hypeiz4real

Mike Soroka - ATL SP

How does the outlook change from that above quote now that Anibal Sanchez hurt himself. Worth an add?

Newcomb can start tomorrow in Anibal’s place on regular rest. Soroka won’t be ready to go until Sunday, but I think he’s next up. 

Posted (edited)

AAA stats look great so far.  BB numbers have always looked good, but the K/9 wasn't entirely impressive in AA.  I know little about him other than what I've read, but is there a reason for the improvement this year?  I'm obviously interested if he gets the call but seems like the projections for him are a bit all over the place outside of "good floor".

Edited by Baur10

2 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Newcomb can start tomorrow in Anibal’s place on regular rest. Soroka won’t be ready to go until Sunday, but I think he’s next up. 

You mean up sunday to start?

1 hour ago, cornerback said:

You mean up sunday to start?

No I mean that’s his next turn through the rotation since Soroka pitched last night. 

The postponement in Chicago allows them to throw Newcomb tomorrow on 5 days rest, but they’ll need a new starter on Friday. Soroka can’t take that start, and it’s too early to be pushing guys up on short rest. 

I’m guessing here:

Thursday - Newcomb

Friday - TBD

Saturday - Teheran 

Sunday - Folty/Soroka

Monday - McCarthy/Soroka 

Tuesday - Newcomb/Soroka

You get the idea. If Atlanta is serious about Soroka being ready (and he sure looks ready), letting him start Monday on the road might be a good option at Cinci. Maybe he and Acuña come up for the same game?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

No I mean that’s his next turn through the rotation since Soroka pitched last night. 

The postponement in Chicago allows them to throw Newcomb tomorrow on 5 days rest, but they’ll need a new starter on Friday. Soroka can’t take that start, and it’s too early to be pushing guys up on short rest. 

I’m guessing here:

Thursday - Newcomb

Friday - TBD

Saturday - Teheran 

Sunday - Folty/Soroka

Monday - McCarthy/Soroka 

Tuesday - Newcomb/Soroka

You get the idea. If Atlanta is serious about Soroka being ready (and he sure looks ready), letting him start Monday on the road might be a good option at Cinci. Maybe he and Acuña come up for the same game?

That makes me want to get tickets, and I'm not even a Braves fan. I can only imagine what their fans are thinking. 

As much as many of us, myself included, would like to see Soroka get the call here,  it appears like Lucas Sims will initially take Anibal's spot in the rotation, at least for today's turn.  Wha Whaaa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F@ndemonium said:

As much as many of us, myself included, would like to see Soroka get the call here,  it appears like Lucas Sims will initially take Anibal's spot in the rotation, at least for today's turn.  Wha Whaaa

That's not surprising at all.  They either needed a spot starter for today or tomorrow, so they chose Sims today.  

Newcomb on Friday.  Teheran on Saturday.  At some point next week they've got to decide who's taking the spot for a while.  Gohara is probably another 3 weeks away.

Given Wisler pitching well, do we still think Sorka gets a shot in the next few days? 

5 hours ago, thefamily79 said:

Given Wisler pitching well, do we still think Sorka gets a shot in the next few days? 

I think Wisler gets another start based on his performance last night, but I don't have much confidence in him going forward. I think we will see Soroka soon but not in the next few days.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lassetjus said:

I think Wisler gets another start based on his performance last night, but I don't have much confidence in him going forward. I think we will see Soroka soon but not in the next few days.

Here is confirmation of my guess above:

Wisler will stay in #Braves rotation to make at least one more start, Snitker said

2 replies6 retweets40 likes

The tricky part here is Gohara’s return. Gohara is probably ready after 3 more starts in the minors, one coming this weekend. If the Braves think Wisler can fake it for a few weeks as the fifth starter, then they just hand the keys to Gohara and continue letting Soroka develop. 

Soroka’s outlook for a SP slot in Atlanta is basically dependent on an injury or McCarthy just completely falling apart. No way they can justify the switch now with the way McCarthy is throwing. 

Soroka might be “very, very close” in terms of being ready to get big league hitters out, but the Braves aren’t likely going to a 6-man rotation just to get him up, and I’m not sure where the spot comes from barring injury. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't see him being promoted anytime soon.  I picked him up briefly when somebody on here mentioned him, but dropped him after realizing that a call-up is nowhere near imminent even if the GM made it seem like it was.  I agree with whatever I read today that he won't get called up until there is an opening for him to be called up and stay for good.

Still, he's somebody I'll try to remember to keep an eye on, and maybe even pick back up again if my NA slot ever opens up.

Posted (edited)

love soroka! reminds me of the type of pitchers they had in the 90s-if he stays healthy hes gonna be a stud for them. soroka and wentz are my 2 favorite pitching prospects in their loaded system-and I like allard but was afraid of his injury history-but soroka is the man in the making

Edited by My Roy Williams Tramp Stam

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, My Roy Williams Tramp Stam said:

love soroka! reminds me of the type of pitchers they had in the 90s-if he stays healthy hes gonna be a stud for them. soroka and wentz are my 2 favorite pitching prospects in their loaded system-and I like allard but was afraid of his injury history-but soroka is the man in the making

I like Wentz a lot too. think he's flying under the radar a bit.

I'd probably rank them:

1. Soroka

2. Wright 

3. Gohara

4a. Anderson

4b. Wentz

Honestly though, you could jumble up 2-4b in any order and I wouldn't have an issue with it. They are all appealing in their own way. For instance I could see Gohara becoming the defacto ace of the group - or fizzling out an becoming an 8th inning guy. Just a ton of talent and makeup here. 

I'm way lower on Allard than most. The more I see of Soroka, the more I like him. Where he lacks in sheer overpowering "oomph", he makes up for it with sink, movement, command, and wicked smahts. In a way he's the opposite of Gohara, who is a straight up warthog who overpowers with pure, unadulterated filth.  I like Anderson a lot. I see him as the Braves version of Matt Manning, if that makes sense.   Jeez and then there is Touki and Bryse Wilson and Muller - who would be a well-known guy in a more average system.  Not to mention A.J. "Billy Wagner" Minter.  Good God, Lemon. 

Edited by RotoBird

Looking forward to his start today.  Hopefully he does well again and gets the call up into the majors soon.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TekilaAF said:

Looking forward to his start today.  Hopefully he does well again and gets the call up into the majors soon.  

Watching it in person right now. My amateur scouting report of what I’ve seen so far: fastball is sitting 90-92. He can reach back for 93-94 at times. Works down in the zone with a lot of sink and generates a lot of ground balls. Change up sitting 78-82 with lots of movement as well. Haven’t seen him use it to righties yet. Slider is sitting 85-87 and getting swings and misses from righties. Got bailed out by a surprisingly spry Joey Bats at third turning an impressive double play. Looks polished and ready for the show.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2