Sign in to follow this  
balancedman178

Kyle Gibson 2017 Outlook

Hes been better since his return from a demotion to AAA, outside of a start @BAL 

that went poorly yet somehow provided him with a win. Worth a look in deep AL only leagues? He seems to have a rotation spot again, the Twins are winning, and his K rate is up. 

I think any AL pitcher is worth a look in a deep AL-only league

Last 3 starts:

19.2 IP

20Ks 

3 W, 3 QS

1.37 ERA

1.07 WHIP

Thinking about streaming him tomorrow @KC.. who's with? 

I remeber a time when he was a pretty decent starter. Don't know much about him though. I've never thought very high of him but he seems hot right now so might be worth a shot. Thoughts anyone?

19 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

Thinking about streaming him tomorrow @KC.. who's with? 

I was thinking about it, but I'm going to look elsewhere.  Gibson's just not that good, and "last three starts" is a pretty bad way to evaluate a pitcher.  Any chump can string together three good starts.

A ground-ball heavy guy like Gibson can succeed in stretches, but he can also get BABIPed to death with bleeders and bloopers.  The ~6.5ish K/9 shows he can't miss bats to get out of jams.  KC's a pretty safe park, and the Royals don't hit a ton, so he could be successful, but I'd rather roll the dice with Mahle against the Mutts or Fister vs. the Jays

Gibson has made a couple adjustments recently. Hiding the slider better apparently because of a suggestion from Buxton. Arm angle and rubber positioning change (I think). Definitely increased high 4SM usage. He's getting +10% Swstr in his last 3 starts. 

• Like 1

Eh, I'm kind of skeptical of narrative stuff like that.  Coaches and players are always tweaking things -- I think we just hear about the ones that correlate with an improved result.

Maybe I'm a bit biased from getting burned by the guy a few times in recent years, though -- good luck if you all decide to roll with him.  It is a good spot to succeed if he's really made those improvements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Eh, I'm kind of skeptical of narrative stuff like that.  Coaches and players are always tweaking things -- I think we just hear about the ones that correlate with an improved result.

Maybe I'm a bit biased from getting burned by the guy a few times in recent years, though -- good luck if you all decide to roll with him.  It is a good spot to succeed if he's really made those improvements.

Well the 4SM thing is true. I did watch his last start and there was a lot of hard contact. But swinging strikes are up and I have no one else to turn to so yolo.