fawkes_mulder

Luis Robert - OF - CHW

10 minutes ago, abachar said:

Saw that too, that has to be a typo, right? 

Personally, I like the idea of that being the intended sentiment:

"He's a legitimate five-tool talent and could climb three levels this year but meh..."

6 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Where is the scouting report you referred to about being MLB ready? I listen to a number of podcasts for guys that actually scout these guys and Robert was discussed often. His free swinging tendencies and inability to translate power into game situations were well known coming into the year. He's obviously corrected the later... and the former is showing some progress. He will never likely be a truly discerning hitter, but the aggression can work for many hitters.

As far as top 5, definitely close on fantasy lists. Adell's injury obviously helps boost Robert's relative stock.

We must not listen to the same pods or read the same publications I guess. It’s definitely something I remember hearing, that his tools could play at the major-league level the moment he got off the island. He was definitely not raw like a Moncada who couldn’t touch a breaking ball with a paddle when he was signed And needed a lot of refinement.

The main reason the power did not translate for Robert was probably the hand injuries. It’s not like he’s put on 30 pounds of muscle or changed his launch angle. He’s essentially the same player he was two years ago, just healthy. 

As far as him not being discerning, the aggression was a result of being a major league caliber player stuck in rookie ball and then high A and wanting to get out. When the guy pitching to you is one step above a pitching machine and you’re one of the most talented hitters on the planet, you’re going to swing at everything because even those pitches outside of the zone look hittable coming at you. Luis Robert had absolutely no intention of getting on base via the walk in high A, and why would he? Results speak for themselves. It was ultimately a better baseball decision to swing at everything rather than potentially work the count to get a free base. I actually think he’ll have better walk and k rates in AA and AAA and he did in his month at Winston-Salem.

5 hours ago, abachar said:

Saw that too, that has to be a typo, right?

Hey man, we gotta be safe around here... Running causes injuries

hitting .235 with 0 homers in 9 games since being promoted... a true test apparently.

K:BB ratio still intact at 6:5 however

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnR said:

hitting .235 with 0 homers in 9 games since being promoted... a true test apparently.

See Vlad Jr.

first AA homer today BAVG 250 hopefully a good streak follows

On 5/12/2019 at 7:38 AM, JohnR said:

Ah, nothing beats a good reverse jinx. 

I am more concerned with the K/BB ratio than anything.  Birmingham is a tough place to hit.  If he can hit in the .250 - .290 range with good walk numbers that will be a success in my opinion.  

1-2 already today BAVG 250. another CS though

.300 avg. decent k rate. 2 homers and 5 steals. Better start than I expected. 

Overall in 125 Abs between A+ Winston Salem and AA Birmingham. 392 BAVG, 10 Hrs, 13 SB not too shabby

AA will be his toughest test so if he can maintain an OPS around 900 with a k rate below 25% I'd consider him absolutely MLB ready. So far so good.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 6:05 PM, sleepysock said:

AA will be his toughest test so if he can maintain an OPS around 900 with a k rate below 25% I'd consider him absolutely MLB ready. So far so good.

How long does he have to prove it till it's deemed that he is ready?

15 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

My guess is on or around April 18, 2020.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/21/2019 at 4:30 AM, Dark Kn19ht said:

11 hours ago, oswald737 said:

My guess is on or around April 18, 2020.

My guess is on or around this time next year.  Hopefully he gets promoted to Triple A sometime later this summer and be on track for that kind of call up next year.  This year?  In baseball anything is possible but what would be the point for the White Sox to promote him??   Would love to see it though...

On 5/21/2019 at 6:15 PM, knuckleheads said:

My guess is on or around this time next year.  Hopefully he gets promoted to Triple A sometime later this summer and be on track for that kind of call up next year.  This year?  In baseball anything is possible but what would be the point for the White Sox to promote him??   Would love to see it though...

They'd have to remain within 3-4 games of the WC by the time the trade deadline rolls around. If they do I think they make a few deals and bring up Cease, Robert, Burdi and Collins to try and make a postseason run. JR is one of those old as dirt  owners who is, yes, a businessman, but also a fan and I don't think he'll be able to keep his hands to himself if there's a chance they can grab the WC2.

But that's a big IF. This is a bad team and I imagine Boston will eventually create some real distance and then the Robert wait officially extends into 2020.

La Pantera has to separate himself in AA if he wants the callup this year.  He is playing pretty well, but he isn't forcing anyone's hand at this point.  It takes something special to make the leap from A ball to the Majors in 1 year. 

2-5 today triple and a single. 2 RBI 1Run BAVG ,309

On 5/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, GJDHouse said:

La Pantera has to separate himself in AA if he wants the callup this year.  He is playing pretty well, but he isn't forcing anyone's hand at this point.  It takes something special to make the leap from A ball to the Majors in 1 year. 

There is absolutely no need for a call-up this season. Sox are a few years away still.

18 hours ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

There is absolutely no need for a call-up this season. Sox are a few years away still.

Which is why I stated he would have to do something special. White Sox have no intrinsic motivation to start his clock. 

Most likely he is a 2020 call. 

• Like 2

Interesting note of his time in AA thus far.  While the home run power has been a bit scarce (2 homers in 26 games), he has been crushing doubles.  In fact in a 162 game projection based upon his first 26 games, he hit 75 doubles (and also steal 50 bases).  With the difficult hitting environment in BHam, and reality that at his next promotion (either AAA or MLB) he will be able to hit a compressed ball, Robert is playing VERY well.  His fans/fantasy owners have to be pretty excited about what they have seen considering the tough year he had last year.

• Like 1

Smoking hot right now. 3-4 triple and 2 singles 1 R 1 RBI .327 BAVG

I will admit to being surprised at his .327 and strong OPS start to the AA season.   I thought he would struggle more than this. 

another big day today. 4-7 in a doubleheader. BAVG up to 339. another SB and double also.

2-2 tonite with a SB, BAVG .350 if u add in his HI-A BAVG with his AA avg it comes out to PDH (pretty damn high)