pierceNKC

Luis Castillo 2017 Outlook

On 8/10/2017 at 0:06 PM, street sharks said:

Where did people get the idea he has good strikeout upside when he wasn't a big K guy in the minors?

Well, for one the stuff is there and is better than it has been.. Why? 

1) As stated multiple times in this thread, he's working with a new pitching staff that is treating him as a starter and has him throwing a slider instead of a curveball.. The slider has plus potential with two plane break which gives him a better breaking ball than he had with the Marlins. 

2) A SWSTR% (12%) that would put him around the top 15 in baseball is a good indicator that he has swing and miss stuff if he qualified versus the others. 

3) Comparing his AA K/9 with the Marlins to the Reds.. 7.71 for the Marlins and 9.07 with the Reds.. Both teams are in the same league (Southern League).. It's entirely possible that this new staff has found things they can tweak.. The Marlins didn't even plan on keeping him as a starter.. the Reds obviously saw something that the Marlins didn't. I'll also point out that it's generally counter productive to look at and base decisions off of minor league stats. While he was in the minors the Reds/Marlins could've had him specifically working on one pitch that wasn't missing a lot of bats.. IE the changeup because it was generally said to be behind the curve/slider.. From what I've read in scouting reports, scouts seem to think the upside is there. 

It could be Casttilo is just a late bloomer... he really didn't get a whole lot of pub until mid-season in 2016 when BP slapped a 60 grade on him. That's the first time I heard about him.. He's got some stuff to work out, however, I think the strikeout upside is there. 

Edited by JenksDodger
  • Like 4

Sadly this guy's only got 3-5 more starts left in him this season before he gets shut down.

2016 IP: 128.2

2017 IP: 146.2

Can't imagine he goes much past 165.0 IP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WaKe21334 said:

Shameful he is 2-7. Yet a guy like Zach Davies has 14 wins.

My thoughts exactly... Castillo is a beast

Got to be one of the best out of nowhere dark horse prospect pitchers in some time.  Carrasco and deGrom also came up under the radar too.  Love when this stuff happens.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Got to be one of the best out of nowhere dark horse prospect pitchers in some time.  Carrasco and deGrom also came up under the radar too.  Love when this stuff happens.

Carrasco was a highly rated prospect who had piss poor results from 2009 thru 2013 and finally got it together in 2014

• Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 0:06 PM, street sharks said:

Where did people get the idea he has good strikeout upside when he wasn't a big K guy in the minors?

On 8/10/2017 at 1:11 PM, street sharks said:

Nothing more than a streamer (this season)

K'd 9 last night against a team that is in top 4 in strikeouts per game.. last 3 games are an example of the strikeout upside we saw.. K'd 8 against the braves in 4IP who was top 6 in strikeouts per game. 

3.26era, 1.14whip, 9.66 K/9 now for the season.. Pretty dang good fantasy starter in any league.. nonetheless, a lot better than a streamer.

Much kudos to the Reds pitching staff.. They've been awesome working with Castillo this season.. I'll admit I was a bit bummed when he was moved to the Reds, as the Reds hadn't had much luck developing starters as of late.. I was wrong. 

Love the upside here in the seasons ahead.. 

• Like 1

As much as I love Castillo I can't figure out why it seems the Marlins tried everything possible to get rid of this guy.  

First to the Pads and then the Reds.  Maybe they thought he couldn't be a starter.  

• Like 1

It looks like he's going to get 2 more starts, maybe 3 and that's it. So glad I scooped him in my points keeper. Gonna enjoy the last few starts and hope he can log 200 IP next year.

2 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It looks like he's going to get 2 more starts, maybe 3 and that's it.

Link?

Saw it on CBS player news:

by RotoWire Staff
(2 hrs ago) Castillo may only make one or two starts in September before being shut down for the season, Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Though he's recorded wins in just two of his 13 starts, Castillo has been the Reds' top starter since making the leap from Double-A Pensacola to the majors in late June, submitting a 3.26 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and a 9.7 K/9 rate. However, since he's already accumulated 157.2 innings between both levels and the Reds have previously stated that they would like to keep the rookie around 165 innings for 2017, a shutdown seems imminent for Castillo. While that will limit Castillo's utility for fantasy owners the rest of the way, manager Bryan Price indicated it won't have any bearing on the right-hander's status heading into 2018. Price has already stated that the 24-year-old is a lock to open next season as a member of the rotation.

• Like 3

Hopefully they at least use him out of the pen in September. Just put him out there for an inning at a time and let him throw 90% sliders so he can improve that pitch. What else do they have to play for? Just shutting the guy down cold with a month to go seems dumb. 

I guess Castillo wanted to go out with a bang. Fantastic stuff and fantastic performance. I will definitely be drafting this dude next season. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I guess Castillo wanted to go out with a bang. Fantastic stuff and fantastic performance. I will definitely be drafting this dude next season. 

same

is he done? still under 100 pitches

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Ya, this guy went from spec wire pickup to keeper over the course of a couple months.  Looks like an ace.

absolutely filthy. better raw stuff than Severino imo. Berrios has the breaking ball advantage, but I'll take Castillo's fastballs. 

he knows how to pitch, too. Looks to me like a burgeoning legitimate ace who more or less came out of no where. 

like others have said, helluva way to go out!

(if only I hadn't streamed Blake Snell this morning and sabotaged my fantasy playoff matchup)

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS