Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

18 hours ago, bluntbros said:

Has anyone ever on pace to hit 50+ bombs...with a .350ish avg...under 25 years old...been left to rot in the minors before??

Whats the gaudiest line a Minor Leaguer has put up in a season with out making it to the show? Just curious.

And don’t forget George Springer in 2013 when he was 23 and didn’t see the majors at all.  Sometimes they blossom and sometimes they turn into Jon Singleton and AJ Reed. The Astros don’t pay attention to the amazing stats in AAA because they’ve seen them. They have their own form of evaluation to decide if it’s a fluke or if it’s a George Springer. This is why I take yordan’s numbers with a grain of salt. You just never know but this organization in particular has been through it. 

1 minute ago, Wytchclt55 said:

And don’t forget George Springer in 2013 when he was 23 and didn’t see the majors at all.  Sometimes they blossom and sometimes they turn into Jon Singleton and AJ Reed. The Astros don’t pay attention to the amazing stats in AAA because they’ve seen them. They have their own form of evaluation to decide if it’s a fluke or if it’s a George Springer. This is why I take yordan’s numbers with a grain of salt. You just never know but this organization in particular has been through it. 

It's not about whether he's a fluke though, it's about when the team needs him.  And right now they don't.   He will continue to marinate all year until they need him, and there's nothing wrong with that.  If Houston never cool off (highly unlikely but for discussion sake), he will just start with them next season.  I can guarantee the organization AND players have the rightful priority of continuing to win games, and as long as they are doing that no fans of that team should be upset with not seeing Alvarez right now.  To us fantasy owners or spectators who don't care if Houston continue to win, it's aggravating but they are making/not making the right moves at the moment, like it or not.

19 hours ago, bluntbros said:

Has anyone ever on pace to hit 50+ bombs...with a .350ish avg...under 25 years old...been left to rot in the minors before??

Whats the gaudiest line a Minor Leaguer has put up in a season with out making it to the show? Just curious.

Then there was Crash Davis. He held the record for minor league HRs. Such a dubious honor. 

Every time I see his name at the top of this forum, I get that little bit of excitement. The kind you get just before foreplay begins. But then reality sets in and I realize before I even go in to the thread, whatever is being written has probably already been written. Numerous times. Time to stay away....

• Like 1

Not knocking you for posting that, but the actual article was kind of pointless other than saying he was there watching their game today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Not knocking you for posting that, but the actual article was kind of pointless other than saying he was there watching their game today.

Definitely. But just thought it could mean something is on the horizon, but we kind of know/want/think that anyway!

Posted (edited)

As of this minute in a league where everyone has exploded offensively Alvarez is currently:

*1st or tied for first in homers, rbis, batting average (triple crown), total basesobp slugging percentage, and ops
2nd or tied for second in hits, and  doubles
3rd in runs
9th in walks
*and no where near the top of the strikeout list with only 30

Unfortunately he has no triples nor stolen bases so once he clears that up (along with his necessary defensive improvements)he'll be right up there...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Astros pasting the Tigers again 10-4 in the 7th but Tyler White is 0-4 with 3k’s, bringing his batting average to .233 and OPS to .625. I could be way off here but I think we’re getting close to a call-up. I got it right with Hiura and I’m going to double down and say we see Yordan this weekend for the series against the Red Sox. Sox will have two righties (Porcello, Velazquez) and a TBD (not Sale or ERod). Seems like it might be a good spot to bring up their potential stud.

Edited by meh2

7 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Astros pasting the Tigers again 10-4 in the 7th but Tyler White is 0-4 with 3k’s, bringing his batting average to .233 and OPS to .625. I could be way off here but I think we’re getting close to a call-up. I got it right with Hiura and I’m going to double down and say we see Yordan this weekend for the series against the Red Sox. Sox will have two righties (Porcello, Velazquez) and a TBD (not Sale or ERod). Seems like it might be a good spot to bring up their potential stud.

Or could it be.... **gasp**  Kyle Tucker?  :o

• Like 1

Yordan goes three for five today with two doubles.

Tyler White goes zero for five with three ks in a game in which his team scored a dozen or so runs.

Intriguing 

14 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

Or could it be.... **gasp**  Kyle Tucker?  :o

I have no doubts Tucker is going to be a great player but Yordan’s OPS is nearly 500 points higher on the year and could be more easily fit into their lineup right now replacing White at dh.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Yordan goes three for five today with two doubles.

Tyler White goes zero for five with three ks in a game in which his team scored a dozen or so runs.

Intriguing 

White makes the rest of his teammates look good, that's his intangible value. Yordan would come up, make his teammates look bad in comparison, and destroy their confidence. Would you really want that on your team? 

Edited by exaulz
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, exaulz said:

White makes the rest of his teammates look good, that's his intangible value

Don’t forget he can pitch in blowouts 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, meh2 said:

I have no doubts Tucker is going to be a great player but Yordan’s OPS is nearly 500 points higher on the year and could be more easily fit into their lineup right now replacing White at dh.

In what way could Tucker not just as easily fill the DH slot?  The nearly 1400 ops I get for sure and can easily see an argument based on that crazy number but ease of replacing a DH isn’t on my radar for consideration.  Either guy just literally hits just like they do every day.  Either could fill that role.  The only argument to differentiate if the position they are looking to fill with a call-up is DH is that one guy is a better hitter than the other.

Edited by AHF
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

It’s very simple.  All these dudes getting called up are on desperate clubs looking for a spark.  Unfortunately Yordan is a victim of being on an elite team, in an elite organization.  Tyler White sucks a**, nobody is denying that.  But this could be one of these situations where he’s everyone’s best buddy in clubhouse on a 100+ win team even with his loser a** hitting for zero.  Yordan will be up at some point.  There’s just no timetable sadly.  We can’t call this one.  It’s going to be the patient mans reward.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Tyler White (who is riding the bench/platooning most days) isn't blocking Yordan - Brantley, Gurriel, the team's record and run differential are. The only area where White/Kemp is slightly blocking Yordan is based on the organization being out of options on them and not wanting to expose them to waivers/DFA them yet and not get anything in return for them. That's a 25 man roster issue, not a 40 man roster issue. But even if the team does waive White and/or Kemp, they still need a position to put Yordan at to play in the field everyday. They don't have it right now (Luhnow confirmed they won't call him up to DH) and don't have the urgent need to get his bat into the lineup and start his service time clock the way the Brewers did with Hiura, and hopefully the Rockies do with Rodgers.

The formula the organization is currently using to win ballgames is also working. Big time - there's no need to fix what isn't broken yet. If Brantley or Gurriel need to miss extended time, then absolutely bring him up. They also have the option of simply using Tucker, who is already on the 40 man and has been rolling himself lately - yes Yordan has been hotter on the season obviously, but the organization still wants to see what they have in Tucker (a top prospect in his own right) even if it's just to showcase him for a trade to ultimately clear a path for Yordan.

Gurriel would probably be the key in the absolute here and now if the organization decides to downgrade defensively at 1B and bench him to have Yordan play 1B - but the organization is under no pressure to do this immediately and there are still service time issues to consider for the organization above and beyond the positional/playing time issues (we may hate the financial aspect of baseball as fantasy managers, but it's still present unfortunately, hopefully they can eradicate service time manipulation in the next CBA).

In the meantime, don't worry about Tyler White - when the organization is ready, he will have no bearing on Yordan getting the call.

Edited by Dark One
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dark One said:

Tyler White (who is riding the bench/platooning most days) isn't blocking Yordan - Brantley, Gurriel, the team's record and run differential are. The only area where White/Kemp is slightly blocking Yordan is based on the organization being out of options on them and not wanting to expose them to waivers/DFA them yet and not get anything in return for them. That's a 25 man roster issue, not a 40 man roster issue. But even if the team does waive White and/or Kemp, they still need a position to put Yordan at to play in the field everyday. They don't have it right now (Luhnow confirmed they won't call him up to DH) and don't have the urgent need to get his bat into the lineup and start his service time clock the way the Brewers did with Hiura, and hopefully the Rockies do with Rodgers.

The formula the organization is currently using to win ballgames is also working. Big time - there's no need to fix what isn't broken yet. If Brantley or Gurriel need to miss extended time, then absolutely bring him up. They also have the option of simply using Tucker, who is already on the 40 man and has been rolling himself lately - yes Yordan has been hotter on the season obviously, but the organization still wants to see what they have in Tucker (a top prospect in his own right) even if it's just to showcase him for a trade to ultimately clear a path for Yordan.

Gurriel would probably be the key in the absolute here and now if the organization decides to downgrade defensively at 1B and bench him to have Yordan play 1B - but the organization is under no pressure to do this immediately and there are still service time issues to consider for the organization above and beyond the positional/playing time issues (we may hate the financial aspect of baseball as fantasy managers, but it's still present unfortunately, hopefully they can eradicate service time manipulation in the next CBA).

In the meantime, don't worry about Tyler White - when the organization is ready, he will have no bearing on Yordan getting the call.

I think you are right about who he eventually replaces (Gurriel) perhaps as early as next year at 1b, and agree that Tucker is going to be still in the mix.  However, I disagree that White's situation will not be directly tied to Alvarez' promotion.  For instance I think if White is traded it will be done so to get Alvarez to the majors, and Tucker will have to wait.  Just the way I see it...

Just in case anyone wasn't aware there is a lot to like here outside just the homers.

• Like 1

all these top prospects being called up and Alvarez is still down in the minors and dominating. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

all these top prospects being called up and Alvarez is still down in the minors and dominating. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Due to circumstances, Astros are roaring on all cylinders so no need to start Air Yordan's service time

The sky is still blue. Water is still wet. Alvarez is still good at baseball. Keith Law is still a weiner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Eerily similar to the way Keith Law reacted when Goldschmidt was on the rise.  I think Keith even said he was right on Goldschmidt when he won MVP.

5 hours ago, Baur10 said:

The sky is still blue. Water is still wet. Alvarez is still good at baseball. Keith Law is still a weiner.

He keeps getting the same question and still never gives any rationale to back up why he thinks that.  Is he just trolling people to get them stirred up and interested in his content?  This is seriously crazy.  People are obviously asking because of his amazing performance so far this year.  Shouldn't you address it and why it either isn't predictive of future success or why his other liabilities (presumably defense) outweight it such that he doesn't make the top 100 list?  Especially when you graded the same guy as top 50 last year?  This shouldn't be that complicated of an exercise.

• Like 1