JakeSarna

Garrett Hampson COL - SS/IF

I've been holding back starting a post on him because I just assumed someone was about to start it daily. But my love for pure hitters with high baseball IQs, speed, along with great plate discipline is too much for me to hold in. Now I know he's playing at Lancaster, which is probably the most hitter friendly park in the minors since High Desert became defunct but it doesn't worry me anymore since it became Colorados affiliate last year, also he tore up possibly the most pitcher friendly home + league last year in short season. Anyways Hampsons current stats are:

PA - 303

AB - 265

AVG - .321

OBP - .385

2B - 14

3B - 5

HR - 3

RUN - 63

RBI - 36

SB - 19

CS - 4

K's - 43

BB's - 29

K% 14.2  - BB% 9.6

BABIP - .366

WRC+ - 129

Now I'm deff not the biggest fan of comps so early in their minor league careers but I remember loving an under the radar, no love from scouts, Charlie Blackmon. At the time Blackmon was strictly a pure hitter with speed. And no power. But what stuck out about Blackmon a bit more was his ability to get XBH at an elite level and adjusting it for his speed, you were able to see future power in his bat.

So I'm deff not saying Hampson is the next Charlie Blackmon, I'm just pointing out the similarities in both their seasons in short season and then their first full pro season (so far). It's hard to tell whether Hampson will ever develop power but if he stays in Colorado, his plus hit tool, plus speed, plus plate discipline and double plus baseball IQ are perfect ingredients for a potential fantasy star. And Hampson just knows how to steal bases. He practically never gets caught stealing. So his 65 grade speed will play up even more if he continues to master the art of base stealing.

The biggest knock on Hampson is his defense. I've heard varying reports on his improvements there this year but he still has time to continue developing it.

Current/Future Grades (20-80)

Hit Tool: 50/60

Power Tool: 35/45

Speed: 65/65

Defense: 45/55

Arm: 50/50

Plate Discipline: 55/60

Overall: 45/55

Most Recent Scouting Report

When the Colorado Rockies drafted Long Beach State shortstop Garrett Hampson last year in the third round, the Troy Tulowitzki comparisons were all too easy but ultimately not very fair: Garrett Hampson’s game and ultimate projection are strong, but fall somewhere short of a legitimate star like Tulo. Hampson is spending 2017 with the Lancaster JetHawks in the High-A California League—a hitter’s paradise—and entering Saturday night he was holding his own at the plate with a .297/.350/.363/.713 slash line and a double, a homer, eight walks, and seven stolen bases in his first 21 games. That slash is appropriate for Hampson, who can handle the bat and barrel the ball but won’t ultimately hit for much power, even in the Cal League.

Hampson’s value comes predominantly from his defensive prowess. His range at shortstop is phenomenal and readily apparent even just through his first few Cal League games. He gets great reads on the ball off the bat at both shortstop and second base, and he can range well into the hole and up the middle to make plays. His arm strength doesn’t match his foot speed right now, though, and there are plays he’ll make fielding a ball deep in the hole at short only to be unable to turn and fire a perfect strike to first base. To that end, his future may either come at second base or, considering his bat, more likely as a utility infielder.

Hampson is patient and mature at the plate, and he’s already taking professional at-bats: slow and measured, with an obvious plan and understanding of the situation in which he’s hitting, and no rush to get out of the box. He has good hand-eye coordination and can put the barrel on the ball consistently, but he’s not overly strong and won’t hit for significant power. His foot speed is above average, though, and that coupled with his contact skills make him a tough out in the Cal League and could push him through the minors relatively quickly.

Long term, Hampson reminds me a great deal of Jamey Carroll, the former longtime big league utility infielder: never a ton of power, but good contact skills, good overall athleticism, and the glove work good enough to play wherever needed in the infield. With significant infield talent already in the big leagues (Nolan Arenado, DJ LeMahieu, Trevor Story), and prospects quickly coming (Ryan McMahon, Brendan Rodgers), it’d make sense to eventually see Hampson as a super-utility type in that Carroll mold, with great defense across the infield and the ability to handle the bat well enough when called upon. If Garrett Hampson’s career turns out remotely as successful as Carroll’s, then, it’d be a draft-and-development win for the Colorado Rockies.

To visit Garrett Hampson’s player page, please click here.

+++

Garrett Hampson scouting report: 140 characters or less

A glove-first defensive whiz with good foot speed and contact skills, Garrett Hampson has all the makings of a very good utility infielder.

+++

Garrett Hampson scouting report video

Here’s a look at our most recent Garrett Hampson video, taken during a mid-April series for the JetHawks against the San Jose Giants:

For more Garrett Hampson video, and other videos of hundreds more baseball prospects, subscribe to our YouTube channel here.

Garrett Hampson scouting report GIFs

In addition to our video clips, we broke out some Garrett Hampson baseball GIFs for a deeper look at swing mechanics, etc.:

For more Garrett Hampson baseball GIFs, you can follow our GIPHY account here.

+++

garrett hampson scouting report garrett hampson colorado rockies

+++

Colorado Rockies prospects on Facebook

Colorado Rockies prospects on Twitter

In this Colorado Rockies / Garrett Hampson baseball scouting report

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

He's been featured a few times now on Fangraphs Fringe Five and I went ahead and picked him up in my super deep dynasty league. However, it more speculative as I didn't know too much about him. Thanks for the background info it was really awesome to read up on.

I love his approach and the fact that he is hitting so many XBHs gives me hope he can develop a bit more power in the future, but I'm not really sure how much projectability in the power department he has left since he is already 22. He could be gold in points league though that penalize Ks and reward walks and XBH hits and obviously he'll be a great source of speed no matter what format.

• Like 2

Okay, so not sure why there isn't much hype around this guy, especially for fantasy purposes...

1) 40+ SB speed

2) Great plate discipline and strike zone knowledge, figures to be a legit .370+ OBP guy

3) Great hit tool, figures to hit .280+

4) Not much power, but enough to muster double digit home runs

5) Excellent defensively and will remain in the MI, most likely 2B

He could be in talks to be part of the lineup by 2019, or possibly a september call up. Very polished, potential .300/10/40 type bat. Incredibly invaluable at 2B. 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

Okay, so not sure why there isn't much hype around this guy, especially for fantasy purposes...

1) 40+ SB speed

2) Great plate discipline and strike zone knowledge, figures to be a legit .370+ OBP guy

3) Great hit tool, figures to hit .280+

4) Not much power, but enough to muster double digit home runs

5) Excellent defensively and will remain in the MI, most likely 2B

He could be in talks to be part of the lineup by 2019, or possibly a september call up. Very polished, potential .300/10/40 type bat. Incredibly invaluable at 2B. 

Thoughts?

Love me some Hampson. Own him in a deep league of mine and it blows my mind how no one thinks anything of him so you are not the only one.

All that and he gets to play in Coors potentially.

• Like 1

Gets stuck with the "scrappy white guy" label but if he was black or latino he would probably be way higher on prospect lists. 

You read some blurbs on him and they're like, "Borderline 80 speed with excellent plate discipline and great contact skills. Should be a utility guy."

Then you think, Uhh what? Sounds like more than a utility guy. 

1 hour ago, dod959 said:

Gets stuck with the "scrappy white guy" label but if he was black or latino he would probably be way higher on prospect lists. 

You read some blurbs on him and they're like, "Borderline 80 speed with excellent plate discipline and great contact skills. Should be a utility guy."

Then you think, Uhh what? Sounds like more than a utility guy. 

the reason Hampton doesn’t get a ton of attention I think is because he is a bit old for his league.  Same for his black teammate who has much better wheels, Rogers, who is a year older.

they need to do something in AA this season to get some attention.  And if they do, attention will be given!

13 hours ago, Numark said:

the reason Hampton doesn’t get a ton of attention I think is because he is a bit old for his league.  Same for his black teammate who has much better wheels, Rogers, who is a year older.

they need to do something in AA this season to get some attention.  And if they do, attention will be given!

Only his 2nd season, but yeah I agree, this year will be huge. If he can continue to mash the way he's doing in AA, then all systems go. If he can develop some power this year, could have a meteoric rise a la Bo Bichette; Top 20 prospect.

I like Hampson to a point, and actually own him in a 15-man minors dynasty league as a lottery ticket speed guy. Just want to point out that Hamson's profile never really had power at all (30 grade), and his draft profile read as follows: 

There's no power to speak of, but if he hits he could be a speedy every day guy on the right side of the infield. At worst, there's a high probability of him becoming a valuable utilityman at the big league level.

So the power growth last year was unexpected, and also came at Lancaster in the CAL league, which is known as one of the best hitting environments (elevation related) in all of minor league baseball. Just take a look at his home/road splits last year:

.350/.406/.532 with 6 HRs at Home
vs.
.300/.366/.383 with 2 HRs on the Road

Another good example is Brendan Rodgers last year destroying that league playing half his games at Lancaster, before dealing with some struggles once he got to AA. So Hampson is a guy that scouts want to see hit for power outside of those Lancaster confines before buying into the hype. Still, Hampson has quality contact skills with a nice approach and very nice speed so he could be a valuable fantasy piece for sure. It certainly helps that he could play his home games at Coors in the future!

Posted (edited)

Red Hot to start spring training. 1HR and 3SB in 18PAs 1.000+ OPS. Should get a lot of love this year if he hits outside of Lancaster.

Edited by Dirtywater97

Posted (edited)

Any speculation on when his first full major league season will be? 

Edited by EmbargoLifted

Big year for him. He stole 51 last year but I would realistically cut that number in half for his potential major league SB yearly total. He's older than most prospects but is definitely one to watch. The older prospects (22-23 years old) are always questionable to me.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I could see AAA this year for sure if he hits in AA.

I think he may be in consideration as a trade chip for the Rockies with how crowded that infield is. I actually worry about that with Welker as well. Rodgers is probably the one they are holding onto the most and I suppose a lot will depend on Arenado and his/their intentions with him when it comes to extending him in the future.

If he was traded I think it could accelerate his timeline depending on where. Also it could increase the likely hood of him sticking at short as well.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

im all over this kid now---poster above me is right that if he could more power he could be similar to blackmon---his strikeout to walk ratio is really good with his speed and ability to hit---drafted him with my last pick in my prospect draft 2night

I think he makes it to AAA this year. 

Lemahieu is gone next year so there will be an opening for Rodgers and/or Hampson. But Hampson is athletic enough to become a super utility guy and play 2b/ss/3b and OF. He could be good enough to be on or near the ML roster next year. 

Older prospects always get slept on but he couldn't control where he played. What if his 130 wRC+ in A+ translated to 120 in AA? He had an .880 OPS in the 2nd half. He could have been in AA. 

On 3/19/2018 at 2:40 AM, EmbargoLifted said:

Roster Resource has his MLB ETA at mid 2019.

• Like 1

Story/Valaika are trending down big time this year. Hampson outperforming Rodgers at the same level by a big margin. 

Outside shot at a call up considering his 23. Rockies might go with him over Rodgers first as to not rush Rodgers. 

Hampson with 148 wRC+ and 5 steals, 0 CS.

K% the same as A+ last year, around 11%. 

• Like 2

Tearing up AA and maintaining a solid SLG (4 2B & 1 3B) which were his biggest question marks.

Out performing Brendan Rodgers and walking more than he has K'd to go along with 7SB.

Also mods - anyway we could get his 2 separate threads consolidated?

• Like 3

9 walks, 11 steals, 4 strikeouts in 55 ABs. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, My Roy Williams Tramp Stam said:

Wow im impressed with Hampton-So fun to watch too-Great plate discipline-amazing hit tool and knows how to steal. Im all over this one!

I'm not sure about Hampton, but I sure know Hampson looks great so far. 

• Haha 1

Lots of blockage ahead of him. Arenado, Story, and DJ locked in and several washed up guys plus McMahon clogging first. OF might be the biggest logjam. He needs to start catching or pitching if he wants to see the majors this year. 

It's still early, and his XBHs are helpful, but I'd love to see maybe one or two home runs. Plate discipline and contact skills seem to be solid, no worries there. But if he has a hint of power, could be super valuable. If not, he's what.. Ben Revere on the infield or Dee Gordon best case scenario?