fawkes_mulder

Luis Robert - OF - CHW

20 minutes ago, neph27 said:

Keith law really threw a bucket of ice water on the hype in his article about Robert

That tends to be what Law does, though he's often right

Luis Robert had one heck of a dominating slash line in the Cuban National Series at 19.  OPSed 1.213 over 53 games.  I honestly think there's a strong possibility that his bat is better than Moncada's. 

On 5/24/2017 at 10:25 PM, neph27 said:

Keith law really threw a bucket of ice water on the hype in his article about Robert

Law gave a good reminder of the other side and the risk of it not working out.

Then you have Mayo saying this:

Top 100 List:

As for the Top 100 Prospects list, I'm tempted to give a "wait and find out" response. But I'm feeling generous. Robert is at No. 1 on the international list, just one spot ahead of Kevin Maitan, who signed with the Braves last summer. Atlanta's 17-year-old infielder is ranked No. 27 on that list, so you should look for Robert tucked in just ahead of Maitan when the signing becomes official.

If he was in this year's draft:

There is little question he would be at or near the top of our 2017 Draft list should he have been eligible for this year's Draft. Robert has considerable tools, particularly his plus bat speed and power potential. It's obviously impossible to know if he'd go No. 1 overall, but it's probably not a far leap to make to say he'd be in the conversation.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/232360220/pipeline-inbox-2017-mlb-draft-luis-robert/

3 hours ago, GJDHouse said:

Does his signing mean he will be added to the yahoo database?

Typically Yahoo only adds newly signed players in the following off-season unless that player makes his MLB debut during the same season (and then the player gets added to waivers the night the player makes his debut).

2 hours ago, Dark One said:

Typically Yahoo only adds newly signed players in the following off-season unless that player makes his MLB debut during the same season (and then the player gets added to waivers the night the player makes his debut).

Yea, off-season or when a player is added to a teams 40 man roster. (I've contacted Yahoo support about these things in the past ?)

4 hours ago, nodnarbnap said:

Yea, off-season or when a player is added to a teams 40 man roster. (I've contacted Yahoo support about these things in the past ?)

But they have added players mid-seasons sometimes in the past.  I recall Moncada was added in season.  They receive their database -- as does ESPN and the other platforms -- from a third party database contractor so it depends on them I guess.

Also you and others contacting them on this stuff puts some pressure on them to change.  Baseball has changed and fantasy baseball platforms have to change with it.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But they have added players mid-seasons sometimes in the past.  I recall Moncada was added in season.

Yeah, that was a very rare exception to the rule.

As a White Sox fan this is awesome.  And from what I hear his last name is pronounced Robber as in a bank robber.  Go figure lol

On 2017-05-28 at 9:58 AM, Dylanfan66 said:

As a White Sox fan this is awesome.  And from what I hear his last name is pronounced Robber as in a bank robber.  Go figure lol

It's actually more like Row Bear, but you roll the Rs.

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

It's actually more like Row Bear, but you roll the Rs.

Well I just listened to sports talk radio and the GM called him "Robber" but the expert before him called him Robert as in Gobert.  Jesus you would think they could get this straight by now.

10 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Well I just listened to sports talk radio and the GM called him "Robber" but the expert before him called him Robert as in Gobert.  Jesus you would think they could get this straight by now.

Ya it definitely rhymes with Gobert as in Rudy Gobert. 

I heard on Chicago radio he will start in the Dominican Summer League .... I was surprised when I heard that as I figured he was a little too advanced for The DSL at this point.  

5 hours ago, FouLLine said:

I heard on Chicago radio he will start in the Dominican Summer League .... I was surprised when I heard that as I figured he was a little too advanced for The DSL at this point.  

Apparently he has played no baseball since last July so they want to start him there to get into baseball shape.

On 5/30/2017 at 3:07 PM, Dylanfan66 said:

Apparently he has played no baseball since last July so they want to start him there to get into baseball shape.

Yeah I'd imagine he'll be stateside within a couple weeks or so.  From what he was doing in The Cuban league I have to think his bat is far beyond The DSL.

3 hours ago, Byebyebalboni said:

1st game back last night, after month from knee injury.

2-3 HR, 2 RBI, BB, SB

going to be a fun watch.

Very encouraging ... I honestly thought he'd be a little further advanced than he currently is.  I'm hoping they promote him stateside before the season is over so we can see what he can do against some better competition. 

3 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Very encouraging ... I honestly thought he'd be a little further advanced than he currently is.  I'm hoping they promote him stateside before the season is over so we can see what he can do against some better competition. 

Heard message board rumors that he's there to stay for the rest of the year in the DSL. Talk that him and the White Sox agreed to this so that his signing bonus is not taxed in the US for 2017.

Not sure how true this is, but makes sense on the surface.

6 hours ago, Light Tower Power said:

Heard message board rumors that he's there to stay for the rest of the year in the DSL. Talk that him and the White Sox agreed to this so that his signing bonus is not taxed in the US for 2017.

Not sure how true this is, but makes sense on the surface.

Yeah that does make sense ... Plus it'll just probably give him more time to brush up on English.  Sad cause the DSL competition is a good step below state side rookie ball.

What are we predicting his majors ETA will be?  Minor league progression in all of 2018, so 2019 chance to make the big club?

I just wish Yahoo would add him now.   I check daily...I want to grab him before anyone else.

On 8/9/2017 at 7:02 AM, monkeydad said:

What are we predicting his majors ETA will be?  Minor league progression in all of 2018, so 2019 chance to make the big club?

I just wish Yahoo would add him now.   I check daily...I want to grab him before anyone else.

I'd say 15 % 2019, 40 % chance 2020, 30% chance 2021, 15% 2022-never

• Like 1