Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

unless there is an injury I'm no longer expecting Alvarez to be called up, and even then it's not a sure to be Alvarez when Houston has Tucker as an option. Alvarez could be left to dominate in the minors all season.

Why not? Happened to vlad and Eloy.  

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

Why not? Happened to vlad and Eloy.  

EJ was signed so they didn't need to wait for the super 2.

Vlad waited all last season.

apparently there is a difference with some of the prospects that were already called up for an extra year of free agency compared to waiting until sometime in June with YA for the super 2.

even then Astros don't need YA offensively, and if they want someone else then Kyle Tucker is already on the 40 man roster where YA is not.

it sucks, but it looks like YA wont be up anytime soon.

18 hours ago, Sergeant Arms said:

That has never been up for debate. 

No. But what is up for debate is who’s called up first. 

15 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

EJ was signed so they didn't need to wait for the super 2.

Vlad waited all last season.

apparently there is a difference with some of the prospects that were already called up for an extra year of free agency compared to waiting until sometime in June with YA for the super 2.

even then Astros don't need YA offensively, and if they want someone else then Kyle Tucker is already on the 40 man roster where YA is not.

it sucks, but it looks like YA wont be up anytime soon.

Sorry...I meant they were in the minors all of last year despite having nothing to prove.

4 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Sorry...I meant they were in the minors all of last year despite having nothing to prove.

I thought you were saying why not call them up, rather than why not leave them in the minors.

I wonder what will happen, if Yordan is left in the minors all season and continues to dominate at the same pace he has so far . His season long stats would be historic and going into next season he would almost be a lock to be a what, top 10? Top 5? on most prospect lists. Would K Law still leave him off his top 100? 

19 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I thought you were saying why not call them up, rather than why not leave them in the minors.

Nope. Just agreeing with you that obliterating the minors does not mean you get called up. Even if it’s for a year. Although not even vlad or Eloy did this.  Both of them didn’t make it to AAA until the summer either.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Nope. Just agreeing with you that obliterating the minors does not mean you get called up. Even if it’s for a year. Although not even vlad or Eloy did this.  Both of them didn’t make it to AAA until the summer either.

But isn't the pitching considered tougher in AA? Unless you catch a rehabbing stud in AAA? I've always heard that over the years that you'll find more upcoming talent in AA and older career AAA pitchers who won't make the show in AAA.  But I can see holes in this theory...so I guess every situation is different. Maybe we shouldn't assume one way or the other. 

Edited by RBI Sports
added a sentence

14 minutes ago, hypeiz4real said:

Made his first error today. Forget it boys.... Maybe 2020

And White hit his 1st homer. Lock this thread up. We’ll see everyone next year. 

5 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

And White hit his 1st homer. Lock this thread up. We’ll see everyone next year. 

Tucker donged too. Throw the key away. This thread is locked.

looks like a sunken cost for 2019 and perhaps 2020 

He'll be up at some point.  It's just a matter of when.  The way he's hitting, they pretty much have to at some point.

Posted (edited)

He is absolutely going to be coming up this year.  Vladdy and Eloy mentioned above were playing for teams that had no reason to bring them up.  Although they certainly deserved the call management was obviously thinking a few years ahead.   No doubt baseball sucks in this way...Houston though, while fine now, is certainly going to want their best lineup come playoff time.  Having a potential bat like this in your hand is something you don't just hold on to.  If they lost the world series and never gave Alvarez a shot they shouldn't have a job.   But Houston management is not incompetent  and know what they are doing...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Turkey Burgers said:

So, he’s not in the Round Rock lineup tonight. Anyone know if it’s simply a rest day?

Appears to be just a day of rest and springer should be back in a day or two according to hinch.  

2 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Anyone thinking of selling at this point?  The hype train is huge. 

I'd like to sell since I'm deep however I'm not sure he's got BUY status? Most prospects are valued more by their owners than by folks trying to acquire. 

Just my two cents. I'd be curious to see any completed deals if anyone has seen any? 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, hypeiz4real said:

I'd like to sell since I'm deep however I'm not sure he's got BUY status? Most prospects are valued more by their owners than by folks trying to acquire. 

Just my two cents. I'd be curious to see any completed deals if anyone has seen any? 

In most regular 12 team redraft leagues you don't get much until actually promoted.   Then depending on how he's done those first few days it can either push a prospects value through the roof - Riley being a recent example of this - or knock it way down (Vladdy was traded for a lot lower than what he was worth).   Very hard to get a fair deal either way...

Edited by knuckleheads

4 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Anyone thinking of selling at this point?  The hype train is huge. 

who would be selling, and who would be buying?

in a redraft league if you can trade him based on what he doing in the minors and get value for this season based on that now, then I would do it. if someone thinks Alvarez callup is imminent and he will be a stud right away and wants to trade something for THAT, that would be a plus.

in a keeper league for those who are holding it would make sense to keep holding because the potential is too good to sell.

4 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

who would be selling, and who would be buying?

in a redraft league if you can trade him based on what he doing in the minors and get value for this season based on that now, then I would do it. if someone thinks Alvarez callup is imminent and he will be a stud right away and wants to trade something for THAT, that would be a plus.

in a keeper league for those who are holding it would make sense to keep holding because the potential is too good to sell.

I have him, 14 team / 20 man keeper. 

My thinking was that the hype has exceeded the value.  I have no idea who I would target, just curious if any deals had been made and what that would look like.  I don’t know - Eloy?  Something like that?

redraft leagues he is almost untradeable since other prospects are in better positions to be called up for better teams. Yordan is 37% owned in Yahoo which is high for a minor leaguer unsure if he will be called up. Your best bet in any league is to find a fanboy. Of Houston, Round Rock, yordan. My trick is to bash him and the Astros in my league message posting. Whoever defends him is my best new trade partner.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:01 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Throwing it out there. He's about 6 months older than Eloy was last year, but he's putting up better numbers, even factoring in the ball. 

Oh nice, fangraphs just now throwing out the Eloy comp. Welcome to Brockpapersizer posts from a week ago!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Oh nice, fangraphs just now throwing out the Eloy comp. Welcome to Brockpapersizer posts from a week ago!

I gotta admit, man...the new avatar is messing with my head.  I feel like I don't even know you anymore haha.  Oh, and to paraphrase Black Panther...get this kid a bat!  Yordan belongs in Houston already dam it....Tyler White must go!

• Like 1