JenksDodger

Estevan Florial, OF NYY

I'm glad to see some love for Florial here. This kid is very special. I'm dying to own him in my dynasty league but I just can't make room, I don't have a large farm system, only 9 (Been fighting my friend/commish to expand but no dice) and my other prospects, I just can't let go of any. But florial is one of those prospects that causes me to lose sleep until I own him because I just have to own him.

I'm still trying to get used to the way the Yankees are now using and developing their prospects. For years I avoided them because I knew they would be in minors for years and once they got to AAA, they stayed there for a long time. I believe after the Yankees witnessed what the Cubs did a couple of years before they won the WS, they decided to take their farm system seriously again. It's what built their dynasty in the 90s. Yeah they traded for a bunch of players too but their core was homegrown. I'm surprised it took them until recently to realize that...

Anyways I love Florial. Hell I'm super crazy about Nick Solak too. I think Solak is way too underrated. But Florial, is their next big time superstar hitter (Im obviously leaving out guys like Torres since he's a big time name already).

Edited by JakeSarna

He's fairing well in the fall league so far.. which is a good sign... I think Florial will be one of the guys that has massive jump in the rankings... Top 20 potential and maybe even top 10 potential. Guys with his tools do not come around often... A guy that hits with power with 65-70 grade speed is rare.. 

I watched Florial a few times in the Sally this year, probably the most tooled up player I saw all year.   6'1" 210 lbs with plus to plus plus raw and plus speed under way.   The swing is long though and he struggles with breaking pitches.   Anything can happen but I would bet against him becoming a plus hitter in the pros.   If he can get to 50 hit.  .260-.270  that could come with and 25-15.  30-20 feels a little rich but maybe.  

• Like 1

Just took Ellsbury's spot in the lineup due a likely oblique issue. If he's out for a couple weeks, it could give Florial an extended look. Or they could just fill the gap with organizational types and send Florial back to Milb camp anyway. 

5 hours ago, Professor Turgeson said:

Just took Ellsbury's spot in the lineup due a likely oblique issue. If he's out for a couple weeks, it could give Florial an extended look. Or they could just fill the gap with organizational types and send Florial back to Milb camp anyway. 

The Yankees have Gardner and Hicks who can play CF. Throw Frazier in the mix and they have a ton of MLB ready outfielders. Florial wont get so much as a sniff this year

On 3/2/2018 at 6:19 PM, Arrowflinger said:

The Yankees have Gardner and Hicks who can play CF. Throw Frazier in the mix and they have a ton of MLB ready outfielders. Florial wont get so much as a sniff this year

no but gardner might be gone after this year, and hicks after 2019.  frazier can be used as a trade

people are saying florial has 25/25 potential.  you probably wont see him until 2020.  maybe 2019 callup if there are injuries

• Like 1

Florial's still a ways away. He only got a cup of coffee at High-A last year. And with all his raw talent and athletic gifts, he was still striking out 32% of the time at A-ball last year which tells you he needs a lot of development before he's even in consideration for a big league spot. I'd say late 2019 would be the earliest realistic ETA. 

Anyone optimistic on Florials upcoming season?

I read on Fangraphs that he is the definition of a boom or bust candidate. And the data they had shows a high percentage of bust. 

He was injured last year so hopefully he can bounce back. 

On 2/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, 24/7fantasysports said:

Anyone optimistic on Florials upcoming season?

I read on Fangraphs that he is the definition of a boom or bust candidate. And the data they had shows a high percentage of bust. 

He was injured last year so hopefully he can bounce back. 

Real make or break year for him. Eaten alive by breaking balls last year. I think he eventually makes bigs but not convinced he will ever hit for average

Well things aren't going good for him:

X-rays revealed on Saturday that Yankees OF prospect Estevan Florial has a non-displaced right wrist fracture.

Florial crashed into the center-field wall on Saturday, and the team sent their top prospect for x-rays for "precautionary" reasons. The 21-year-old is assuredly going to miss time, but it's not known yet how much the switch-hitter will miss. We'll have more as status updates appear.

Source: Bryan Hoch on Twitter                            Mar 16, 2019, 5:39 PM

Looks like a lost season underway... is he a hold in dynasty leagues or time to give up and make better use of his roster spot? 

56 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

Looks like a lost season underway... is he a hold in dynasty leagues or time to give up and make better use of his roster spot? 

Good question.  I guess it depends on how many players you can hold onto and who else may be available.  Why it may be premature to drop him in a very deep league, if there some pop-up guys that are (or become) available I would not just keep holding for the sake of holding.  Again, depends on the league and ability to protect guys.  From my end, I usually treat my prospects as trade chips so we know with the injury most other owners will be down on him and there is little to no trade value for him, imo, right now which is also what lends to my analysis.

6 hours ago, aMediumPace said:

Totally depends on how deep it is. I'm in a 16 teamer with 4 NA slots and in cutting bait once someone starts to shine this year. Florial was a true boom or bust guy too so this really hurts his value in dynasty IMO. He was already high risk.