ajs723

Tarik Cohen 2017 Outlook

Cohen is one of those rare RBs that is productive in both the running and passing game. He has 36 att, and 30 targ. Not too many waiver wire RBs have that 30/30 combo through the first 5 weeks of the season. I'm holding.

Sigh...Cohen was a monster in PPR until they decided they were going to randomly split carries 50/50 with some no name RB in Cunningham. Now he's not startable in any format unless Howard or Cunningham get hurt.

2 hours ago, april6e said:

Sigh...Cohen was a monster in PPR until they decided they were going to randomly split carries 50/50 with some no name RB in Cunningham. Now he's not startable in any format unless Howard or Cunningham get hurt.

Yeah don't see why everyone is hating on Cohen, regretting their FAAB bids, etc.

John Fox is just a stupid poop head for phasing out one of his best offensive players.

Its why the bears are 1-4 and its why john fox is a bad coach and a bad person

Like this article and the following quotes, i think he breaks one this week, lets go kid.

‘‘We’re just going to keep telling [Cohen] to trust the play [and] let the play come to you,’’ offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains said. ‘‘Don’t try to create the touchdown every time.’’

‘‘People are doing things to not let him be as big a factor, whether it’s the style of run or even the matchups,’’ coach John Fox said. ‘‘People are playing nickel defenses against him. Now it’s a matter of adjusting. He’ll do that. We’ll do that.’’

In the fourth quarter against the Vikings, Cohen stopped following fullback Michael Burton and guard Kyle Long on a run to their left and missed a gaping hole that developed. Instead, he tried to cut back. Defensive tackle Tom Johnson grabbed Cohen by his facemask in the backfield, but Johnson also was held by guard Josh Sitton. Seeing that play on film, Cohen thought he missed a big play by trying to make one.

‘‘You just see the opportunity,’’ Cohen said.

Tarik Cohen is learning to become a more patient — and better — back

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/tarik-cohen-is-learning-to-become-a-more-patient-and-better-back/

Edited by pdog109

Very nice work in this thread, boys.  Minnesota has throttled a lot of backs this year, including Le'Veon Bell.  One down game against a very tough D is not a reason to panic and drop Cohen or trade him for a WR5.

1 hour ago, pdog109 said:

Like this article and the following quotes, i think he breaks one this week, lets go kid.

With almost my entire team banged up I may have no choice but to believe this article. Thanks for posting, it gives me some hope!

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Very nice work in this thread, boys.  Minnesota has throttled a lot of backs this year, including Le'Veon Bell.  One down game against a very tough D is not a reason to panic and drop Cohen or trade him for a WR5.

True. That's why I didn't.

I dropped him because the coaching staff has seemed to restrict his usage ever since Cunningham got healthy. Touches and targets have dropped like a rock. 

Falcons: 5 rushes, 12 targets, 17 total

Bucs: 7 rushes, 9 targets, 16 total

Steelers: 6 rushes, 4 targets, 10 total

Packers: 6 rushes, 4 targets, 10 total

Vikes: 6 rushes, 1 target, 7 total

That's not exactly what you'd call a "good trend".

It's not like the Bears attempted to use him and the Vikings shut him down. They didn't really attempt to get him the ball.

13 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

True. That's why I didn't.

I dropped him because the coaching staff has seemed to restrict his usage ever since Cunningham got healthy. Touches and targets have dropped like a rock. 

Falcons: 5 rushes, 12 targets, 17 total

Bucs: 7 rushes, 9 targets, 16 total

Steelers: 6 rushes, 4 targets, 10 total

Packers: 6 rushes, 4 targets, 10 total

Vikes: 6 rushes, 1 target, 7 total

That's not exactly what you'd call a "good trend".

It's not like the Bears attempted to use him and the Vikings shut him down. They didn't really attempt to get him the ball.

Good trend IMO because 4 of those 5 games are losses. So what they are doing with Cohen and Howard isn't working.

The one game they won Howard and Cohen both got good usage.

Week 3 vs PIT

Howard  - 23 carries for 140 yards, 2 TDs. 5 receptions on 5 tgts for 26 yards.

Cohen - 12 carries for 78 yards. 4 receptions on 4 tgts for 24 yards.

But then John Fox plays to lose by bringing in Benny freaking Cunningham.

The problem is the total lack of creativity of the play calling and coaching staff.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:41 AM, yanksman said:

Still sitting on his 1 TD from week 1.

Doesn't change the fact that nothing we saw in game 1 predicted these results. You're reasoning was stupid then and is still stupid now.

I didn't have the luxury of holding Cohen after the Zeke news.  Dropped him and Breida for Morris and DMC.

Watch both go off this week.  Because FF.

16 minutes ago, SamPayton said:

Doesn't change the fact that nothing we saw in game 1 predicted these results. You're reasoning was stupid then and is still stupid now.

Well Cohen is no C. West who gets a TD every time he touches the ball

I also dont get the hate after a bad game., I was about to drop I Crowell for any WW RB and decided to see if the Cohen owner wanted to trade and I traded Crowell for Cohen and very happy about it.   

This line by Fox says it all, its just Cohen making adjustments and he will be fine.

‘People are doing things to not let him be as big a factor, whether it’s the style of run or even the matchups,’’ coach John Fox said. ‘‘People are playing nickel defenses against him. Now it’s a matter of adjusting. He’ll do that. We’ll do that.’’

What's honestly crazy is that we sit here as just average joe's, but we seem to understand that utilizing good offensive weapons is good for a damn team. 

Meanwhile, the head coach, John Fox, cannot seem to grasp the idea of utilizing what he has, and instead, going with an outdated "weapon" in Benny Cunningham. Yeah, he blocks better, but taking Cohen/Howard out for passing plays, in favor of Benny... Really? 

We may be biased, but certainly not stupid to just sit one of the most electrifying players on the team if given the chance.  Also, it's not really that teams are completely ousting him, it's that John Fox is not giving him much to work with, and the offensive line continuing to effing hold on big plays. Do you guys remember when Cohen had two 20+ yard gains called back for holding? Leno and Sitton are making so many simple mistakes.

The thing is, though, he isn't electrifying. He's home run or strike out. He can't really run the ball consistently, and putting him in the game telegraphs the play call. Those are two tremendous handicaps against a rookie QB. It didn't take long for the league to adjust to that.

But did the league "adjust"?  What can you honestly be expected to produce on 7-10 touches a game?!

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

But did the league "adjust"?  What can you honestly be expected to produce on 7-10 touches a game?!

He’s got to be open in order to get more touches.  Defensive coordinators aren’t dumb. They see the wr stable in Chicago and know they can throw more at Cohen.   This kid is unplayable until some wr picks up the slack. 

I don't understand why he and Howard aren't on the field at the same time more often

9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I don't understand why he and Howard aren't on the field at the same time more often

It's truly baffling and quite frankly kind of an embarrassment for the staff. What's stopping them? They are 1-4 and have zero other players that can make plays.

He's know playing about 17 offensive snaps per game. You're basically counting on him getting targeted or receiving a handoff 100% of the time he's on the field, otherwise he's unstartable. 

If he plays 16 snaps, and they go to him half those plays, that's 4 carries and 4 targets. Even in a deep PPR league, that's total garbage.

Stay away for now. 

with wheaton and deonte thompson out do you think cohen gets some extra reps or targets? dropped him in 3/4 leagues, but forced to start him in my last league.

1 hour ago, jasonresno said:

with wheaton and deonte thompson out do you think cohen gets some extra reps or targets? dropped him in 3/4 leagues, but forced to start him in my last league.

He might but not because of them being gone. I took a flyer on Tanner Gentry as I think he benefits most from Deonte & Wheaton being gone.

Tarik needs to run the ball a bit better than last game. As for in the pass game he benefits being on the field WITH Howard. When he is in on early downs defense coordinator has to choose from playing an extra LB to combat the run or play the nickel package to account for Tarik coming out of the backfield vs a LB. Problem is that puts more burden on the rookie QB to make calls at the line. Fox is going to be conservative and take a lot of that decision making off of Trubisky. Then when the vast majority of Tarik's snaps come in obvious passing downs & distance the "D" has their nickel package in which means a DB's spying on Cohen negating a lot of his mismatch advantage. Poor game planning not only for Tarik but the Bears too. But that's Fox M.O. for years. A defense minded coach not big on offense creativity. Now give Andy Reid this same group and you'd see a lot different game plan.

TC is a "Coaching Staff Bust".

Never entered my mind when I burned the #1 overall waiver priority a few weeks back that I'd be praying for a Cunningham injury by week 6. 

I can't think of a scenario where I'd start him in BAL. BAL can be had by some offense but not this offense. This could be another really ugly game. Only hope the Bears have is to hand off to Howard on 90% snap rate and then have Benny show off his renowned pass-blocking chops while the project rookie QB lobs it end-over-end repeatedly to a bunch of no-name WRs.