Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

Just now, SpecialFNK said:

thanks for the clarification.

is this is what the Astros are waiting for then that sucks.

I agree, and in the new age of extensions I can't see that this is the reason....it is more likely due not wanting to cut ties with Tyler White just yet.

It would be great for him to come up and get regular AB's - as crowded as that roster currently is, I am not certain that he gets all the AB's without sitting once or twice a week, at a minimum. Maybe Houston knows this as well and is content to give him minor league AB's, let him play regularly, get past super 2, and by the way, Houston is not hurting - they lead the division by 6.5 games, have the best record in the AL and 2nd best in all of MLB. Not like they can't currently win games without him

It stinks, but what can you do. Maybe he will be up this summer if there is an opportunity - I mean, he should be, but coming up to sit multiple days a week won't do him any favors either. I want him up badly, but just trying to be realistic.

15 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

it is called prospect fatigue. First you have to wait. Then you have to hope they don't Carter Kieboom themselves back to AAA in a month. Even the sure fire studs Eloy, Vladdy, Tatis are not playing like top 200 overall players. I do play in a keeper and loading your team with redraft players is as much a crapshoot as a bunch of minor leaguers. Minor leaguers make much better trade chips though. All of Houston's minor leaguers have to know that if they deserve a promotion a job will be there for them. Otherwise what is the point? Going to the Round Rock HOF?

Good point.  The majority of these guys will miss expectations and the vast majority will be unpredictable.  Look at the old threads on this forum.

With that being said... it sure is fun trying to find the guys that will make a difference. 

44 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

It would be great for him to come up and get regular AB's - as crowded as that roster currently is, I am not certain that he gets all the AB's without sitting once or twice a week, at a minimum. Maybe Houston knows this as well and is content to give him minor league AB's, let him play regularly, get past super 2, and by the way, Houston is not hurting - they lead the division by 6.5 games, have the best record in the AL and 2nd best in all of MLB. Not like they can't currently win games without him 

It stinks, but what can you do. Maybe he will be up this summer if there is an opportunity - I mean, he should be, but coming up to sit multiple days a week won't do him any favors either. I want him up badly, but just trying to be realistic.

Sitting once, even twice, a week wouldn't be a big deal. They really don't want to cut ties with White or Kemp yet. They also have Tucker on the 40 man already, who has been hitting the ball well.

If they keep Alvarez in the minors he could be a very nice trade chip this year for pitching. If they call him up and he falls all over himself and can't hit anything, maybe that throws a little shade his way. I can't imagine it would damage his value much, but it's possible. If he's just murdering the ball in the minors and he's  not called up, maybe it's due to this, I don't know.

I think whether it's Tucker or Alvarez Houston has to call one up and give them ample opportunity. I think Tucker gets the first crack.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him dealt for pitching. Stroman, Boyd, Luis Castillo, Caleb Smith, Syndergaard, Wheeler, who knows. That's a substantial chip for an arm that I think they'll need. I really like Corbin Martin, Whitley, James, and some other young guys they have, but they need something to bank on with Verlander after 2019 (assuming Cole is gone). It sounds silly to mention Boyd here, but man, I'm buying. Maybe Bauer or Kluber. Really, just about anyone.

4 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

Sitting once, even twice, a week wouldn't be a big deal. They really don't want to cut ties with White or Kemp yet. They also have Tucker on the 40 man already, who has been hitting the ball well.

I can accept any and all explanations for not promoting Alvarez, except the bolded, above.  Whenever I see, the established, physical specimen White, used as potential obstacle, I start reaching for the rubber cement.

8 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

I can accept any and all explanations for not promoting Alvarez, except the bolded, above.  Whenever I see, the established, physical specimen White, used as potential obstacle, I start reaching for the rubber cement.

I don't disagree, at all. I would not let a guy like White block Alvarez. I think we're just now getting to the point Houston feels like they gave him ample opportunity to show he can follow up what he did last year, he's just not doing it. He put up solid #'s in 17/18 (given small sample sizes), with outstanding minor league #'s those 2 years too. I think the end is near unless he turns it around in a hurry.

The crazy part is White has been bad, but he's not been THAT bad. He's posing a .258/.359 AVG/OBP. Problem is his slugging is awful. If the worst bat in your lineup is hitting ~.260 with a .360 OBP, you're doing OK.

What is the issue with the 40 man roster?  Why not add him and call him up?

2 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

I don't disagree, at all. I would not let a guy like White block Alvarez. I think we're just now getting to the point Houston feels like they gave him ample opportunity to show he can follow up what he did last year, he's just not doing it. He put up solid #'s in 17/18 (given small sample sizes), with outstanding minor league #'s those 2 years too. I think the end is near unless he turns it around in a hurry.

The crazy part is White has been bad, but he's not been THAT bad. He's posing a .258/.359 AVG/OBP. Problem is his slugging is awful. If the worst bat in your lineup is hitting ~.260 with a .360 OBP, you're doing OK.

Agreed on all accounts.  He's currently on the 25, to produce runs.  Yet, he's done so, at the level of John Smoltz and Tom Glavine.  He brings nothing else to the table.  His glove is average, to below.  And he's certainly not a threat on the bases.  Enough already with Tyler White.  If they want to promote Tucker, fine.  I can accept that.  But White, good grief.

5 minutes ago, B&F said:

What is the issue with the 40 man roster?  Why not add him and call him up?

It’s been mentioned a few times but the logjam isn’t a problem at the level of the 40 man, it’s the 25 man major league roster. I believe they have 39 players on the 40 man and could also create another spot by transferring McCullers to the 60 day IL. There are several reasons why he isn’t up yet but the biggest is they would have to designate someone for assignment to create an opening on the 25 man. Kemp and White are the two most obvious candidates but both are out of options and both would likely be claimed by another team. It still is a good possibility that this occurs but Houston wants the depth and will kick the decision down the road some. Houston has an apparent organizational philosophy of not being aggressive with prospects (see Correa, Bregman, Tucker et al) so we’re all going to have to be patient. An injury requiring an IL stint might change things, but don’t expect to see him until after super two.

What do they see in Kemp is he supposed to be good or something? He seems way worse than White

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Trey5956 said:

What do they see in Kemp is he supposed to be good or something? He seems way worse than White

Neither are getting regular starts, so both are just bench depth right now - they're just both out of options, so they can't be sent down unless they accept the assignment after going unclaimed and being DFA'd off the MLB roster. In comparing the two, Kemp is more athletic with positional versatility (played 2B before being converted to the OF) who flashed speed and a solid hit tool in the minors. The organization was also a fan of his makeup. White has decent power and OBP skills, but is limited defensively and is more of a DH type - less valuable to most teams. The organization, it would seem, would still like to get something for either Kemp or White before exposing them to waivers, so they're pretty much stuck on the 25 man for right now unless they finally give in and give Alvarez, Tucker or someone else their roster spots.

Edited by Dark One

46 minutes ago, Trey5956 said:

Kemp is Ty Cobb, compared to Tyler White.  Even if Kemp doesn't hit, he brings other things to the table.  He can play numerous positions, well.  He's athletic.  He can run.  If he gets on base, he can put pressure on the defense.  White was supposed to hit, for some degree of power.  If he doesn't (which he isn't), he does nothing more, than look bad in a uniform.  

• Like 1

Yordan walked in first AB BAVG stays 402

Has anyone ever on pace to hit 50+ bombs...with a .350ish avg...under 25 years old...been left to rot in the minors before??

Whats the gaudiest line a Minor Leaguer has put up in a season with out making it to the show? Just curious.

33 minutes ago, bluntbros said:

Has anyone ever on pace to hit 50+ bombs...with a .350ish avg...under 25 years old...been left to rot in the minors before??

Whats the gaudiest line a Minor Leaguer has put up in a season with out making it to the show? Just curious.

Probably not often if ever.  But then again the "juiced' ball has only been introduced this year.  Alvarez is certainly at the top of the heap of hitting prospects but there are a ton of guys hitting the snot out of the ball this year.  If he had done this up against last year's numbers then perhaps Houston would have called him up already.   But then again they don't rush prospects.    We as fantasy managers get quite impatient but I actually think they do quite well with promoting their prospects...  

3 hours ago, bluntbros said:

Vlad last year was pretty gaudy 

But left to rot is a pretty strong term. Alvarez had  HRs last year. But he struck out more and wasn’t hitting over 300. This is really his breakout year. Last year he only caught our attention 

1-2 today already BAVG up to 397. Running out of prospects from other/better organizations to talk about. Just stuck with the Astros rotting in the minors....

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26741260/real-not-astros-offense-best-mlb-history

You don't mess with a winning line-up.  It's better to keep your ace in the hole for a time when you need him.  Eventually Houston will start slipping this year, and we will for sure see him then.  And by that time he will have developed his defense a little more hopefully, so he will be that much better.

17 hours ago, bluntbros said:

Joc Pederson.

Not sure what the actual numbers were, but Joc put up incredible numbers for a couple seasons if my memory serves correct. He bested some 50 year records I believe.

The only reason Alvarez shouldn't be up is due to service time/super-2/roster implications. All the paperwork reasons aside he should be the DH at the least.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Joc Pederson.

Not sure what the actual numbers were, but Joc put up incredible numbers for a couple seasons if my memory serves correct. He bested some 50 year records I believe.

The only reason Alvarez shouldn't be up is due to service time/super-2/roster implications. All the paperwork reasons aside he should be the DH at the least.

Meh Joc had 33 dingers (553 AB) before his callup, previous high was 22 in the minors for a full season and he barely hit 300, not close to Air Yordan stats IMO 

oh and higher K rate in AAA while hitting the 303 but better walk rate

Edited by kmoore1521

25 minutes ago, regulater said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26741260/real-not-astros-offense-best-mlb-history

You don't mess with a winning line-up.  It's better to keep your ace in the hole for a time when you need him.  Eventually Houston will start slipping this year, and we will for sure see him then.  And by that time he will have developed his defense a little more hopefully, so he will be that much better.

He likely is what he is defensively.  It's not like he hasn't played a ton of games out in the OF already...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

He likely is what he is defensively.  It's not like he hasn't played a ton of games out in the OF already...

Likely true.  Still stands that you don't mess with a winning line-up.  It's a luxury they have him waiting in the wings right now, and will be able to avoid a skid by injecting him into the lineup when things look like they are going south.  

It's better than bringing him up while they are white hot and then it somehow ruins team chem, and instead of having your ace in the hole to save you, you've wasted it and wasted it making your team worse in the Win/Loss column.  

That's the way sports works sometimes.  It's not always "He's better than said player whose already in the lineup so just call him up"

Edited by regulater

7 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Meh Joc had 33 dingers (553 AB) before his callup, previous high was 22 in the minors for a full season and he barely hit 300, not close to Air Yordan stats IMO 

oh and higher K rate in AAA while hitting the 303 but better walk rate

Add the SB's and you're talking about some pretty historic production that was left down.

Just now, Dark Kn19ht said:

Add the SB's and you're talking about some pretty historic production that was left down.

oh wow didnt even look at that category, i forgot how many SB he used to get compared to now being a power only it seems haha my b good catch you right