Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

Is it too crazy to say Yordan and Eloy are similar level prospects? Both are in AA. Yordan is a year younger. Are we just debating of vs likely 1b elliigiblilty as the major difference?

Yordan is going  to be a monster riser in mid-season lists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Is it too crazy to say Yordan and Eloy are similar level prospects? Both are in AA. Yordan is a year younger. Are we just debating of vs likely 1b elliigiblilty as the major difference?

Yordan is going  to be a monster riser in mid-season lists.

for whatever it's worth, most scouting reports think that eloy will tap into more of his power for game results. they grade very similarly in raw power, but most have yordan with a 55-ish on game power, where eloy gets tagged with a 70.

also, in the semi-recently published "best tools" article by baseball america, they list eloy with the best power in the minors, while yordan didn't even make the top 5. 

not saying this is correct, just what the general opinion seems to be. i certainly think yordan has the capability to prove them wrong, and he may be in the midst of a season which does just that.

edit: for fantasy purposes, i'd say eloy's path to playing time is easier. i don't know how long yuli will be a roadblock in houston, but he's 33 so by next season it could be a debate.

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

for whatever it's worth, most scouting reports think that eloy will tap into more of his power for game results. they grade very similarly in raw power, but most have yordan with a 55-ish on game power, where eloy gets tagged with a 70.

also, in the semi-recently published "best tools" article by baseball america, they list eloy with the best power in the minors, while yordan didn't even make the top 5. 

not saying this is correct, just what the general opinion seems to be. i certainly think yordan has the capability to prove them wrong, and he may be in the midst of a season which does just that.

edit: for fantasy purposes, i'd say eloy's path to playing time is easier. i don't know how long yuli will be a roadblock in houston, but he's 33 so by next season it could be a debate.

I could see eloy having more power, but I do think perceptions of Yordan has changed since the beginning of the season. After a rough run in high A, many evaluators were down on him. As has been said in the previously and based on results since an additional promotion, he was obviously playing hurt and it effected him.

I think  a lot of people want a redo on their Yordan ranks.

I'm not worried about playing time in the slightest. Dh and lf have been a black hole, pretty easy to slide tucker and yordan there and yuli and yordan there, yuli will probably end up dhing. I also don't rule put yordan just being a better hitter next year than yuli, but I wouldn't go all in on that bet at all.

I

• Like 5

I stil think next year is more likely, but I have heard a few people suggest that this year might be possible for his call up. 

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I stil think next year is more likely, but I have heard a few people suggest that this year might be possible for his call up. 

If the 3 options in front of him keep struggling, and he keeps hitting, Astros have known to be aggressive. I’d say he’d probably at least be a good platoon option if he can shown he can hang in the big leagues. 

Taking the plunge.... looks like they have had him in left field though all year.... can he push to first by next?

On 5/6/2018 at 8:18 AM, hard1 said:

Taking the plunge.... looks like they have had him in left field though all year.... can he push to first by next?

This one will be interesting to watch.. Yuli Gurriel is locked in until after the 2020 season. Marwin Gonzalez is a FA after this year so it'll be interesting to see if Yuli switches to that utility role if the Astros don't re-sign Marwin.. If they don't resign Marwin, then yes, this kid has a fantastic chance to play a bunch next year IMO. As an Astros fan I'm just as excited about Yordan Alvarez as I am about Kyle Tucker.. He has stud written all over him. 

4 hours ago, Light Tower Power said:

Returned to action last night in what seems like forever. Went 2-4 with 2HR. Game was called in the 5th, so stats don't count.

good heads up on the stats not counting. Taking away 2 dongs from him? Sad. He has a near 400 WOBA as a 20 year old in AA. He's probably going into one of the best lineups in baseball next year.

Outside of steals and position eligibility, there a ton to like here. Top 20 fantasy prospect for me.

• Like 2

Homered yesterday and today, and had two taken away because of a rain delay. 4 home runs super quick after returning from the Dl.

Wow. Don't be surprised to see him super high on a lot of lists soon

• Like 3

What are the chances he plays 1b in the majors? I feel like all of their other internal 1b options have been given chances and no one has stepped up. 

1 minute ago, aMediumPace said:

What are the chances he plays 1b in the majors? I feel like all of their other internal 1b options have been given chances and no one has stepped up. 

Pretty substantial. He's super athletic and playing the outfield now, but he's also huge. Rf/1b/dh profile 

• Like 1

Any chance he passes Tucker as the first call up in the event of an injury or prolonged slump/under performance? I mean Reddick is currently sporting the old .241 with 6 hr...thats about as average as average gets. Yuli seems like empty calories with a .305 and not much else at 1b. 

Would seem to be some opportunity there if Yordan keeps raking but this is also the same org which has taken forever to give Tucker some burn so who knows.

Rotowire has him as the #17 fantasy prospect. Which I would tend to agree with... the potential here is tremendous.. 

60 hit tool with the potential of 70 grade power? 70 grade power may be a little strong but this guy is a BEAST and still just 20 years old (turns 21 in a week). 

There's 30+ HR power in here from what I've read and seen so far. 

1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

This guy going to get the call soon?

No way he'd get the call before Tucker...

Alvarez is pretty much on the same level Eloy as a pure hitter for me.

But seriously look at his numbers he is right on par with him and arguably better.

While Alvarez boasts a higher K rate he walks even more and boasts a swinging strike % 4 points lower than him. Not to mention Yordan is a year younger as well.

The main thing going in Eloy's favor is a longer track record.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 2

3/4 with a hr and 2 r, 2 ribs tonight, hitting .331 so far this season.

Edited by hgh22
  • Like 1

I imagine the White Sox had him on their list of potential targets in a midseason Abreu deal with HOU when the season started. Ship has probably sailed on that . . . 

7 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

That also includes a sizable down period at the end of last year when he was obviously playing hurt with a hand or wrist injury, without that rough patch his numbers are even crazier 

• Like 2