Gorgeous George

Jonathon Isaac 2017-2018 Season Outlook

I'm thinking he's going to be very buried this coming season and will be avoiding him. 

Add for dynasty are you guys thinking boom or bust?

I'm afraid he's an injury waiting to happen. 

Posted (edited)

I don't know much about him, but it looks like he has the attributes to be something special in the league.

Edited by RedRaider27

Yeah I think he'll be lucky to get 20 minutes per game this season. Probably around 15. Big fan of his game, but the Magic are poor at developing young talent.

2 hours ago, Gorgeous George said:

I'm thinking he's going to be very buried this coming season and will be avoiding him. 

Add for dynasty are you guys thinking boom or bust?

I'm afraid he's an injury waiting to happen. 

Why are you afraid of an injury? 

100% avoid in re-draft leagues because he just isn't physically ready to thrive in the NBA. In dynasty he is in the second tier that consists of about 7 or 8 players. First tier for me is Fultz/Smith/Ball/Fox. 

Well I'm high on him dynasty wise and I think he gets about 25+ minutes/game in March/April when it counts. 

The only thing there is to not like about him would be that he's not on a very fantasy friendly team...and that's about it. If we trust his college stats, he did that all in I think less than 25 minutes/game.

in redraft you obviously don't draft him but in dynasty I think he's a great target. I also think he starts by next season 

• Like 1

Curious to see what ORL will do. Gordon played best at PF last year, so they finally got that right, but watch them try and turn Isaac into something he isnt as well.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Curious to see what ORL will do. Gordon played best at PF last year, so they finally got that right, but watch them try and turn Isaac into something he isnt as well.

The Magic organization is my biggest concern with Issac. They could not have developed Aaron Gordon any worse. Payton. Hezonja. Not great....but, it isn't that Magic anymore. They have Hammond now and he obviously drafted Greek Freak, but aside from that his draft history isn't amazing. Issac has some qualities of Greek, a guard that grew into a forward, so I think they will have a decent clue on how to develop him. My concern isn't enough to scare me off of him in dynasty, but it definitely adds risk to the investment. 

Is that the Magic or Gordon though? Isaac is working with one of the coaches who helped Leonard become an elite player on an elite team. Pop credited this guy as one of the key factors.

Everyone in the Magic org has said that Isaac is ahead of schedule and very impressive. They're gushing over his smarts, size, athleticism and raw talent. Doctors say he's still growing and probably will hit 7'1". In the analytics community Isaac is a total stud, scoring better than everyone BUT Ball.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19681478/most-likely-all-stars-starters-role-players-top-2017-nba-draft

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19403402/potential-2017-nba-draft-steals

I wouldn't probably take a flier on him in re-draft right now but in Dynasty he's a must own. In re-draft he may be a nice add after the all-star break.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Is that the Magic or Gordon though? Isaac is working with one of the coaches who helped Leonard become an elite player on an elite team. Pop credited this guy as one of the key factors.

Everyone in the Magic org has said that Isaac is ahead of schedule and very impressive. They're gushing over his smarts, size, athleticism and raw talent. Doctors say he's still growing and probably will hit 7'1". In the analytics community Isaac is a total stud, scoring better than everyone BUT Ball.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19681478/most-likely-all-stars-starters-role-players-top-2017-nba-draft

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19403402/potential-2017-nba-draft-steals

I wouldn't probably take a flier on him in re-draft right now but in Dynasty he's a must own. In re-draft he may be a nice add after the all-star break.

Interesting how the #1 pick in the draft has the highest chance out of any of the top 14 guys of becoming just a role player according to that model^^^.

It's not fool proof but I think it really helps to accurately analyze a player.

Isaac may be raw but from a stats perspective his only weakness per 36 would be assists.

One interesting thing I think about with Isaac is that he isn't pegged to be a "superstar" or allstar. But in fantasy he could still have 1st round talent and not be one of those ala Serge Ibaka in his prime. 

In 3-4 years I could see Isaac with AD type numbers almost across the board with about 8-10 less ppg 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kaboom said:

Interesting how the #1 pick in the draft has the highest chance out of any of the top 14 guys of becoming just a role player according to that model^^^.

I think it's at least a a role player.

On 27/07/2017 at 5:51 PM, Spyplane said:

I think it's at least a a role player.

Isn't that the same thing?

On 20/07/2017 at 11:58 AM, thezing1 said:

The Magic organization is my biggest concern with Issac. They could not have developed Aaron Gordon any worse. Payton. Hezonja. Not great....but, it isn't that Magic anymore. They have Hammond now and he obviously drafted Greek Freak, but aside from that his draft history isn't amazing. Issac has some qualities of Greek, a guard that grew into a forward, so I think they will have a decent clue on how to develop him. My concern isn't enough to scare me off of him in dynasty, but it definitely adds risk to the investment. 

I read some article about how Vogel thinks he can play 2, 3, 4, and maybe 5. Usually thats a good thing but in the magic it sounds like they dont know what they are doing.

4 hours ago, rob0403 said:
On 7/27/2017 at 6:14 AM, Spyplane said:

I read some article about how Vogel thinks he can play 2, 3, 4, and maybe 5. Usually thats a good thing but in the magic it sounds like they dont know what they are doing.

Thanks for the links Spyplane. Capela was an analytics stud. He took a while, but he has shown upside and is very useful depending on league settings. But the same was said about Nerlens and he hasn't shown much development. 

I always think the talk about how in love teams are with the draft picks and the versatility they envision them providing is almost always overblown and worthless. What else would you expect a team to say about the player they just drafted for a franchise that is in shambles and picking early in the lottery? Issac isn't going to play the 2 if he fills out his frame and grows to hit 7'1'', which is what it will take for him to play the 5. It sounds nice, but the reality is the Magic just need to find themselves 4 different players to play the 2,3,4,5 because that team is awful (but still might make the playoffs in the East). I'd rather see Issac develop to be the optimal weight for whatever height he grows to and not worry about what position that makes him eligible to play. Young players need the game simplified, which is the exact opposite of learning and playing up to 4 different positions. I was able to draft Issac in my dynasty so I am assuming some "Magic" risk of them screwing him up, but his upside is pretty intriguing. 

On 04/08/2017 at 8:52 PM, rob0403 said:

Isn't that the same thing?

Based on the comment I was replying to, no. It shouldn't be a surprise that he is more likely to atleast be a serviceable player than the rest.

Could be a sneaky 1/1/1 candidate if he gets 20+ minutes or so a game.  Kind of like Chriss last year?  

1 hour ago, hipriest69 said:

Could be a sneaky 1/1/1 candidate if he gets 20+ minutes or so a game.  Kind of like Chriss last year?  

Absolutely! except he's also good at basketball haha

• Haha 1

Picked him up! Nothing wrong with picking a high upside 1/1/1 player on the waiver wire. 

Good first game IMO. 4 pts on 3 shots, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks in 17 min. I'll take it in my keeper league. Love the story about how he forgot his Jersey in the locker room. https://sports.yahoo.com/magic-rookie-jonathan-isaac-forgot-wear-game-nba-debut-184829146.html

I've just got a feeling about this guy. I'm hoping he can keep putting up lines like this and earn more PT as the season wears on. 

• Like 1

Worth a stash if you got space on your bench, IMO.

But probably only in leagues 14+.

So much fantasy potential

• Like 1