munde53

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

Just now, furbz420 said:

The packers went up 1 touchdown in the first quarter and the Saints promptly tied it up in the beginning of the second quarter. The Pack never led by more than 1 score, I don't really think you can say the gameflow heavily favored Jones at any point during the game. 

Oh I only saw the beginning (which is where Jones did the majority of his work) and figured as the Packers started to get behind he may have given up more snaps to TyMont. That is encouraging news but I'm trying to project how things may look going forward so I'm more concerned with snap counts on 3rd downs and how they looked once Packers were trailing or were in desperation mode where they had to throw it. Packers may find themselves in this position a fair amount going forward if Hundley doesn't improve so I wanted to see if they still trusted Jones in these situations or if TyMont ate in the snap count a little more.

i benched Jones because of concern about game flow and how much TM might be used.  I won't make that mistake again.

32 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

Oh I only saw the beginning (which is where Jones did the majority of his work) and figured as the Packers started to get behind he may have given up more snaps to TyMont. That is encouraging news but I'm trying to project how things may look going forward so I'm more concerned with snap counts on 3rd downs and how they looked once Packers were trailing or were in desperation mode where they had to throw it. Packers may find themselves in this position a fair amount going forward if Hundley doesn't improve so I wanted to see if they still trusted Jones in these situations or if TyMont ate in the snap count a little more.

Per PFF, Jones outsnapped TyMont 44-7. 

Honestly, I'd sell high.  Hundley can't throw.  If I was a DC I'd sell out to stop the run and dare them to throw.

The Pack has a bye next, I think Hud will be better, he looked pretty good in pre-season.

I had a feeling this was going to be Aaron's game today. Just made more sense than Ty. I do believe Ty is going to get more snaps going forward...today's conditions just favored a true RB, which simply Ty is not. We'll see what Jones does going forward. 

RB1 the rest of the season. The packs are going to rely on him sort of the same way the bears rely on Howard to take pressure off their rookie QB. This is his backfield now 

4 hours ago, furbz420 said:

Per PFF, Jones outsnapped TyMont 44-7. 

Well that's fairly convincing and probably better than 90% of the guys we consider to be bellcows. Maybe the Packers have decided to fully unleash Jones (today's performance definitely won't discourage it). The Saints defense isn't a stout defense but they also haven't been the push over they have been historically so far this season. Jones was able to carve out RB1 value (and more importantly this game despite Hundley's struggles) so he should have at least RB2 value going forward even if TyMont takes a little more work than he did today but has RB1 upside especially once Hundley naturally improves as the coaching staff adjusts the offense for him better and he gets more comfortable with more snaps under his belt. Even if he is just average he has the talent around at receiver and TE to command the defense to respect the passing game and not just stack the box to stop Jones. 

Edited by Jaw1

On 10/9/2017 at 5:53 PM, MoonBlaster said:

That would certainly be interesting to see but would go completely against what GB has established over McCarthys tenure. Short of a standard  lead blocker I-formation GB typically runs 3 WR sets as it is (I'm fairly certain they're amongst the league leaders in this formation). 

In the past they've experimented with Cobb in the backfield as well which means that there is at least some possibility of Montgomery and Jones both being in at RB but I would definitely not go as far as saying this is the most likely outcome. 

Here we are three weeks later and this is the outcome that happened. Jones is a more prototypical RB and basically leg wrestled this thing away from Montgomery. I tried to trade the Montgomery owner Jones this weeks ago based on this and they scoffed. Now they're stuck with a useless fantasy asset moving forward.

I will say that if I'm a Jones owner I'm looking to sell high now. Teams are going to start stacking the box to negate Jones and Hundley's legs and until he can be a threat with his arm this is as good as it's going to get for Jones.

Edited by kjansick

It's tough to sell high on a guy like Jones especially this late in the season where most player values have settled. I think Diggs+a Kamara RB2 upside type is what a Jones owner should be looking for. And I just can't see anybody willing to do that. With the state of RBs I'd prefer to just ride it out and roll the dice with Jones.

I own Jones, but is anyone concerned that perhaps the Packers were just giving Ty a week with the Bye upcoming to get him fully healthy? I still feel uneasy owning him without Ty.

Anyone with some local insight? 

50 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

I own Jones, but is anyone concerned that perhaps the Packers were just giving Ty a week with the Bye upcoming to get him fully healthy? I still feel uneasy owning him without Ty.

If teams start stacking the box against a Hundley led Green Bay offense, Ty Montgomery's role might reduce further.  Montgomery was averaging almost nothing in situations where defenses were set-up to defend the run.  It makes sense since he is not a natural running back that he cannot deal with those defenses.   If that is his fate, then Green Bay will be forced to reduce his role no matter the team's feelings for him. 

57 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Lol GB needs all the help they can get, and Aaron Jones runs circles around TY as a RB. So no, 0 concern

It's been apparent since they actually gave Jones the ball that he was a huge upgrade. He's honestly the best GB RB since probably Ahman Green. I was mostly afraid that MM would bow down to veteran deference bs, esp after what Monty did for the team last year...but Jones started and was the clear lead dog. Tape doesn't lie and I can't see Monty being anything other than a change-up going forward.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It's been apparent since they actually gave Jones the ball that he was a huge upgrade. He's honestly the best GB RB since probably Ahman Green. I was mostly afraid that MM would bow down to veteran deference bs, esp after what Monty did for the team last year...but Jones started and was the clear lead dog. Tape doesn't lie and I can't see Monty being anything other than a change-up going forward.

Really? I'm not saying they've had an AP or Marshawn Lynch in the backfield since Ahman Green but let's not jump the gun here.

I think people forget just how good Lacy was in his first 2 seasons in GB. Ryan Grant was also a very consistent performer, who rarely fumbled.

I saw the highlights. He didn't seem to do much in the 2nd half other than a big run towards the end of the 3rd. I might be on that sell high wave too. Bias aside is he at least a strong RB2/ Flex ROS?

What are thoughts about him in Dynasty? Anyone think he is up there with the Kareem Hunt, Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook's of the world? 

39 minutes ago, Jmoney1207654 said:

I'm so in between keeping him or selling high. ? 

I think if Rodgers were healthy or coming back soon, holding would make more sense. Otherwise, just about everyone on this offense is a fade.

Edited by Fiveohnine

24 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

What are thoughts about him in Dynasty? Anyone think he is up there with the Kareem Hunt, Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook's of the world? 

Good God, no. But I'm holding him in dynasty because next year he'll be GB's starting RB with Rodgers under center. And if gets a full season starting w Rodgers I don't see why he couldn't do 1300-1500 total yards and 10+ TDs. In today's NFL, I'll take that. 

1 hour ago, Bandito said:

Good God, no. But I'm holding him in dynasty because next year he'll be GB's starting RB with Rodgers under center. And if gets a full season starting w Rodgers I don't see why he couldn't do 1300-1500 total yards and 10+ TDs. In today's NFL, I'll take that. 

I don’t know about that.  Monty was putting up huge numbers and he can’t run nearly as well as this kid.  When Rodgers comes back it will be beast mode.  His college tape shows that he’s great out of the backfield as well. 

4 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

I don’t know about that.  Monty was putting up huge numbers and he can’t run nearly as well as this kid.  When Rodgers comes back it will be beast mode.  His college tape shows that he’s great out of the backfield as well. 

Agreed with Rodgers he is an elite RB1 if he is handed the reins like he was yesterday

Hey, I'd love to see Jones go nuts. I'm just tempering expectations. GB hasn't had an elite back since Ahman Green. I WANT Jones to be elite. I'm just not predicting it.