RedRaider27

Brandon Ingram 2017-18 Outlook

BI didn't do much last year, but he turned it on at the end of the season and showed flashes of what made him the #2 pick. I don't think anyone expected him to shoot 3s and FTs as bad as he did last season, but he made up for it by playing good/great defense, something not many rookies do. What are your projections for him this season? There's no Paul George, no LBJ to take minutes from him, and BI is now a second year guy on a young team with a point guard who makes everyone around him better. Ingram also looks to be the leader of this team. 

Prime Ingram looks scary. I don't think it's crazy to say in a few years he could put up 23/7/4/1/1 on 45% from the field and 80% from the line, with two 3s. I know after last year many guys probably are thinking he's a bust, but seriously, watch some Lakers games and get a look at this guy. Very good defense, great length, finishes at the rim very well, unselfish on the court, etc. He's got good qualities I like to see in a player. Of course, if LBJ and PG come over next year, he will probably be traded. However, I don't think it matters what jersey this cat will be wearing, I see him doing big things in the league. Any thoughts on this upcoming season and his long term outlook?

• Like 1

I'm a Celtics fan. No thoughts on Brandon Ingram. Except he looks high all the time. Or maybe just sleepy.

Yes I do have a thought.....He won't get traded if Lakers sign LeBron and/or PG. Still on rookie contract and would not have to trade anyone to sign either of those 2.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

BI didn't do much last year, but he turned it on at the end of the season and showed flashes of what made him the #2 pick. I don't think anyone expected him to shoot 3s and FTs as bad as he did last season, but he made up for it by playing good/great defense, something not many rookies do. What are your projections for him this season? There's no Paul George, no LBJ to take minutes from him, and BI is now a second year guy on a young team with a point guard who makes everyone around him better. Ingram also looks to be the leader of this team. 

Prime Ingram looks scary. I don't think it's crazy to say in a few years he could put up 23/7/4/1/1 on 45% from the field and 80% from the line, with two 3s. I know after last year many guys probably are thinking he's a bust, but seriously, watch some Lakers games and get a look at this guy. Very good defense, great length, finishes at the rim very well, unselfish on the court, etc. He's got good qualities I like to see in a player. Of course, if LBJ and PG come over next year, he will probably be traded. However, I don't think it matters what jersey this cat will be wearing, I see him doing big things in the league. Any thoughts on this upcoming season and his long term outlook?

Those are pretty aggressive projections. Basically a Paul George like stat line. He has a lot of work to do to get there, most importantly developing physically. Honestly, I personally wasnt impressed by his game last year. He looked subpar based on the eye test. Of course young players can improve, but i'm not there with him yet. I personally like other young player from the 2016 draft better like Jaylen Brown, Thon Maker, Taurean Prince, Hield, Murray

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dino10k said:

I'm a Celtics fan. No thoughts on Brandon Ingram. Except he looks high all the time. Or maybe just sleepy.

Yes I do have a thought.....He won't get traded if Lakers sign LeBron and/or PG. Still on rookie contract and would not have to trade anyone to sign either of those 2.

You're right, he does look high all the time. 

Why would the Lakers keep him if they sign PG and LBJ? It's not about his contract, it's about there being no room for him. They can't play him at the 2 or the 5. I don't think he would be okay with coming off the bench either. Magic would probably move him for other pieces or more picks.

20 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Those are pretty aggressive projections. Basically a Paul George like stat line. He has a lot of work to do to get there, most importantly developing physically. Honestly, I personally wasnt impressed by his game last year. He looked subpar based on the eye test. Of course young players can improve, but i'm not there with him yet. I personally like other young player from the 2016 draft better like Jaylen Brown, Thon Maker, Taurean Prince, Hield, Murray

PG is his NBA comparison to me. The KD comparisons were made just because of their size. Speaking of his size, why does he have to develop a whole lot physically? They said they same thing about KD and look at him now. Lots of guys in the NBA are really skinny, they just don't get as much attention. Out of the guys you listed, I'd take Ingram ahead of all of them, but I can understand Brown, Murray, and maybe Hield, maybe. 

Keep in mind, those numbers aren't my projections for him this year, those are what I think he could do a few years down the road. He'll put on some weight and some muscle and be fine.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

PG is his NBA comparison to me. The KD comparisons were made just because of their size. Speaking of his size, why does he have to develop a whole lot physically? They said they same thing about KD and look at him now. Lots of guys in the NBA are really skinny, they just don't get as much attention. Out of the guys you listed, I'd take Ingram ahead of all of them, but I can understand Brown, Murray, and maybe Hield, maybe. 

Keep in mind, those numbers aren't my projections for him this year, those are what I think he could do a few years down the road. He'll put on some weight and some muscle and be fine.

Fair comments. The difference I see with regards to weight is that KD didnt get pushed around early in his career the way that BI did last year. Ingram will need to get to playing weight of 210 at a minimum to maximize his skill set imo.  I was surprised with how poor his jump shot was last season. He shot just 29% from 3 last year. Thats concerning for a modern NBA Small Forward. Playing with Ball should be a god send for his value. He and Russell looked like a terrible pairing from my personal observation last year. 

17 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Fair comments. The difference I see with regards to weight is that KD didnt get pushed around early in his career the way that BI did last year. Ingram will need to get to playing weight of 210 at a minimum to maximize his skill set imo.  I was surprised with how poor his jump shot was last season. He shot just 29% from 3 last year. Thats concerning for a modern NBA Small Forward. Playing with Ball should be a god send for his value. He and Russell looked like a terrible pairing from my personal observation last year. 

I get what you mean. BI can be a stretch 4 on offense, but not on defense, at least not right now. His ideal fit is the 3. He does need to put on weight but I don't think it's possible for him to put on that much more. He seems like one of those guys who's just skinny, no matter what. His jump shot concerned me, but ya know what, I just don't think he played with much confidence last year. Towards the end his jumpers started going in more but still not enough. I'm hoping that improves this year. Russell seems like he brought everyone down, I'm so glad he's gone. The Nets can deal with that headache.

Edited by RedRaider27
  • Like 1

Crazy how a guy can be over hyped as both a Rookie and a Sophomore. I have a feeling he will be going too high in drafts for a second year in a row. I'll pass before the last round or two. 

12 minutes ago, Philzilla said:

Crazy how a guy can be over hyped as both a Rookie and a Sophomore. I have a feeling he will be going too high in drafts for a second year in a row. I'll pass before the last round or two. 

He had an 11th round ADP last year and a 10th round ADP this year. Does that really qualify as overhyped?

• Like 3

Yeah i'm not seeing much hype surrounding Ingram besides things the Lakers organization is saying, which would be expected. In fantasy terms i've only seen a few including myself really excited about his prospects this season. His ADP remains low. I see him as one of the best low risk high reward options this year.

The Lakers love this kid and so do I. He has special talent written all over him. Now he's got Lonzo running the show which will help him get nice looks and points in transition. I'm thinking 15/6/3 with a three, steal, and block. I believe in this guy and his work ethic is great. I'm hoping for big things this year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LuSamSiam said:

Yeah i'm not seeing much hype surrounding Ingram besides things the Lakers organization is saying, which would be expected. In fantasy terms i've only seen a few including myself really excited about his prospects this season. His ADP remains low. I see him as one of the best low risk high reward options this year.

Just FYI, he just went 90th in my 8 cat draft. I think there are a lot of people hyped on him as a sleeper target and it only takes one person to reach. 

Personally, I don't understand the appeal. Can someone explain why he is a breakout candidate aside from he grew 2 inches and is lanky and playing SF so he will be a 1/1/1 guy. His game seems like it has flaws to me that people are overlooking because of 1/1/1. Thanks. 

On 9/25/2017 at 3:07 PM, RedRaider27 said:

The Lakers love this kid and so do I. He has special talent written all over him. Now he's got Lonzo running the show which will help him get nice looks and points in transition. I'm thinking 15/6/3 with a three, steal, and block. I believe in this guy and his work ethic is great. I'm hoping for big things this year.

Yup he's already showed 1/1/1 potential.  15/6 is easily attainable.  I've seen similar projections for Taurean Prince, but would probably prefer to take Ingram over Prince.  Thoughts? 

26 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

Yup he's already showed 1/1/1 potential.  15/6 is easily attainable.  I've seen similar projections for Taurean Prince, but would probably prefer to take Ingram over Prince.  Thoughts? 

Yes, I'd take Ingram over Prince. However, I do like Prince this year as a sleeper.

Edited by RedRaider27

3 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

Both are 8-9th round guys, Ingram a little bit ahead.

Ingram will potentially force you to punt fg% all by himself.  Very tough to roster a 9th or 10th round guy who will single-handedly force you to punt, unless you strategically acquire him to fit your punt fg% team build.

15 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Ingram will potentially force you to punt fg% all by himself.  Very tough to roster a 9th or 10th round guy who will single-handedly force you to punt, unless you strategically acquire him to fit your punt fg% team build.

He shot 46% FG post-ASB last year and his shot was improved upon over the summer (KD's coach). He gained 20+ pounds and grew to 6' 11"/7' tall. 

How much do you expect his FG% to regress to the point of having to punt?

• Like 1

40% on the season last year and a green light to jack up threes this year in a much faster system.  Faster system = more volume of shots = more of a detriment to volume fg%.

I don't think he is a low fg% guy. I saw many shots in this one preseason game thay went in and out. Gotta see how the rest of the preseason plays out before I jump to conclusions.

He jacked 15 shots or something this game. That's pretty encouraging.

I dunno i got high FG guys like AD/Jokic in keepers, but I am scared  to draft a guy like Ingram who can reverse all the good my bigs do. What are you guys projecting?

~ 42% ?

45 minutes ago, rage2021 said:

I dunno i got high FG guys like AD/Jokic in keepers, but I am scared  to draft a guy like Ingram who can reverse all the good my bigs do. What are you guys projecting?

~ 42% ?

"Ingram shot just 36.3 percent from the floor over the first half of last season, before bumping that number up to 47.5 percent after the All-Star break." -nba.com

That basically says it all. I'd personally side with the second half of the season but seems like some people thinks he'll be at the full season average of 40%... so 42% sounds like a floor to me.

what? you mean a 19 near old rookie struggled from the field in the 1st half of a season and then had substantial improvement in the 2nd half

who would of guessed

im buying everywhere

• Like 2

On 7/19/2017 at 9:49 AM, RedRaider27 said:

BI can be a stretch 4 on offense, but not on defense, at least not right now. 

BI was much better at defending the 4 than the perimeter. People thought they had mismatches on him in the post, and when they'd go up to score he'd swat the ball away repeatedly. Kind of like what people tried to do to Melo in the playoffs years ago (remember when the Knicks were actually in the playoffs?) when they first started putting him at the 4. Sometimes isoing when you think you have a mismatch isn't the best option.

He does need to put on weight but I don't think it's possible for him to put on that much more. He seems like one of those guys who's just skinny, no matter what. 

Agreed wholeheartedly. Basically all he did last offseason was eat and work out. He didn't gain much weight. Still love him but it'll cap his ceiling if he can't get a body like Durant's by his prime.

His jump shot concerned me, but ya know what, I just don't think he played with much confidence last year. Towards the end his jumpers started going in more but still not enough. I'm hoping that improves this year.

I don't think that's the issue. I expected him to come in and be a league average or slightly worse jump shooter, and he was a disappointment. But this isn't the first time that a guy has struggled with his shot in the transition from college to the pros. It just happens. Long term, he'll definitely be a good shooter. This year? Probably, but it's possible he struggles again.

Edited by miasma16

Ingram through 3 games in preseason so far

8.0 PPG 
4.3 RPG
0.7 APG
8/30 FGM/FGA
26.6 FG%
1/8 3PTM/3PA
12.5 3P%
0.3 BPG
0.6 SPG
24.0 MPG