Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

machine3

Razzball's Midseason Top 100 Prospects

Message board darlings Fisher/Hoskins/Kingery getting lots of love here.

Overall a good read.

1 hour ago, smarmy said:

Love their list overall, but 32 pitchers in top 100? And no Austin Hays? 

I called this in another thread when someone was confident he would be listed in the top 100. He's close, but I don't think he's a no doubt t100 guy.

Yadier Alvarez down to 95.

Love the aggressive Welker and Jesus Sanches Rankings. Also great to see Edwin Rios make a list (in leagues that have an extra power category like ISO, SLG, or OPS, I feel like he has more value than previously excpected.

Interesting. No Giolito or Reynaldo. Also no Carson Kelly which is an oversight IMO. But the rest of the rankings I really like. 

1 minute ago, 12to6 said:

Interesting. No Giolito or Reynaldo. Also no Carson Kelly which is an oversight IMO. But the rest of the rankings I really like. 

giolito is #82. 

I think this is mostly a fantasy list and I think Carson Kelley, while he will likely be a top 12 (starting in standard leagues) catcher in his prime, I don't really think he's going to be a fantasy difference maker. Seems like a really solid catcher though. His defense isn't factored in.

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

giolito is #82. 

I think this is mostly a fantasy list and I think Carson Kelley, while he will likely be a top 12 (starting in standard leagues) catcher in his prime, I don't really think he's going to be a fantasy difference maker. Seems like a really solid catcher though. His defense isn't factored in.

I was just coming back to edit my post because I found Giolito.

I thought Kelly was a good hitting catcher too and from that perspective shouldn't he have MORE fantasy value?

Thinking more about this list I really like the Sixto ranking but I think Chavis and Verdugo are underrated. Glad to see Gohara on the list though and I wonder if Puk is too low. 

1 minute ago, 12to6 said:

I thought Kelly was a good hitting catcher too and from that perspective shouldn't he have MORE fantasy value?

I feel like we're looking at a low teens peak in power and like a 270 average if I had to guess. Perhaps less in a lot of years too. I mean if you're in a 2 catcher dynasty league with  a decent amount of minor league spots, he should be owned. I think if you're ranking for fantasy and you have pitchers and OFers with much higher upside, it's hard to rank Carson Kelly over them. 

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I feel like we're looking at a low teens peak in power and like a 270 average if I had to guess. Perhaps less in a lot of years too. I mean if you're in a 2 catcher dynasty league with  a decent amount of minor league spots, he should be owned. I think if you're ranking for fantasy and you have pitchers and OFers with much higher upside, it's hard to rank Carson Kelly over them. 

Interesting. one of the BA guys said either in a chat or twitter that they expect him to be a major league solid performer for more than a decade. Long stable good career. That's what made me think that he should be on top 100 lists. 

Just now, 12to6 said:

Interesting. one of the BA guys said either in a chat or twitter that they expect him to be a major league solid performer for more than a decade. Long stable good career. That's what made me think that he should be on top 100 lists. 

Solid performer is vague. I think he should be a t100 prospect in real life. In fantasy? I don't have a problem with him being ranked there, but I also don't have a problem if he isnt.  Besides Mejia, I'm not too excited about any catchers in the minors right now.  Guys like Kelly and Cisco will have value, but I'm not dying to own them unless its a very deep 2 catcher and minors roster league. 

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

Solid performer is vague. I think he should be a t100 prospect in real life. In fantasy? I don't have a problem with him being ranked there, but I also don't have a problem if he isnt.  Besides Mejia, I'm not too excited about any catchers in the minors right now.  Guys like Kelly and Cisco will have value, but I'm not dying to own them unless its a very deep 2 catcher and minors roster league. 

Thats fair. In a league like mine, pitching is premium anyway and I'd much rather have high upside arms in the minors. Which is why I've stockpiled Keller, Allard, McKenzie, Buehler, Glasnow to add to Happ, Bichette, Verdugo, Hoskins and Acuna. 

I'm only allowed 6 mL keepers year to year. Sigh. 

Just now, 12to6 said:

Thats fair. In a league like mine, pitching is premium anyway and I'd much rather have high upside arms in the minors. Which is why I've stockpiled Keller, Allard, McKenzie, Buehler, Glasnow to add to Happ, Bichette, Verdugo, Hoskins and Acuna. 

I'm only allowed 6 mL keepers year to year. Sigh. 

You should join another league where you own a lot more. It's fun. 

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

You should join another league where you own a lot more. It's fun. 

I want to join another deep keeper league but good competitive ones are hard to come by. 

Nice list. Michael Chavis 57, Ryan Mountcastle 64, Colton Welker 67. Lots of forgetting but its nice to see some of these breakout guys getting the attention they deserve.

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I called this in another thread when someone was confident he would be listed in the top 100. He's close, but I don't think he's a no doubt t100 guy.

I wouldn't have him in my top 100 yet. He's close in my opinion.

By far my favorite list I've seen to date by any bigger sites. Obviously, it has it's omissions like any list, but overall I think they nail the top movers the best.

Strong List, I like the Florial and Welker sightings.  I'm much higher on Leody Taveras, #1 in my Sally top 25.  Probably in my top 40 overall. 

Biggest omission Cristian Pache

48 minutes ago, Asheville Sox Fan said:

Strong List, I like the Florial and Welker sightings.  I'm much higher on Leody Taveras, #1 in my Sally top 25.  Probably in my top 40 overall. 

Biggest omission Cristian Pache

Pache is 18 and has done nothing remarkable in his 300 AB in A ball. Unless you have the Maitan hype, 18 year olds dont make the list much, especially speed/average guys.

Not saying he won't be a top prospect some day, but I wouldn't say it's a big omission at this point.

3 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Brandon Marsh is one to keep an eye on.  Like the aggressive ranking.

was shocked to see him make a top 100 over guys who have been in pro ball and mashing for longer, like Austin Hays.  

23 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

was shocked to see him make a top 100 over guys who have been in pro ball and mashing for longer, like Austin Hays.  

BPS - I'm with you, I thought it was super aggressive to put him in the top 100, especially over Hays (or others). I do think though, that Marsh has the chance to be a 5 tool stud.  From a couple guys that follow the LAA, he looked a like a monster in extended spring.  Out for a bit with a sprained thumb, but you guys should definitely keep tabs on him. 

4 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

BPS - I'm with you, I thought it was super aggressive to put him in the top 100, especially over Hays (or others). I do think though, that Marsh has the chance to be a 5 tool stud.  From a couple guys that follow the LAA, he looked a like a monster in extended spring.  Out for a bit with a sprained thumb, but you guys should definitely keep tabs on him. 

I snagged him in a deeper format. I'm super intrigued but there's not a lot to go off of yet. In deep formats you can't really afford to wait. 

15 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Pache is 18 and has done nothing remarkable in his 300 AB in A ball. Unless you have the Maitan hype, 18 year olds dont make the list much, especially speed/average guys.

Not saying he won't be a top prospect some day, but I wouldn't say it's a big omission at this point.

He hasn't shown any pop yet so maybe it is a little early.   He'd make mine though