TX Babe Ruth

Jonathan Williams 2017 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

If you draft Shady, I would definitely take out an insurance policy and draft his handcuff in later rounds.

Source: The Buffalo News - Jay Skurski

Buffalo Bills RB Jonathan Williams is primed to take over the Bills' backup running back job -- a position vacated by New England Patriots RB Mike Gillislee. Williams isn't getting ahead of himself, though, approaching this offseason one day at a time. Williams missed a lot of time with a foot injury during his senior year at Arkansas. That injury lingered into his first season with the Bills last year, but Williams said he is fully healthy, leaner and excited to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

If you draft Shady, I would definitely take out an insurance policy and draft his handcuff in later rounds.

Source: The Buffalo News - Jay Skurski

Buffalo Bills RB Jonathan Williams is primed to take over the Bills' backup running back job -- a position vacated by New England Patriots RB Mike Gillislee. Williams isn't getting ahead of himself, though, approaching this offseason one day at a time. Williams missed a lot of time with a foot injury during his senior year at Arkansas. That injury lingered into his first season with the Bills last year, but Williams said he is fully healthy, leaner and excited to play.

 

Most underrated handcuff in the league. Shady hasn't had 2 consecutive elite seasons since 2010 and 2011. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's definitely worth a roster spot with or without Shady in your lineup.

 

I remember he was in trouble last season for a DWI, I believe. I know there is a 2-game suspension for that, but does anyone know if he already served it? I tried googling it but not much came up - other than he may serve one for this (2017) season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coper3000 said:

He's definitely worth a roster spot with or without Shady in your lineup.

 

I remember he was in trouble last season for a DWI, I believe. I know there is a 2-game suspension for that, but does anyone know if he already served it? I tried googling it but not much came up - other than he may serve one for this (2017) season. 

 

Great point...I forgot about that. Good candidate to serve a 2-game suspension to start the season (like ASJ will). Still like him as a great cuff. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually a little more biased now than I was earlier, but holding Jonathan Williams and drafting him is a waste. There might be someone else on the roster that ends up splitting carries with Williams or ends up being better. He did get a DUI, so maybe he's not training/practicing as much as some of the other RB's on the roster. The idea that Williams is a pure handcuff might not be the most accurate. I think there are better options available that you can take a chance on than Williams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2017 at 10:28 AM, boltup15 said:

I'm actually a little more biased now than I was earlier, but holding Jonathan Williams and drafting him is a waste. There might be someone else on the roster that ends up splitting carries with Williams or ends up being better. He did get a DUI, so maybe he's not training/practicing as much as some of the other RB's on the roster. The idea that Williams is a pure handcuff might not be the most accurate. I think there are better options available that you can take a chance on than Williams. 

 

In the late rounds, who else are you looking at?  I compare Jonathan Williams with Deandre Washington, Devontae Booker, Marlon Mack, and Joe Williams (yuck).  Washington would be a no brainer if it wasn't for Richard with that strong offensive line and aging Lynch ahead of him.  Mack is a confusing prospect and I won't be touching any RB on the 49ers this year.  

 

Williams isn't the greatest athlete (https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jonathan-williams/) but I think he has the clearest shot at a lead role if the incumbent goes down injured.  I love Shady but he's definitely due for an injury soon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 1, 2017 at 1:28 PM, boltup15 said:

I'm actually a little more biased now than I was earlier, but holding Jonathan Williams and drafting him is a waste. There might be someone else on the roster that ends up splitting carries with Williams or ends up being better. He did get a DUI, so maybe he's not training/practicing as much as some of the other RB's on the roster. The idea that Williams is a pure handcuff might not be the most accurate. I think there are better options available that you can take a chance on than Williams. 

 

I agree. I don't want a guy that's only dependent on a major injury to be valuable. So many better options that will contribute independently. Similar to McFadden. Pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BUF led the league in rushing attempts last year and both Karlos Williams in 2015 and Mike Gilislee in 2016 ended up being weekly flex options with huge TD upside as the season progressed. I have not seen enough of Williams to know if his usage will be similar, but it may end up being the case and it makes Williams worth a slight reach in the back end of the draft. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PackersFan1979 said:

BUF led the league in rushing attempts last year and both Karlos Williams in 2015 and Mike Gilislee in 2016 ended up being weekly flex options with huge TD upside as the season progressed. I have not seen enough of Williams to know if his usage will be similar, but it may end up being the case and it makes Williams worth a slight reach in the back end of the draft. 

 

On 7/19/2017 at 5:54 PM, Ravensdan said:

 

I agree. I don't want a guy that's only dependent on a major injury to be valuable. So many better options that will contribute independently. Similar to McFadden. Pass. 

 

Gillislee had 110 touches, 623 yards, 8 vultured TDs. I expect this to be Jonathan Williams' floor, though I'd venture to guess an increase in touches: Shady has only played three 16-game seasons in his eight-year NFL tenure, and his sitting out a game or two seems probable. Though I prefer the talent of James Conner as a cuff (Henry of course, Kamara, Ivory even --- the list is too long), Jonathan Williams is an ok back in a great backup situation. Contrast this to Derek Henry, a supreme talent in a not-so-great situation, whose numbers mirrored the Bills' #2 last year: 123 touches, 627 yards, 5 TDs. As long as Demarco Murray continues to punish defenses, there is a solid argument that Jonathan Williams is likely to out-perform DHenry this season, though Henry's ADP is  super high in comparison because he's a major lottery ticket. Unless the Bills pick up Ryan "Breakable" Mathews, Joique Bell, or wrestle Deangelo Williams away from his new career, there is literally no one competing with Jonathan Williams for the cuff / backup / COP role. My two cents: some cuffs ain't worth their price tags, some not worth a roster spot due to lack of talent or lack of opportunity, or due to pass-heavy offenses and/or poor o-lines, and Jonathan Williams is worth drafting for all reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2017 at 10:40 PM, cohenstantinople said:

 

 

Gillislee had 110 touches, 623 yards, 8 vultured TDs. I expect this to be Jonathan Williams' floor, though I'd venture to guess an increase in touches: Shady has only played three 16-game seasons in his eight-year NFL tenure, and his sitting out a game or two seems probable. Though I prefer the talent of James Conner as a cuff (Henry of course, Kamara, Ivory even --- the list is too long), Jonathan Williams is an ok back in a great backup situation. Contrast this to Derek Henry, a supreme talent in a not-so-great situation, whose numbers mirrored the Bills' #2 last year: 123 touches, 627 yards, 5 TDs. As long as Demarco Murray continues to punish defenses, there is a solid argument that Jonathan Williams is likely to out-perform DHenry this season, though Henry's ADP is  super high in comparison because he's a major lottery ticket. Unless the Bills pick up Ryan "Breakable" Mathews, Joique Bell, or wrestle Deangelo Williams away from his new career, there is literally no one competing with Jonathan Williams for the cuff / backup / COP role. My two cents: some cuffs ain't worth their price tags, some not worth a roster spot due to lack of talent or lack of opportunity, or due to pass-heavy offenses and/or poor o-lines, and Jonathan Williams is worth drafting for all reasons.

I think his is a good evaluation. Williams is currently available very late, but should have some value as a flex play and could provide immense value if Shady is injured. Not bad from a guy with an ADP just above kickers and team defenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will be the #2 but he won't score as much as Gilly did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dogfightgiggle said:

Who do you like to pick up the slack in the redzone? 

McCoy. Buffalo will ride him until the wheels fall off in 2017 since he has no more guaranteed money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of Shady owners are not handcuffing him. There is no way I'd draft Shady without handcuffing him to Williams.

Shady is going at around #8ADP and that's way too high and risky for me.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams, who was recently found not guilty of DWI, will not be disciplined by the NFL for potentially violating the substance abuse policy, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:14 PM, Br0kenB said:

McCoy. Buffalo will ride him until the wheels fall off in 2017 since he has no more guaranteed money.

 

 

True statement.  I am sure Tolbert will steal a few too somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

williams is a favorite of mine as a late round, deep league dart throw. he was well regarded coming out of college, doesn't have much by way of competition behind him, and plays in a rb friendly scheme. moreover, shady does have some injury red flags. see below, for example.

 

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/rankings?InjuryPredictorRankingsForm[position]=RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, augustine said:

williams is a favorite of mine as a late round, deep league dart throw. he was well regarded coming out of college, doesn't have much by way of competition behind him, and plays in a rb friendly scheme. moreover, shady does have some injury red flags. see below, for example.

 

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/rankings?InjuryPredictorRankingsForm[position]=RB

 

Good link. I'm with you. He's a deep stash on my bench, alongside Carson and Burkhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Williams hold any stand alone value during the season or is he a strict lotto ticket that requires a McCoy injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you can compare him to what Mike gillislee has done last season. 

 

Maybe 100 Rushing Attemps - 500 yds without a McCoy injury.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He definitely has the look of a cheap, underrated handcuff who is a possible low end RB1 were Shady to die. And as others have said, he may have stand alone RB3 value in the Gillislee role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Williams looks good tonight. A 100% must handcuff for Shady owners.

 

On my bench, and I'm not a Shady owner. Leggo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.