Sign in to follow this  
cltubbs

Ryan Mountcastle - SS BAL

#4 prospect for the Orioles per MLB.com, 2015 1st round pick. At Class A advanced this year, he's batting .328 with 8 HR, 32 RBI, 7 BB, 32 SO in 180 ABs. 

50 hit & 50 power tools, main issue has been arm strength but the Orioles seem intent on making him their SS of the future. Recent reports on him seem to imply some defensive improvement and potential fast track to the majors as soon as next year, though 2019 is more likely.

He seems like he could be a top 10 SS prospect next year, especially if he keeps these stats up IMO. Thoughts?

Edited by cltubbs
Title misspelled
  • Like 1

He must have been reading these forums before tonight's game and got excited because he's 4 for 4 with 3 HR. 

• Like 1

No chance of sticking at SS as he has a well below average arm, but 2B is something we can all hope on. Regardless, the way he's hitting that bat will play anywhere

3/5 tonight and just a triple shy of the cycle including HR #12. I'm going to be shocked if he's not a consensus top 100 come the midseason updates. I'd like to see him get promoted to AA pretty soon.

1 hour ago, LarrysBraves26 said:

This dude is an animal. AA by the end of the season at a minimum. 

They really need to  move him to 2B or LF now so he gets plenty of reps. The way he's hitting he may be up in June of next year.

by RotoWire Staff
(1 hr ago) Mountcastle was called up to Double-A Bowie on Thursday, Steve Melewski of MASN Sports reports.

Mountcastle will make his first start with Bowie at third base against Altoona on Thursday. The 20-year-old was hitting .314/.343/.542 with 15 home runs and 47 RBI during 88 games with High-A Frederick upon his promotion. Mountcastle will get a chance to see how he stacks up at the next level, with a spotlight on his K:BB that was sitting at 61:14 during his time with Frederick. The top prospect will need to improve on those numbers in order to continue his progression for the Orioles.

• Like 3

I just stashed him in a Dynasty League as well and heard his name in a few podcasts as of late. Only concern is the fact the Orioles haven't devloped much talent as of late outside of Machado

When Machado is gone, does this guy get brought up or not until next year so they could keep him longer? Does he even play SS anymore?

Funny, I was just going to comment on this thread yesterday. Surprisingly little discussion about this kid, especially with Machado on his way out of Baltimore.

.316/.366/.509, riding a 12-game hitting streak (17-52, .327), is 34-96 (.354) over his last 22 games, and has chipped in 8 HR (.193 ISO). Not sure what else he has left to prove at AA. Perhaps a promotion to AAA after the Futures Game?

17 hours ago, LoGo said:

Funny, I was just going to comment on this thread yesterday. Surprisingly little discussion about this kid, especially with Machado on his way out of Baltimore.

.316/.366/.509, riding a 12-game hitting streak (17-52, .327), is 34-96 (.354) over his last 22 games, and has chipped in 8 HR (.193 ISO). Not sure what else he has left to prove at AA. Perhaps a promotion to AAA after the Futures Game?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-future-ryan-mountcastle-20180710-story.html#

Not trying to be a dark cloud but Machado leaving has little to do with Mountcastle. This article is from yesterday. It basically states his glovework is a big obstacle to his callup. It also gives reasons why they can't play him anywhere else in the field. I suspect if he does get the call, it won't be until Sept. Besides third, he's also been DHing at Bowie a little, so that should tell you something about his D. Apart from all that, Buck Showalter can't stand bad defense.

As far as AAA goes, it is possible he gets promoted, but the O's have used Norfolk more as a station for shuttling depth pieces back and forth when needed for the ML roster in the recent past. If he doesn't get promoted to Norfolk means nothing in what they think of him. But if he does get promoted, I'd be very, very interested.

56 minutes ago, MireLurker said:

Dude, I had to log in to the site for the first time in years just to make this post - The Orioles have willingly assembled by far the worst defensive team in the league.

Links:

Team Stats

Individual Orioles Stats

I didn't know it was the manager's job to sign people to stupid contracts. Besides not switching Beckham and Machado this season, tell me what Showalter could have done to make the team better defensively than what they are now. Thanks for the links but just because the O's are bad defensively doesn't mean Showalter likes it.

IMO, I doubt they move Beckham back to short just to call up Mountcastle because they can just call up Sardinas or Tejada from Norfolk to play SS ROS or until Sept, which they've done multiple times in the past. Or play whoever they get back in the Machado trade which is also a possibility. If they get bold, a callup could be in the works, but I just don't see it they way his glove currently is at 3rd. What would be the point in calling him up if the glove isn't ready? It's not like they're fighting for a playoff spot. He's been improving lately, but everything I'm hearing out of Bowie is that it's still not ML ready.

Certainly the manager has some say in the team that's assembled for him.. and Sho should be gone after this season anyway, if anyone high up has any sense. They need a whole new regime in town to signal a complete reset.

At this point of futility, it strictly becomes a financial issue to hold prospects down IMO. From a development standpoint, who cares if their prospects are learning defense in the minors or in the majors, when wins and losses have no meaning. I'd say that's the most likely thing holding him back - management's attitude about squeezing another year of control out of their prospects.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobby Blue said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-future-ryan-mountcastle-20180710-story.html#

Not trying to be a dark cloud but Machado leaving has little to do with Mountcastle. This article is from yesterday. It basically states his glovework is a big obstacle to his callup. It also gives reasons why they can't play him anywhere else in the field. I suspect if he does get the call, it won't be until Sept. Besides third, he's also been DHing at Bowie a little, so that should tell you something about his D. Apart from all that, Buck Showalter can't stand bad defense.

As far as AAA goes, it is possible he gets promoted, but the O's have used Norfolk more as a station for shuttling depth pieces back and forth when needed for the ML roster in the recent past. If he doesn't get promoted to Norfolk means nothing in what they think of him. But if he does get promoted, I'd be very, very interested.

The Machado comment wasn't meant to imply Mountcastle getting a call to the Show, but rather AAA guy filling MM's spot and leaving an opening for a possible Mountcastle promotion to AAA.

21 hours ago, MireLurker said:

Certainly the manager has some say in the team that's assembled for him.. and Sho should be gone after this season anyway, if anyone high up has any sense. They need a whole new regime in town to signal a complete reset.

At this point of futility, it strictly becomes a financial issue to hold prospects down IMO. From a development standpoint, who cares if their prospects are learning defense in the minors or in the majors, when wins and losses have no meaning. I'd say that's the most likely thing holding him back - management's attitude about squeezing another year of control out of their prospects.

Of course Showalter has some say in player acquisition. But to imply he doesn't care about D because they have the worst D in the league is ridiculous. Him not staying or new regime or whatever you said is totally beside the point. No, he doesn't get a pass on the defensive crapfest out there, but he still can't stand bad D, which is what  prompted you to log in after years just to quote me, like some kind of troll.

Re Mountcastle, every time someone thinks a prospect should get called up and then doesn't is a conspiracy theory to gain more control. Many times that's what it is. But maybe sometimes the player's D really does suck balls at a brand new position and they think he could learn more in the minors. You think it's a service time issue. Yeah, I get that, but you're speculating. I'm going by what people who are actually watching him play are saying about his glove.

Either way, we'll see after Machado's traded what they do with him, if anything. If they do call him up and play him at 3rd before Sept, I would be surprised, no doubt.

BTW, Mountcastle went 2-5 yesterday, with a clutch 9th inning, 2 out, go ahead, 2 rbi double. There's a link to the video, I didn't want to embed it because this is freaking long enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEZpWKCVcsw