fawkes_mulder

Luis Robert - OF - CHW

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Source?

Yeah, as someone looking to stash, I'd like a source as well. I didn't hear that and I'm out of Chicago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nlm said:

Yeah, as someone looking to stash, I'd like a source as well. I didn't hear that and I'm out of Chicago.

I haven’t heard anything either. People seem to like to talk out of their asses in these threads when it comes to these things. People in the Tatis thread were saying there was no way he’d break camp with the team. People in the Yordan thread were saying he was blocked by Tyler White and wouldn’t be up this year. People in the Hiura thread were saying he was blocked as well. I’m listening to my gut and am stashing La Pantera.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I haven’t heard anything either. People seem to like to talk out of their asses in these threads when it comes to these things. People in the Tatis thread were saying there was no way he’d break camp with the team. People in the Yordan thread were saying he was blocked by Tyler White and wouldn’t be up this year. People in the Hiura thread were saying he was blocked as well. I’m listening to my gut and am stashing La Pantera.

All I could find:

Rick Hahn (GM of WhiteSox) says that Luis Robert’s major league debut likely won’t happen until 2020 - The Athletic

Then when I click on it, I get this and I am not signed up.
https://theathletic.com/1082674/2019/07/17/rick-hahn-endorses-eloy-jimenezs-long-term-future-in-left-field-provides-updates-on-prospects/

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And this:
https://sportsmockery.com/2019/07/jose-abreu-seems-to-be-pissed-off-at-the-white-sox-front-office/

• Hahn said Luis Robert’s major-league debut likely won’t happen until 2020, despite the young star announcing his arrival to Triple A with a .440/.500/.960 batting line and three homers in six games.
“It’s been six games, so let’s keep a little perspective,” Hahn said. “I’m fine with the calls getting greater or the excitement getting greater to see another potential premium piece here at the big-league level. I hope he keeps this roll going. It’s probably unrealistic to hope he rolls like this all the way through Triple A.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I guess that's as close to a source as there is. I dunno what to make of it. I've seen rookies pay dividends for my team (Yordan and Bichette) as well as others' in my leagues. Stashing Robert seems so tempting, but the risk really does concern me. After Eloy, even Cease, the way they manipulate the clock...I don't know now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ramox15 said:

I understand that we must take into account what happened last year with Eloy, the situation is very similar. Leaving the fantasy context and thinking about money, there is no reason to get Luis Robert on the team and lose a year of control, the whitesox are out of competition.

There are several key differences. The window of contention is going to open next year for the Sox. With Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Cease, and a boatload of money to throw at the top free agent starters (Cole, Madbum, etc) and a solid core of position players the Sox are going to be in position to compete next year. There’s no way they can disappoint their players and fan base by sending Roberts back to AAA to start next year. It would be absurd. He’s also already banked $26 million from the signing bonus so he won’t be pressured into signing a contract. The best course of action, imo, is to bring him up in a couple weeks so he can spend the next 6 weeks or so getting acclimated to major league pitching and have him be ready to go as their opening day centerfielder. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, meh2 said:

There are several key differences. The window of contention is going to open next year for the Sox. With Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Cease, and a boatload of money to throw at the top free agent starters (Cole, Madbum, etc) and a solid core of position players the Sox are going to be in position to compete next year. There’s no way they can disappoint their players and fan base by sending Roberts back to AAA to start next year. It would be absurd. He’s also already banked $26 million from the signing bonus so he won’t be pressured into signing a contract. The best course of action, imo, is to bring him up in a couple weeks so he can spend the next 6 weeks or so getting acclimated to major league pitching and have him be ready to go as their opening day centerfielder. 

Let's just hope.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, meh2 said:

Source?

I gave you all the information you'd need to look it up yourself.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Shallow bench but still stashing him.... Killing me, but the day I drop him, he'll get the call... C'mon Sox...

• Like 2

Weird little side story, as scorching hot as he has been through the minors apparently whenever Keith Law goes to scout him in person he either gets scratched or goes hitless.  From a previous article he wrote:

I've been trying to see Chicago White Sox outfield prospect Luis Robert (No. 54 overall) take an actual game at-bat for more than a year now, dating back to spring training 2018, when he hurt his wrist the day after I arrived in Arizona (while I was watching Shohei Ohtani). That was the first of four separate times I was somewhere he was supposed to be but he didn't play due to injuries. The good news is I finally did get to see him play, on Tuesday night at Wilmington's Frawley Stadium, home of the Kansas City Royals' High-A affiliate. The bad news is that he went 0-for-5 as a DH and got the day off Wednesday, so I have yet to see him play the field, get a hit or even reach base.

And now...

• Like 1

Ok, so with the assumption he will not be called up, where does he go in redraft next year? 

On 8/12/2019 at 12:20 PM, Fenrir said:

Ok, so with the assumption he will not be called up, where does he go in redraft next year? 

Somewhere in the 75-100 range, methinks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Somewhere in the 75-100 range, methinks.

See Acuna, Ronald...

You think he will be there in round 7-10 until a sharp snatches him mid 4'th. 

Nightly highlights reels become sad... you silently cry down deep, wondering why your BFF/ Man-crush is on another team? The pain remains night after night, year after year. Baseball Tonight becomes unwatchable, you lose interest in pretty much anything non-Harry Potter related. The Schwan's guy comes by just to check on you, offers freebies so you will answer the door. 

3 years from now, you commish a free public fantasy bowling league and host a weekly viewing of The Big Lebowski... 

Don't do it, don't go there! Draft Robert before round 5, and watch your leaguemates cringe! Don't efff this up!!! 

1 hour ago, LarryChip10 said:

See Acuna, Ronald...

You think he will be there in round 7-10 until a sharp snatches him mid 4'th. 

Nightly highlights reels become sad... you silently cry down deep, wondering why your BFF/ Man-crush is on another team? The pain remains night after night, year after year. Baseball Tonight becomes unwatchable, you lose interest in pretty much anything non-Harry Potter related. The Schwan's guy comes by just to check on you, offers freebies so you will answer the door. 

3 years from now, you commish a free public fantasy bowling league and host a weekly viewing of The Big Lebowski... 

Don't do it, don't go there! Draft Robert before round 5, and watch your leaguemates cringe! Don't efff this up!!! 

I own Robert but I think his downside is much lower than Acuna's simply due to the BB/K issues.  His upside is pretty damn high though but not sure it's in the Acuna stratosphere (ie challenging Mike Trout).  That's no slight towards him though because we are still looking at a guy who could go 30 homers/40 steals.  As I say it I am starting to get an Alfonso Soriano vibe going here...

75 would be around halfway between Vladdy and Eloy's ADP this year (38 and 108), the two most touted rookies coming into this season, both of whom have not come close to living up to expectations. The volatility of rookies makes it tough to invest a 4/5 pick on a guy who will have to learn on the fly to lay off +breaking stuff every night. Robert has less hype than Vlad, but is a more well rounded offensive player than Eloy, so it feels fair to slot him there. Obviously if he has a monstrous spring the hype machine will propel him above 70. Potential 30-30 guys don't grow on trees. Realistically though, I think he'll have a season close to what we expected FTJ to do this year. .240-20-30, lots of ups and downs.

I do love that he's gone full-blown Junior Griffey in CF, though. So much fun to watch.

• Like 1

He is hot again 2-4 with a double and a homer tonite. However Charlotte is a game out of the wild card so he prolly won't be up this year unless they miss the playoffs. 

yes he hit 2 HRs but the second was off Dionner Navarro yes the catcher. Odd that a team in the 8th inning of a 7-2 game would have a position player pitch but hey I ain't the coach.

Haven't seen the official distance on this one but if I had to guess I'd say 4014 feet. 

• Like 1

My oh my the sound of that bat. He also hit one just as far that was foul. Charlotte is currently trotting out a lineup better than the White Sox big league club 😂

• Like 1

Left the park for the third straight game.  I guess this guy is so good it doesn't even warrant a bump until midmorning.  Really wish they would start his clock this season in September, but I think we see a delayed call up next year similar to Vlad Jr. this year.