JakeSarna

Garrett Hampson COL - SS/IF

Posted (edited)

The fact that Fangraphs gave Hampson a 50 hit tool potential and 40 current is absurd IMO. Dude has had swinging strike % under 6% the past 2 seasons, but what do I know *shrugs*.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

getting the call

Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post writes that the Rockies calling up infield prospect Garrett Hampson to play second base while DJ LeMahieu (thumb) is out is a "possibility."

LeMahieu has been diagnosed with a small fracture in his left thumb and could be sidelined for up to three weeks. Hampson was just promoted to Triple-A Albuquerque on Thursday and picked up three hits in his first game after batting .304/.391/.466 with for homers and 19 steals at Double-A Hartford. His speed would make him really intriguing for fantasy purposes if he does get a shot. The Rockies could also consider giving Ryan McMahon a shot at second base, although he played first base for Albuquerque on Thursday while Hampson handled second.

Source: Denver Post
May 18 - 1:57 PM

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Dang, got all excited and didn't finish reading!

going limp now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even if he gets the call, what are his options after DJ is back? Seems to be pretty clogged up everywhere, with several guys besides him in the minors that aren’t far off. 

4 hours ago, jb_power said:

getting the call

Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post writes that the Rockies calling up infield prospect Garrett Hampson to play second base while DJ LeMahieu (thumb) is out is a "possibility."

LeMahieu has been diagnosed with a small fracture in his left thumb and could be sidelined for up to three weeks. Hampson was just promoted to Triple-A Albuquerque on Thursday and picked up three hits in his first game after batting .304/.391/.466 with for homers and 19 steals at Double-A Hartford. His speed would make him really intriguing for fantasy purposes if he does get a shot. The Rockies could also consider giving Ryan McMahon a shot at second base, although he played first base for Albuquerque on Thursday while Hampson handled second.

Source: Denver Post
May 18 - 1:57 PM

OMG OMG OMG! ..oh wait is a possibility. premature excitement.

• Like 1

what is the best case for Hampson this season?

some speculation he would get called up to play 2B with LeMahieu injured. but even then if Hampson was hitting well there would have to be nowhere to play him once LeMahieu returns.

since the Rockies are in 1st and likely contending all season it would have to be unlikely they trade free agent to be LeMahieu?

the Rockies could trade Hampson to get better this season, but I don't want to hope for trading a player away from Colorado.

3 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

what is the best case for Hampson this season?

some speculation he would get called up to play 2B with LeMahieu injured. but even then if Hampson was hitting well there would have to be nowhere to play him once LeMahieu returns.

since the Rockies are in 1st and likely contending all season it would have to be unlikely they trade free agent to be LeMahieu?

the Rockies could trade Hampson to get better this season, but I don't want to hope for trading a player away from Colorado.

Hampson can most likely play 2b/SS and any OF position pretty easily. It's up to the Rockies to decide if they want to use him as a super utility guy and help replace dead weights like Parra, Desmond and Cargo. 

They don't seem to want to do that, so he probably only comes up if Story or LeMahieu suffer another injury down the line. 

Very exciting middle infielder with plus plus speed! Struggled a bit after getting promoted to AAA, so I don't see him getting promoted to MLB soon.

How was he just excluded from the fangraphs top 131???

5 hr 37 bb 36 k 26 sb 4 ca .306/.401/.861

Thats between AA and AAA and he has nearly identical slash lines in both.  

What am I missing here?

• Like 3

Also has another homer pending from a suspended game. Slash line went up in AAA. 

Fangraphs is not aggressive in changing their initial rankings. 

Speaking of him, I've noticed that he's been playing 2B, SS, and CF in Triple-A so far. Maybe grooming him for a utility role with the big club at some point this season?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BackyardBaseball said:

How was he just excluded from the fangraphs top 131???

5 hr 37 bb 36 k 26 sb 4 ca .306/.401/.861

Thats between AA and AAA and he has nearly identical slash lines in both.  

What am I missing here?

He has huge fantasy upside as a Rockie who steals bases, but he's less exciting as a real-life prospect. He's already 23, his hit tool is good but not a ton of power, and he's a solid but unspectacular defender without a clear MLB position. He's probably one of the better 45 FVs on their list but I can see why he's not a 50.

If you guys want to see something crazy just head to Fangraphs and look at the ROS projections for batting average from Steamer. 

Trout .305

Altuve .305

LeMahieu .303

Hampson .302

Murphy .301

Betts .301

Vlad Jr. .297

Brantley .294

Soto .294

Freeman .294

Steamer has Hampson at .302/.360/.429 at the MLB level. 

I keep trying to understand how this guy is not a monster fantasy prospect but I just can't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dod959 said:

Fangraphs is not aggressive in changing their initial rankings. 

I was pretty surprised by a number of names on their list, so I'd concur with this statement.  The placement of Joey Wentz on the list is what stood out to me - I've been following him closely as I owned him in dynasty, but he hasnt pitched in over a month and had a mediocre season going at High-A before that...and now he's officially been declared out with an undisclosed injury.  While Wentz was hot over the off-season, he has done nothing to stay in anyone's top 100 since and, in my opinion, midseason prospect lists should reflect that.

When it comes to Hampson, I'm holding him and think he'll be super valuable in fantasy once he gets up to the bigs.  The Rockies' middle infield has a bit of logjam, though, so I wouldnt hold my breath for him to make a meaningful fantasy contribution this year.  

I would love to see Hampson in the majors, but where would he even play?

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

I would love to see Hampson in the majors, but where would he even play?

parra, desmond, and mcmahon are all negative in WAR on the season. if he can adequately play CF, SS, and 2b there are definitely locations where he could potentially be an upgrade over the incumbent rockies, even as a utility man. the perceived problem is that the FO cares as much about contracts/money as they do on-the-field performance.

5/5 and 2 sbs today. Up to .308 in AAA and a .843 OPS with a suspended game still to add in which he homered. 

• Like 2

Batting .306 with a .392 OBP and 30 stolen bases this year in AA/AAA

This kid is definitely ready for the call, just needs a spot for steady at bats.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Steve gar said:

Batting .306 with a .392 OBP and 30 stolen bases this year in AA/AAA

This kid is definitely ready for the call, just needs a spot for steady at bats.

Isn't that the story with every Colorado prospect?

• Like 1

Yeah the Rockies have turned into possibly the worst franchise to own a prospect for in terms of development. 

my gf and ii came to visit NM for her job interview-we went to the ABQ game today and Hampson is extremely impressive watching in person-went 3 for 4 with a 2runHR today and is now up to .321 avg

remember watching a young adam eaton in ari system @visalia and gotta say that hampson completely reminds me of him hitting wise-hampson actually seems to have a better hit tool then eaton in the minors but they are both grinders yet patient and I could only hope hampson stays healthy in the majors

• Like 2