Letitbe793

Royce Lewis-SS/OF-MIN

# 1 pick in the first year player draft who signed quick and already has played 15 games at rookie ball. Good start--batting .323 with solid BB rate of 8.6% and great k rate of 8.6% as well. 2 HRs, 6 for 8 on SBs. Could make it to Low A Cedar Rapids this year. 

5 tool talent who has drawn comparisons by scouts to a young Ian Desmond, which I think is a good comp. Biggest question marks are whether he has the arm to stick at SS where he would obviously be far more valuable than at his fallback positions of 2B or CF. Also his swing has a good bit going on with a leg kick that I think will need to be adjusted before he makes it to the minors to maintain consistent timing. 

Overall I think he's a really nice toolsy prospect who can hit--borderline top 50 guy now. Should be a great fantasy asset, especially if he sticks at short. I traded up to draft him when he fell to the 9th pick in my dynasty league's midseason prospect draft and he seems to be getting less hype than others from the MLB draft this season in fantasy circles but I like him a lot. 

• Like 1

Being a Twins fan I was a bit disappointed we took him over Hunter Greene, but I heard that Greene was not going to sign with us for the money we could afford to pay. We got the best player we could get at a reasonable price saving money for players in later rounds. I think it was a smart move on the part of the Twins. Royce looks like he will be a great five tool player. What the Twins really need is SP, but drafting SP first overall is risky.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AllNoAll said:

Being a Twins fan I was a bit disappointed we took him over Hunter Greene, but I heard that Greene was not going to sign with us for the money we could afford to pay. We got the best player we could get at a reasonable price saving money for players in later rounds. I think it was a smart move on the part of the Twins. Royce looks like he will be a great five tool player. What the Twins really need is SP, but drafting SP first overall is risky.

The money we were willing to pay. They signed the first pick under-slot -- this has been done every draft year since the slotting system was established. This allows the team with the first overall pick to clean-up the rest of the draft by being able to pay more than any prospect can refuse (i.e. Leach, Enlow, Rooker).

With that said, Royce was the player I wanted the Twins to draft most. Highest upside offensive player, best athlete in the draft, willing to sign under slot, and his interview presence is astounding for his age. 

His build is approaching Machado status at 6-2/188 with a couple inches and 30 pounds to go to be in Correa territory. His player comp is Ian Desmond at this moment. 

Too early to say anything with certainty but I imagine Royce will be a fast riser and in the majors before the age of 23 like Buxton and Sano. 

• Like 2

Kid looks amazing so far. He's far too advanced for rookie ball. He's putting up a .320/.409/.490 line with 3HR and 8SB in 115PA, I really wish they'd push him a little and let him play in A ball but it looks like the Twins are content to let him rake in rookie league.

• Like 1

Consider him pushed. For the first time in a dozen years, the Minnesota Twins have promoted an 18 year to Cedar Rapids. He is on average two years younger than the average age in Low-A. He's a year younger than Mauer was when he debuted for Cedar Rapids. 

His final stat line includes fifteen steals, three bombs, and more walks than strikeouts. 

• Like 1

I think this kid’s a star. If he advances like he did last season, a mid-2019 debut isn’t out of the question, which is kinda crazy. 

• Like 1

Is he going to remain at SS, or will he end up in the OF?  Just looking for a best guess. 

9 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Is he going to remain at SS, or will he end up in the OF?  Just looking for a best guess. 

Likely OF based on almost everything I have read from good scouts 

10 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Yeah, most of the discussion I heard puts him in CF, although he's still 18 and the shortstop position at the Major League level is littered with guys who weren't supposed to be able to stick at the position.

i love the load and the way he gets to the ball but i cant help but imagine him struggling with good offspeed stuff. im excited to see how his swing holds up

On 3/24/2018 at 10:18 PM, bigmarc27 said:

I've read that it's mostly a question about the arm strength, which with things like Driveline and just natural maturation of kids growing into their bodies, it's possible Lewis' arm ends up enough to stick at the position.  Reports are conflicting on this though - some say he's got plus arm strength.  Others put it at a 50.  

Some say he lacks the athleticism to stick (or are worried that as he fills out, he'll lose athleticism and won't be able to stick).  Not sure I agree with that given how hyper athletic he is right now.  If Paul DeJong and Corey Seager can play SS, then I think Lewis can probably handle it.  

The most important thing is that the Twins are all in on playing him at SS.  They're fully committed to keeping him there until it's painfully obvious he can't handle it, which gives Lewis every chance to prove he can stay there.  The opportunity is all you can ask for if you own Lewis in a dynasty league.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shamrocks said:

i love the load and the way he gets to the ball but i cant help but imagine him struggling with good offspeed stuff. im excited to see how his swing holds up

I actually think his load could be a lot better.  He doesn't move his hands back at all, he could have that much more space to accelerate the bat.  The center of his body also moves a lot forward (which could make it harder to hit faster fastballs as he moves up).  Leg kick players generally have a little more "belly button" movement than non leg kickers.  But his in this footage is a lot he also has a very big leg kick that may have to get a bit more compact as he moves up the ladder.

OPS climbing month by month. Looks like he's ready for A+ pretty soon. 

I'm a bit surprised that he's already showing as much pop as he has. I envisioned him as a 15HR bat in the majors when I drafted him, but he's already sporting enough power to do that at age 19. Can we dream on something as ridiculous as him becoming a 25HR 40SB player?

• Like 1

I think he  has officially got A ball figured.  He turned 19 less than a month ago and he's now sporting a season line of .321/.369/.498 line with 8HR and 19SB in 23 attempts. Since June 1st .330/.380/.605 5HR 169wRC+.

• Like 2

How the hell does this guy get left off the Futures Game roster??? Unreal

I can not imagine a better start for the #1 overall pick last year, and it's so UNDER-hyped it's absurd...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ShaneMT31 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anyone in Low-A made it, no?

Miguel Amaya did, but remember the Futures games aren't always about who is the best of the best. You have to fulfill team needs, you're really only supposed to go once, etc etc.

1 hour ago, ShaneMT31 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anyone in Low-A made it, no?

Yes you are mistaken, many players from A ball are playing and do every year.

The Twins made a great pick with this guy.  They went against the popular opinion (Greene) and got a guy who saved them money and is probably the better prospect. All around solid tools and fantastic makeup.

Man I was really hoping they'd be a bit more aggressive with him. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if he doesn't see 100 ABs in A+ before the season ends.

5 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Man I was really hoping they'd be a bit more aggressive with him. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if he doesn't see 100 ABs in A+ before the season ends.

Don't hold your breath man. This organization is typically slow with prospects, if my memory is correct. Buxton and Sano are currently burning them. I think they'll be a little gun-shy to rush anyone right now.