Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

Posted (edited)

James Anderson from Rotowire just said on SiriusXM Fantasy that Alvarez could come up before the end of April.  Just to see if he can cut it against major league pitching.  

Edited by pmccurry
grammar
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, pmccurry said:

James Anderson from Rotowire just said on SiriusXM Fantasy that Alvarez could come up before the end of April.  Just to see if he can cut it against major league pitching.  

I haven’t heard anything about him coming up this soon.

I haven't heard anything either, but I could see it happening as White is doing nada and his peripherals suggest he should actually be doing worse. Alvarez has been advertised as a man without a position and with White struggling, Alvarez replacing him at DH seems like a natural fit. I may have actually just talked myself into adding him in one of my keeper leagues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmccurry said:

For context, the premise James was using isn't that there is some rumor of a call-up. Rather, if Alvarez keeps raking like this for a few more weeks and Tyler White continues to suck, the Astros aren't going to leave a guy this hot in AAA when they have such a hole on the MLB roster.

Personally, I don't see it, but if Alvarez stays this got for 3 more weeks, he's sitting at like 15 homers by the end of April, so we're already talking unprecedented territory.

• Like 2

6 HRs in 30 ABs with 7 BBs and 7 Ks

Is Round Rock known as a hitter's park?

2 hours ago, jb_power said:

6 HRs in 30 ABs with 7 BBs and 7 Ks

Is Round Rock known as a hitter's park?

Just the opposite. My personal calculations have Round Rock's home stadium Dell Diamond as 10% below league average in terms of run production, 3.5% below average for wOBA, 5% below average for HR count (caveat: all based on 2018 production only). Seems to agree with an article I found from 2016 showing triple-A park factors between 2014-2016.

We've gotta be seeing Alvarez soon.

• Like 2

Feels pretty similar to the Tucker situation last year, I think there's a chance he could be up next week and a chance we see him for nothing more than sporadic playing time in July /August.

Seems like he has a better shot to contribute on offense than White and Alvarez (like Alonso) might not be worth keeping down for service time.

looked like he just flicked the bat and .... gone!

14 hours ago, jb_power said:

looked like he just flicked the bat and .... gone!

Looked like it was going close to CF as well. I feel like in his 3 HR game, none of them were cheap pull shots either.  Really seems like he has all fields power. 

What is the best conservative time frame for him to be called up? And if he gets called up, what position would make the most sense for him (DH)??

On 4/18/2019 at 11:53 AM, bgbg22 said:

What is the best conservative time frame for him to be called up? And if he gets called up, what position would make the most sense for him (DH)??

Between today and late September

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BaseballMuggle said:

Between today and late September

Nailed it!

As for the position, DH was indeed a good guess.  That's the team's biggest weakness at the moment it seems.

As long as they're winning, I can't see the Astros calling up Yordan before the super 2.  White and Kemp are out of options and Marisnick is close to getting there as well. So unless one of those guys gets traded or the Stros go on a losing streak, there's no reason to waste a year of control on Yordan. But once super 2 passes, it's on!

Posted (edited)

...and he goes deep again today. Absolute beast.

I'm trying not to get too excited because, you know, Jon Singleton and AJ Reed, but damn...

Edited by Talshill

On 2/9/2019 at 8:59 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Worst part about Keith not including Yordan was that he ranked him like 40 last year and had very little explanation why he didnt make it this year.  He hit very well last year too so and acknowledged in his 2018 write up he was probably 1b.  Pretty bizarre stuff.

Chris: Didn’t find Yordan Alvarez any of your lists. What’s your thoughts on him? Too risky of a hitting profile given he’s not a great defender?
Keith Law: See above. “Not a great defender” is kind. Might be a DH. Not an elite hitter, either.

Alvarez is certainly embarrassing the hell out of Keith Law right now.  At least he should be...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Alvarez is certainly embarrassing the hell out of Keith Law right now.  At least he should be...

I used to really care about what Law thought, but anymore I think he's just another guy that's too much a slave to tools or other rankings. I asked about why Hoskins got no love when everyone was all over Dom Smith's jock. Got some BS response. I mean, you can't always be right on anyone, but he's really quick to dismiss the guys who are "big guy hit ball far" kinda guys. 

Even if Alvarez isn't a great defender, that bat is going to play. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

And fangraphs

2 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

I used to really care about what Law thought, but anymore I think he's just another guy that's too much a slave to tools or other rankings. I asked about why Hoskins got no love when everyone was all over Dom Smith's jock. Got some BS response. I mean, you can't always be right on anyone, but he's really quick to dismiss the guys who are "big guy hit ball far" kinda guys. 

Even if Alvarez isn't a great defender, that bat is going to play. 

He's very dismissive of certain things. He does put certain guys on the radar that others don't. He was highest on Tatis in early 2017 by a considerably margin. 

My memory is a bit hazy, how aggressive are the Astros typically with prospect call ups?  Correa was June, Springer April, but other than that I don't know the organization well.  Gurriel has been decent but Kemp/White have been a clear weak link so there's clearly a place for him even without an injury.

Just now, Baur10 said:

My memory is a bit hazy, how aggressive are the Astros typically with prospect call ups?  Correa was June, Springer April, but other than that I don't know the organization well.  Gurriel has been decent but Kemp/White have been a clear weak link so there's clearly a place for him even without an injury.

Whatever the opposite of aggressive is defines the Astros. As much as I want to believe they'll call up Yordan, I have no confidence that it'll be soon enough to warrant a redraft stash. Maybe after Super-2, but I don't even feel good about that. We just went through waiting on Tucker last year... we're still waiting on them and Whitley again... and now Alvarez.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Whatever the opposite of aggressive is defines the Astros. As much as I want to believe they'll call up Yordan, I have no confidence that it'll be soon enough to warrant a redraft stash. Maybe after Super-2, but I don't even feel good about that. We just went through waiting on Tucker last year... we're still waiting on them and Whitley again... and now Alvarez.

Well that's disappointing. I'm remembering all the Tucker talk from last year now that you mention it.  Hard to argue with their player development/management system at this point though I guess.