Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hypeiz4real

Mike Soroka - ATL SP

Old thread got archived, I didn't see a current one. Guy's definitely worth bringing back up.  Pitching real well in AA. 

19 years old in AA - 48.2 IP, 2.96 ERA, 14BB, 51K

While Allard has been getting a lot of love, I think Soroka's pitched just as well.  I lean Soroka with the bigger frame. 

Really excited to own this guy in a dynasty. Has the look of a future workhorse. 

his line since my initial post May 30....

28 IP, 3 ER, 2 BB, 18K

Hasn't given up an ER in his past 22 IP.  Again, kid is 19 in AA, 6'5, 225.  Expect to see a big jump in the prospect rankings, his overall stock should go up with it.

Erik (Portland): Braves' future ACE is . . . Kolby Allard or Mike Soroka?
J.J. Cooper: Kyle Wright? Luiz Gohara? Ian Anderson? If I have to pick between Allard and Soroka, I’d say Allard because I’ll take the lefty, but both are very good prospects.

Rhett (NC): I know he is 19 and only has 76 innings above Low A. But what more does Mike Soroka need to show before he is called up? I think Soroka is letting the Braves know he is ready.
J.J. Cooper: Consider his age, I’d like to see how he handles the older/craftier hitters in Triple-A before he gets promoted. The Braves aren’t really in a hurry yet and there are a number of arms in Triple-A that need a chance (like Sean Newcomb) before they need to start checking out the Double-A arms. No reason to put him on the 40-man roster and start his clock yet.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-june-16-a/#yhwfsk8gfCXyPgAI.99

Last two starts:

14 IP, 6H, 2ER, 0BB, 18K

he could be the best pitcher in the minors soon

any chance he comes up when the braves trade garcia to the twins? or will it be one of the other pitching prospects?

3 minutes ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

any chance he comes up when the braves trade garcia to the twins? or will it be one of the other pitching prospects?

I'm curious to see if anyone thinks he could get a shot at some point. I'm not sure I see the braves calling him up especially since they have some good arms in they're system right now who would probably get a shot first. He doesn't turn 20 until august so he is a little young but on the other hand so is acuna and he may get a chance at some point. 

4 hours ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

Like I posted in the Sims thread when this question was mentioned there ... Rotoworld said Aaron Blair was scratched right before his start tonight and that the speculation was he might be called up as a result.

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Like I posted in the Sims thread when this question was mentioned there ... Rotoworld said Aaron Blair was scratched right before his start tonight and that the speculation was he might be called up as a result.

i understand that blair might be called up to start if garcia is dealt but will that just be a temporary fix until they can get one of the prospects ready to go and if so which prospect will get the call 1st?

I saw him in AA locally a couple times last year.

Nothing about him wowed me, but he is built like a horse. I see a high floor (#3/#4 in rotation inning eater SP) with chance at being something more.

Haven't seen him pitch, but from what people say he seems like a Kyle Hendricks type. Might not ever wow you with stuff, but gets the job done. 

Seen him pitch a few times. Hendricks is an ok comp, but could also end up a little better (Nola, Grienke) if he can continue to improve the breaking stuff and change.

AAA debut vs Norfolk: 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K

60 pitches/42 strikes

2nd AAA Start vs Rochester: 5.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 8 K

78 pitches/55 strikes.

1 hour ago, moeron22 said:

2nd AAA Start vs Rochester: 5.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 8 K

78 pitches/55 strikes.

He is going to be a stud

On 4/4/2018 at 1:08 PM, desert86 said:

Haven't seen him pitch, but from what people say he seems like a Kyle Hendricks type. Might not ever wow you with stuff, but gets the job done. 

I am utterly obsessed with Kyle Hendricks, but I think Soroka has considerably higher upside. 

I can see him topping out as a superior version of Jose Quintana. 

Anyone following him care to make any guesses about his value this year in redrafts assuming he gets the call in the next week or two? Steamer projects him with a 7.31k/9 and 4.36ERA which is pretty meh. Are we thinking he might be a top 100sp, top 60sp this year?

He's spiked the Ks this year (and was starting to make that transition last year).  Soroka has tremendous control (always has), but adding Ks on top of that could make him very special.

1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I just went back and listened to this interview with the SiriusXM app ... that quote might have been taking a bit out of context.

My attempt at a transcript:

Mish: Alex, going into the season we know there's a ton of young pitching getting ready to come up at some point for you guys and compete for a job in this rotation.  Going into the spring, I was very interested in the performance of Sean Newcomb and seeing how Julio Teheran was bouncing back after the season he had last year.  I gotta tell you, Alex, there's a lot to be excited about - to be optimistic about - especially after Teheran's last start.  And, it looks like Newcomb is ready to turn the corner as well.  Do you see things the same way?

Anthopoulos: Yeah, there's no doubt.  I mean, Julio's opening day start was solid.  The following start was not good, and then the last few have been outstanding.  ... Newcomb obviously the same way.  The stuff is outstanding.  We've really tried to emphasize using his change up a little bit more.  We think it's an outstanding pitch.  The curve has always been great.  The fastball is outstanding.  But the change up, we feel there's a little bit more upside there.  Guys like Mike Foltynewicz, who's always had outstanding stuff, we're certainly looking to get more out of him.  So far, he's off to a nice start. Brandon McCarthy has done a good job, and Anibal Sanchez has done a good job as well.  Beyond those two, Luiz Gohara is on his way back.  He had a rehab outing last night where he did not throw well, but we all know the upside and the stuff he brings.  And then Mike Soroka we think is very very close.  Max Fried is throwing today, and he's been throwing the ball well.  And Kolby Allard as well.  So those guys, in terms of front-burner guys, are certainly going to be in that mix.  Matt Wisler is the one other guy who's thrown the ball well down there.  Again, I can't say enough about the work that's been done here.  These are all guys that I inherited coming in, and that's a credit to the scouting, player development department, the GMs that have been here prior to have this kind of talent here.

So, it wasn't an unsolicited, we think Soroka is coming to Atlanta soon.

With Gohara on the brink of coming back where does Soroka fit in the rotation? Doesn't seem like there is an opening to call him up to be in the rotation.

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

I just went back and listened to this interview with the SiriusXM app ... that quote might have been taking a bit out of context.

My attempt at a transcript:

Mish: Alex, going into the season we know there's a ton of young pitching getting ready to come up at some point for you guys and compete for a job in this rotation.  Going into the spring, I was very interested in the performance of Sean Newcomb and seeing how Julio Teheran was bouncing back after the season he had last year.  I gotta tell you, Alex, there's a lot to be excited about - to be optimistic about - especially after Teheran's last start.  And, it looks like Newcomb is ready to turn the corner as well.  Do you see things the same way?

Anthopoulos: Yeah, there's no doubt.  I mean, Julio's opening day start was solid.  The following start was not good, and then the last few have been outstanding.  ... Newcomb obviously the same way.  The stuff is outstanding.  We've really tried to emphasize using his change up a little bit more.  We think it's an outstanding pitch.  The curve has always been great.  The fastball is outstanding.  But the change up, we feel there's a little bit more upside there.  Guys like Mike Foltynewicz, who's always had outstanding stuff, we're certainly looking to get more out of him.  So far, he's off to a nice start. Brandon McCarthy has done a good job, and Anibal Sanchez has done a good job as well.  Beyond those two, Luiz Gohara is on his way back.  He had a rehab outing last night where he did not throw well, but we all know the upside and the stuff he brings.  And then Mike Soroka we think is very very close.  Max Fried is throwing today, and he's been throwing the ball well.  And Kolby Allard as well.  So those guys, in terms of front-burner guys, are certainly going to be in that mix.  Matt Wisler is the one other guy who's thrown the ball well down there.  Again, I can't say enough about the work that's been done here.  These are all guys that I inherited coming in, and that's a credit to the scouting, player development department, the GMs that have been here prior to have this kind of talent here.

So, it wasn't an unsolicited, we think Soroka is coming to Atlanta soon.

Thanks for clarifying.