JakeSarna

Garrett Hampson COL - SS/IF

2 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

It's still early, and his XBHs are helpful, but I'd love to see maybe one or two home runs. Plate discipline and contact skills seem to be solid, no worries there. But if he has a hint of power, could be super valuable. If not, he's what.. Ben Revere on the infield or Dee Gordon best case scenario?

I'd lean more to Dee Gordon. Less steals (30-40) and slightly more power. I think he could hit close to 10HR at Coors. If you play OBP or Points he is also WAY more valuable because of all the walks - Gordon is a much more aggressive hitter. 

His AA affiliate is also up in Hartford, CT. I bet we start to see some more HRs when the weather starts heating up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

It's still early, and his XBHs are helpful, but I'd love to see maybe one or two home runs. Plate discipline and contact skills seem to be solid, no worries there. But if he has a hint of power, could be super valuable. If not, he's what.. Ben Revere on the infield or Dee Gordon best case scenario?

I think he has a bit more pop, a bit more OBP and a bit more contact skill than those 2 guys. 

He can get to 10 bombs in Colorado for sure. These guys with bat control always hit more bombs than you expect because they can sell out for power. They can sell out for pull power in favorable conditions. They just haven't done it yet. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2018 at 8:09 AM, osb_tensor said:

Ask and you shall receive -  Since you posted this he has hit two bombs in his last four games. Doesn't sound like much, to write home about, but with this dudes wheels if he can grow into 15+ bombs (playing at Coors) he will be a monster. I think for strictly fantasy purposes, this dude is verrry underrated. 

• Like 3

Homered today and homered yesterday. Four homers on the year.

12 XBH and 15 Ks. 5% swinging strike rate. 

15 SBs and 1 caught. 

.297/.390/.483

Performance has gone up in AA relative to his performance in A+ last year. This guy is like a slam dunk top 20 fantasy prospect with absolutely no attention. 

• Like 3

On 5/9/2018 at 4:27 PM, aMediumPace said:

Any speculation on his ETA? 

I think he'll be up this year. He's 23 years old and is ready defensively. The Rockies can basically put his bat anywhere except 3B or CF and probably come out ahead. As soon as he gets a single rep in the OF then add him to your team lol. 

6 minutes ago, dod959 said:

I think he'll be up this year. He's 23 years old and is ready defensively. The Rockies can basically put his bat anywhere except 3B or CF and probably come out ahead. As soon as he gets a single rep in the OF then add him to your team lol. 

For whatever it's worth, Hampson has already started two (and played full) games in CF this season. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So far in AA this year (32 games)

.306 BA

.404 OBP%

.488 SLG%

4 homers

20 walks

13 strikeouts

15 stolen bases (1 caught stealing)

It's important to keep in mind that the Rockies AA team plays in the Eastern League, which is not an inflated offensive environment.

So... wow. That's really promising stuff for a prospect who would have an opportunity to play half his games in Coors. The strikeout-to-walk rate is particularly promising.

With the assistance of Coors, it seems like there could be upside for batting average, stolen bases, and runs scored here. If he reaches his potential he profiles as a leadoff hitter.

The downside here is that he has so little power that it holds him back from ever being an everyday player.

DJ LeMahieu is a free agent after the current season. Something to keep in mind as far as openings in the Rockies lineup. They've also tried Hampson in the outfield a little this year.

Overall, worth a flyer. 

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 2

4 HRs and .488 SLG through 32 games in "not an inflated offensive environment" for a player who would play 81 games in Coors sounds like he has enough power to be an everyday player to me, but that's JMHO.

Only thing I don't like is that the Rockies seem allergic to promoting guys. He's got Rodgers, Dahl, Tapia, McMahon to compete with. 

54 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Only thing I don't like is that the Rockies seem allergic to promoting guys. He's got Rodgers, Dahl, Tapia, McMahon to compete with. 

DJ LeMahieu is going to be a FA after this year, and there's really no other competition for 2B unless Story or Rodgers would move over.  I could see Hampson taking over that spot if he can keep this production up all year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tayne said:

DJ LeMahieu is going to be a FA after this year, and there's really no other competition for 2B unless Story or Rodgers would move over.  I could see Hampson taking over that spot if he can keep this production up all year.

Well but Story and Rodgers both exist though and only two of the three can play so it might be tough 

34 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

Well but Story and Rodgers both exist though and only two of the three can play so it might be tough 

Sometimes there’s trades

His numbers will most likely go up in the PCL. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Charlie said:

2-3 , 2 runs scored with another at bat still to come in his AAA debut

I didn’t know we had this guy on in game updates like he was Vlad Jr. or Soto now lol. 

With Dj dealing with the fracture and the thumb, anyone think he could make his way up to Coors here shortly?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

I didn’t know we had this guy on in game updates like he was Vlad Jr. or Soto now lol. 

With Dj dealing with the fracture and the thumb, anyone think he could make his way up to Coors here shortly?  

Sorry Larry next time I’ll run

it by you first before posting. I find speed guys that can get on base consistently like this more intriguing than power bats. Actually harder to come by .

The Rockies appear to be aggressive with him and with DJ a FA , if Hampson hits I think we will see him.

Edited by Uncle Charlie

1 hour ago, Uncle Charlie said:

Sorry Larry next time I’ll run

it by you first before posting. I find speed guys that can get on base consistently like this more intriguing than power bats. Actually harder to come by .

The Rockies appear to be aggressive with him and with DJ a FA , if Hampson hits I think we will see him.

I was more joking to the people who also follow the Soto and Vlad thread closely like I do. I am a Hampson fan and think he can be an impact guy, so I appreciate the update. 

But yeah, go ahead and run it by me before anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, LarryDavid said:

I think he's in Colorado before the year is up. He's already 23 and sound defensively, so there's really no risk in those two areas. They gave him 500+ ABs in A+ last year and only 150 in AA this year? Looks like they just said F IT, let's get him on the fast track. 

• Like 1

To add on to the twitter posts above, DJL seems like he's out a few weeks at least (sounds like 3+).  After his injury, they moved McMahon to 2B in AAA (in the same game), then started McMahon at 2B until Hampson arrived.  Last night, Hampson played 2B and McMahon was back at 1B.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Much like Trevor Story, Hampson has been lauded for his intangibles at every stop so far.

Edited by Str8Cash

Hapton played all last season in A+. this season he only played 38 games in AA before being promoted to AAA.

this recently from fangraphs.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-22-prospects-colorado-rockies/

Drafted: 3rd Round, 2016 from Long Beach State
Age 22 Height 5’11 Weight 185 Bat/Throw R/R
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
40/55 40/40 30/35 70/70 45/50 50/50

Hampson has been on the scouting radar forever (he was a multi-year infielder on the collegiate Team USA) but is only now starting to convince some scouts he can stay at shortstop. The rest of the profile is grounded in bat-to-ball skills and premium speed, which has helped him more in the lower minors than it will as he faces fundamentally sound defenders in Double-A and up. There’s a strong chance he’s a utility man, but Hampson is trending upward and starting to convince more scouts that he could play every day.

this from April 10 from fantraxhq..

https://www.fantraxhq.com/dynasty-dugout-infield-breakout-prospects/

Garrett Hampson (2B/SS – COL)

Org Rank: 5th, Level: AA, ETA: 2019

The Colorado organization has a long track record of pumping out high-upside hitting prospects. Most of whom contribute handsomely in the power department, but not so much on the base paths. Sure, you have your 20+ steal threats like David Dahl and Charlie Blackmon, but none have been considered plus speedsters. That’s soon to change.

Garrett Hampson is exactly what you would consider a plus speedster. Across 789 at-bats in 2016-17, Hampson swiped 87 bases while being caught only 18 times. That’s an 82.9% success rate. On top of that, Hampson has a good approach at the plate, can work the count well, and doesn’t strike out that often. He struck out only 77 times in 603 plate appearances last season at High Class-A Lancaster, good for a 12.8 K%.

Hampson won’t factor into the picture this season, but a debut in 2019 seems likely if the Rockies can make a spot for him. His plus hit tool and speed should allow him to be a valuable fantasy asset if he can get the at-bats. I’ll be attending the Hartford/New Hampshire game on Saturday, and he’s one I’ll be keeping an eye on.

would the Rockies call him up soon if he can continue hitting in AAA?