DocJ

2017 Rotoworld Mock Real League

Getting Kamara is the single reason why my team has been so good.

I play in 4 leagues and he's in 3 championships.  I play in another 14 team league and drafted him with my last pick, I dropped him for Chris Carson, thinking, how's this rook gonna eat with two pro bowl rbs in his way

• Like 1

Good luck this week, man. Whichever way it goes, good season boys.

20 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Time to pop some champagne, loving the new signature, probably the least sexy team you will ever see survive a 14 team marathon

Well played boss

On 7/23/2017 at 5:51 PM, 1972Miamidolphins said:

QB Tom Brady

RB Frank Gore

RB Legarette Blount

WR Odell Beckham Jr

WR Deandre Hopkins

TE Delanie Walker

RB Larry Fitzgerald

RB Adam Thielen

K Stephen Gostkowski

D Denver

I'm playing to make the playoffs, 14 teams is a marathon, not a sprint, once ur in the playoffs, any team is dangerous

- Odell to maintain WR1 status and ball out like he does in the playoffs as history shows

- i still believe Hopkins is one of the best out there as a receiver, just need his qb to be better than osweiler

- Gore and Blount to plays 15-16 games, Gore is still an every down back on the depth chart

- Fitz to Fitz, his character and level of play is exceptional, potentially his last season, he's not a quitter

- I know others don't get kickers and defenses, but  u gotta play one each week, let me zag and get the best of that position.  I believe Gostkowski is the better fantasy kicker this year based on potential scoring opportunities in a high powered offense, yes, naturally Tucker is the better kicker but Gostkowski gets the nod in my books

Looked through the thread, theory worked, get to the playoffs, any team is dangerous at that point, gore was on the bench, but 8 of those 10 were there week 16, gore was on the bench and coulda benefited, just didn't have my first rounder obj 

Congrats Champ!

Few Things:

1. Could someone post the final standings, thanks.

2. Please try to post a season recap, doesn’t have to be a book but please post something.

3. Any changes for next year? All suggestions welcome.

4. Lastly, I think it may be a good idea for someone else to commish next season if they’re willing. I don’t mind doing it but it might be time to shake things up a bit, thoughts?

On 9/13/2017 at 10:04 PM, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Have you guys ever played on NFL.com?

Work league, can you drop bench players after they've played (I.e. TNF loophole on yahoo)

Really want to stash D'Onta 

Won 5 of 5 NFL.com public leagues I joined this season.

• Like 1

Season Recap:

1.  Draft.  I was considering drafting Zeke Elliot despite the suspension issues.  But once I read he was in a bar fight before the draft, I couldn't draft him.  I did consider a huge reach and drafting Gurley here, but I hadn't seen enough of the Rams in the preseason to really believe he would turn it around.  Brown felt like a safe choice.

I was sort of hopeful that Gurley would fall all the way to me in the second, but Pred picked him a few spots earlier.

On 7/17/2017 at 3:50 PM, Iron-cock said:

1.03: Antonio Brown

I opened my laptop around 8:30AM after a bout of insomnia the night before.   I’m expecting DJ and Bell to be drafted, which they were.  That left me with Antonio Brown vs Zeke Elliot.  Last night I went to bed thinking I’d grab Zeke and live with the one or two game suspension he’s likely heading for.  I google Zeke before the pick, and I see Mike Fisher (A Dallas beat reporter) tweeted 30 minutes ago that Zeke was in a “late night altercation” at a bar.   No other details. So what did Zeke do?  Did he punch a guy?  Is the guy dead?  In a coma?  Did Zeke break his hand?

Lacking any details, I simply fall back to drafting Antonio Brown.

Antonio Brown does not require explanation or erudition in my opinion, but I will state the obvious for the record.  In a half point PPR, Brown should be a reliable contributor most weeks.  He’s third in yards from scrimmage since his breakout year of 2013, and has missed only one game since then.  He should be able to still produce with Landry when Big Ben’s annual injury rolls around.  

I did consider reaching for a running back I like that won’t be available at 2.11, but I decided to go for the more reliable choice here.  

With all of this reliability talk, I have undoubtedly jinxed Antonio Brown for 2017.

On 7/17/2017 at 4:43 PM, predator_05 said:

There was one RB i was strongly considering. I'm sure it was the same RB @Iron-cock was thinking about reaching for, but ultimately i played it safe with Freeman

I decided to try to go WR-WR-WR-WR.   I liked this rookie class of RBs, and figured I could spam running backs later in the draft and hit on one.  Here is how the rest of my draft went:

vTYWYPi.png

2.  In Season:  You would think with this draft that I did well.  Sadly I cut Jamaal Williams at one point because he looked so bad early in the season, even though I spent the preseason watching him and thought he was decent!  The worst move came after that, I traded Alvin Kamara for Thomas Rawls on September 17th.  It looked like Rawls would be starting after the Chris Carson injury, and I only needed a few points from my RB's to be competitive.   I figured Kamara was trapped behind Peterson and Ingram.  Even though I thought he was super talented, I also thought he wouldn't get enough work with those two guys on the team.  Two weeks later on Oct 10, the Saints traded away Peterson.

Having watched Peterson a bit with the Saints I thought he still "had it", and the Cards/BA would give him plenty of work so I traded Elijah McGuire for him.  Peterson had one big game, and then eventually got himself injured. 

Overall my season could have been a lot better if I had stuck with the guys I drafted.  Still had I managed 3.31 more points in week 1, I could have made the playoffs so it wasn't a horrible year. 

MaQ8JyD.png

Overall, I'm going to avoid the WR-WR-WR-WR strategy in the future, or at least pick better WR's if I go that route. 

Edited by Iron-cock

Good recap mr. cock, I'm not quite as detailed as you but I'll put a recap for my tea and thought process.  

Round 1 4th pick, I had "no zeke" written on scratch paper at my work cube.  I've never had Beckham on my squad, and from an outsider looking in, the guy had a tendency to show up and win leagues for people when it gets later in the season.  

Round 2:  Hopkins, I am a firm believer he is the best receiver in the league, his talent is jaw dropping, and I still thought there was a high potential he would be a victim of the system in that offense, but I like rooting for the guy, the pick felt a little greasy but I'm a believer

round  3:  Brady, easy pick in a 14 team marathon, being risk adverse, this pick was easy(also, unaware we give 6 points passing td at this point)

round 4:  Fitzgerald, focused on consistency, past production, safe floor, easy pick in the fourth

round 5:  was it delanie?  Or gore?  Or Blount? Oh well, I thought all those picks were steady eddys and would keep a pulse while the top 4 picks do the damage

later in draft, in 14 team leagues, I love getting what I think is a to

kicker and defense, you have to play one each week.  Gostkowski panned out, denver, probably be looking at Jacksonville next season (hint hint, be ready to reach)

i have a bad bad history of landing rookie breakouts so just stick with what I see on the NFL gridiron, who else landed in the draft...  l.murray?  Not bad, poor sproles, rip, 

oh snap, forgot about thielen, just liked what I saw late in 2016 and the price was nice

in season:  started 5-0, was thinking champagne, the perfect narrative for the 1972miamidolphins, came against ft collusion, star struck as i was, he gets credit for ending the streak, stayed afloat the remainder of the season, heated up a little towards the end but missed the bye, set to gut my way thru the playoffs

playoffs:  week 14:  up against bolt, the perfect storm happened and Hopkins showed up when it mattered most

week 15:  was a greasy win, would got smoked on the other side of the bracket

week 16:  I think I had a slow start and projected finishes were coming nicely, however, everything changed and the old timers took out the up and comers with their wisdom and experience

had I started gore, the average age in my lineup woulda been 31.11 years old, but newb jamaal Williams changed that to 29.77

I don't have much to say. Trading for Kamara and avoiding key injuries made my team unstoppable. Guess it's better to be lucky at times. Go Bills.

• Thanks 1

Not a lot to say either.  As most who have played with me here before know, I’m a man of few moves.  While I did make more than I have in the past, I was still tied for the 3rd fewest moves made.  I’m also not overly active in the trade market (for better or worse).  I’ve stuck to my guns in this league over the years and it has worked out fairly well.  Any regrets are solely on me.

I believe this was my first draft, so my prep had been minimal.  Because of that, I ended up taking Zeke wondering how he could have fallen so far.  Luckily I got to start my season with him, and was able to start hot out the gate with him and Fournette.  Ultimately his loss did hurt me in my semi-final loss, but it was still an attainable victory and oh so close lol.  

Ertz in the 8th and Engram in the 14th were my best values.  

Overall, not disappointed with regular season champ and 3rd place, especially when my 5th-7th round picks totaled 25 points on the season (Lacy being the sole scorer, Luck and Meredith never played due to injuries).  Congrats to all and here’s to next season!

On 1/1/2018 at 1:12 PM, ToO_BaD said:

Not a lot to say either.  As most who have played with me here before know, I’m a man of few moves.  While I did make more than I have in the past, I was still tied for the 3rd fewest moves made.  I’m also not overly active in the trade market (for better or worse).  I’ve stuck to my guns in this league over the years and it has worked out fairly well.  Any regrets are solely on me.

I believe this was my first draft, so my prep had been minimal.  Because of that, I ended up taking Zeke wondering how he could have fallen so far.  Luckily I got to start my season with him, and was able to start hot out the gate with him and Fournette.  Ultimately his loss did hurt me in my semi-final loss, but it was still an attainable victory and oh so close lol.  

Ertz in the 8th and Engram in the 14th were my best values.  

Overall, not disappointed with regular season champ and 3rd place, especially when my 5th-7th round picks totaled 25 points on the season (Lacy being the sole scorer, Luck and Meredith never played due to injuries).  Congrats to all and here’s to next season!

I think u we’re a bortles start in week 15 from taking the gold. I remember watching the matchup and fournette was out and you started Ivory and yeldon, and that no name full back kept punching them in 

Edited by 1972Miamidolphins

On 1/1/2018 at 10:15 AM, Br0kenB said:

I don't have much to say. Trading for Kamara and avoiding key injuries made my team unstoppable. Guess it's better to be lucky at times. Go Bills.

I wouldn’t say unstoppable, maybe hot at the right time, but that’s the beauty of playoffs, get in, and ur just as dangerous as the next person

Edited by 1972Miamidolphins
  • Like 1

Thanks for those guys, I'll try to get a decent recap in here myself just been crazy busy lately.

If it's alright with everyone @Iron-cock has volunteered to take over commissioner duties next season. I need to think about what leagues I'll be in next year as I seem to have less and less time for fantasy these past few years. As of now I'll definitely be returning as an owner to this one just not commish.

Have a great Spring-Summer everyone!