• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
MONEY BALL

John Collins 2017-2018 Season Outlook

With the Hawks going through a rebuild, he could be playing a decent amount of minutes in his rookie season. 

14/7 with great fg, and improving ft. Also chip in 0.7 blk.

Edited by PuzzBeterson

Watched almost every one of his games in college.  Young man is efficient, super talented, and will continue to improve.  He is going to put up big stats.  Atlanta got a steal in JC.  Should have gone in the lottery IMO.  Game is going to be very fantasy friendly, as he can really shoot it (he didn't in college, but the form is just fine...going to eventually have 3 pt range, but that will take a couple of years).

• Like 1

Deadmon may begin the season as a starter but by the end of the 1st month Collins will be in there. It wouldn't shock me if he wins the job right out of camp. Young man is really really good. 

I'm not following Collins, just here to say that every time I read his me I read it in Arnold's voice, "My name's detective John Collins".

• Haha 1

Ersan will come off the bench. 1 year 6M, they have to spend it somewhere AND have some warm bodies on their roster.

people tend to get carried away with rookies and what they do in summer leagues.  Most coaches make them earn their keep and not piss off the veteran they already have a relationship with.  My bet would be Ersan starts, plays 26 mins, Collins off bench for 22 mins until about Feb IF Collins proves himself.  

Edited by Bachmanity
  • Like 1

I was impressed by his first minutes tonight at the match against Miami. 

Would you pick him in a 12 teams roto or just w8 and see?

12 team Roto? Maybe with a late round pick and hold for the season

I think eventually he's gonna get all the minutes he can handle as they're rebuilding and he's a young big with range

Schroeder, Baze, Prince, Collins, DD might be the starters after the All Star weekend.

Hawks will want to see what they've got

15 rebs in only 20 mins,what a reb monster

13 minutes ago, chicane_here said:

should i grab him and drop kanter? 

I personally wouldn't do that, even in a 12 teamer, it's somewhat of a lateral move. With Kanter you have a guaranteed 17-19 / 7 on good %'s with this horrible Knicks squad. Collins wasn't much of a shotblocker in college (and one of his scouting report criticisms is that he won't be a shotblocker at the next level) and neither is Kanter. I can't see what Collins can do statistically in his rookie year that would somehow surpass what Kanter can already do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

I personally wouldn't do that, even in a 12 teamer, it's somewhat of a lateral move. With Kanter you have a guaranteed 17-19 / 7 on good %'s with this horrible Knicks squad. Collins wasn't much of a shotblocker in college (and one of his scouting report criticisms is that he won't be a shotblocker at the next level) and neither is Kanter. I can't see what Collins can do statistically in his rookie year that would somehow surpass what Kanter can already do. 

Will Keep that in mind.. In the meantime i have to see how the timesharing duties of the Knicks centers do .. till then - sticking with the Turkish delight :P

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, rsxnova said:

He reminds me of Kenneth Faried.

K Faried can't block shots though. This guy looks like he can protect the rim better.

I don't know about you guys, but I like to read nbadraft.net scouting reports on my guys - a lot of people think this website is crap (for mock drafts prior to the NBA draft), but I actually think their scouting reports are bang on and some of the best critiques out there.

For example my thought of Ben Simmons originally was that he was a Lamar Odom / LeBron hybrid (somewhere in the middle), and that was the exact comparison their website had.

If any of you are interested, here's what they had to say about Collins:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/john-collins

There seems to be some differing opinions regarding his shotblocking ability. This scouting report above says he's good, but Draftexpress said he's underwhelming in their video breakdown on Youtube. They attribute it to his length - 6'11 wingspan for a 6'9 guy is not very good at the NBA level; that being said Chriss has a 7 foot wingspan and hes 6'9 but his explosive athleticism/leaping ability/timing allows him to be an elite shotblocker - so those tools may translate for Collins as well considering he's also a freak athlete.

Edited by Lifschitz

NBA Draft is useful for collection of some impressions and data, but their comparisons are bad.

12 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

NBA Draft is useful for collection of some impressions and data, but their comparisons are bad.

At times yes, for example they had Lamb compared to Reggie Miller, but I've also seen them nail many players correctly. It's hit or miss for comparisons, but in the end it matters whether the actual meat of the content is useful, and I think they do a good job breaking down players despite criticism from fans.

Atlanta is a wasteland, so someone has to come up with some value. That frontcourt has NOTHING.. Dedmon can't score, Muscala is a good low-upside role-playing big man, what else is there up front? That's an argument for Collins to drop massive lines. But unlike other top end picks, it's really hard to project how bigs picked in the mid-teens are going to do right off the bat in their rookie season, and with the shortened preseason this year it's not enough data for me to make a reach at his current valuation (right now he's going 7th - 10th in a lot of drafts/mocks I've seen).

I'd much rather take a more proven player in those rounds and get a high upside big in the later rounds (9th - 10th is understandable, I can't make the move at 7). Rookie bigs tend to struggle with inconsistency, foul trouble, covering all the skilled bigs in the NBA, and fatigue issues.

DX says his major red flag is that he's lazy on defense/highly foul prone.. (*cough* don't forget Chriss also had the same criticism and we saw what happened there consistency wise), so that doesn't bode well if he faces potential foul problems at the next level. The vid itself concerns me because all of those defensive lapses are really glaring in the NBA, and coaches have a really short-leash there for allowing you to get burned like this time and again without yanking you as a lesson.

However, it's not a major deterrent from drafting him given the situation/talent at hand, just something to keep in mind if you decide to reach on the guy early.

Edited by Lifschitz

Very intrigued by him right now solely because of the void left by the veterans. I never thought much of Dedmon but he should be the only real obstacle to carving out consistent 30+ mpg