a righty. Gallen and Lauer are 2 exact pitchers in their style. And I look forward to seeing them pitch in the majors.

44 minutes ago, JakeSarna said:

I'm a die-hard Tar Heel. Gallen along with jb Bukauskas have been my favorite pitchers these last 3 years. I was waiting until someone started a thread on him. He fits the class mold of the type of college pitchers the Cardinals target. An advanced command and control pitcher with an advanced changeup. Following a long line of others with those same attributes as Marco Gonzales, Luke Weaver, Michael Wacha, etc. Now even tho Gallens changeup isn't anything close to as advanced as wachas, weavers and Gonzales. Those 3 had double plus changeups when they were drafted out of college. But what makes Gallen in that same mold is his Ability to mix his 4 pitch mix very effectively making his changeup and cutter that much more effective. Now at UNC Gallen thru a cutter along with a slider to go with his low to mid 90s FB and above average changeup (he also threw a curveball but had a hard time throwing it for strikes). But I believe I read somewhere that he does not throw a slider now but I find that hard to believe. If anything, he should scrap his curveball. 

Now I want to see how Gallen does in the upper levels of the minors. He is too advanced for HiA especially to be pitching in a pitcher friendly league. But another area id like to see improvements is with his groundball percentage. Gallen is showing a high strikeout rate right now because he's too advanced for these hitters. But I don't expect Gallen to be a high strikeout pitcher in the majors. His bread and butter is relying on his double plus command and control, throwing strikes, mixing pitches, hitting corners. And at the moment he can strike guys out with ease. And he isn't a horrible groundball pitcher, but once he goes up against more advanced hitters, he will have to rely on groundballs much more then strikeouts. I'm not saying he will be a below average strikeout pitcher at all. Actually I believe when he's in his prime and has experience pitching in the majors, he'll atleast average a k per 9. I'm a high on Zac Gallen. I'm just as high on him as I am on Eric Lauer. Besides one being a lefty and one being a righty. Gallen and Lauer are 2 exact pitchers in their style. And I look forward to seeing them pitch in the majors.

This is terrific. Thanks for your info! Looks like he did scrap the slider and curve, according to the milb article, since he's throwing FB, Cutter, Change.

1 hour ago, 12to6 said:

He just got promoted to AAA.

Is it an actual promotion or was it a spot start Or two filling in for a starter? I thought I read that it wasn't an actual promotion (but I'm not certain of that), but I've seen those spot start promotion end up sticking a lot of times. Anyways, Gallen is perfectly suited for AAA with his advanced C&C. And the Cardinals are notorious for moving their pitching prospects very very aggressively once they get to AA. I'm a big fan of Gallen

A nice start in AAA: 6IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB, 8Ks

I wonder if he's going to stay in AAA. Any chance of a callup to the bigs this season?

46 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

A nice start in AAA: 6IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB, 8Ks

I wonder if he's going to stay in AAA. Any chance of a callup to the bigs this season?

Too hard to tell right now since Marco Gonzales, Luke Weaver and Jack Flaherty are basically ahead on the totem pole. With Marco already having a spot start (and not exactly killing it in AAA), Weaver should be next. Also there is the injury factor. Plus the Cardinals tend to do late season Callups (before rosters expand) to shore up their bullpen and have a tendency to sometimes bring up their starters and temp put them in the bullpen. The Cardinals are unpredictable in this area, which is a good thing...

Last start at AAA:

7IP 1H 0BB 6K. Looks like this guy will be a contributor this year, the latest being when rosters expand.